PDA

View Full Version : EXTENDED axles... worth the money

rg97
02-14-2013, 11:04 PM
hi, i have someone in my neighborhood selling a +6 inch extended axle that would fit my 83 200x, just wondering if this is a good upgrade, because normally people go with a extended axle with an extended swinger or just a axle that is +2 or +3 in. my X is all stock, so if i can get the axle for the right the right price, is it worth it? thanks in advance for any input
-RG

RIDE-RED 250r
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
I have a DB Eliminator +4 and ITP's that are offset an inch more than OEM each making my R 6" wider than stock. And I wouldn't have it any other way. It's the way they SHOULD have made em!

WIkid500
02-14-2013, 11:46 PM
BUY IT, I'll buy it off you if you don't want it.

rg97
02-14-2013, 11:58 PM
BUY IT, I'll buy it off you if you don't want it.

how much should I be willing to pay? the guy buys and sells old dirt bike and atc stuff all of the time so i have no doubt that he knows what he has, but in his CL ad its just 'best offer'... and i dont know how much to offer him if i want to buy it...:wondering:wondering

yaegerb
02-15-2013, 12:10 AM
how much should I be willing to pay? the guy buys and sells old dirt bike and atc stuff all of the time so i have no doubt that he knows what he has, but in his CL ad its just 'best offer'... and i dont know how much to offer him if i want to buy it...:wondering:wondering

Depends on the manufacturer. Do you know what it is?

Gripit'n'ripit
02-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Looking around, different names and qualities vary in price. Dura-blue for you're machine new is the $500 range. If it's on CL and used, offer less (obviously). Definately worth persuing.
Or (if you're a shrewd and cheap SOB like myself) you can find wheel spacers, maybe hubs from another machine. I'm using TRX hubs on my 250R, they give me almost +1 on each side.

Tri-Z 250
02-15-2013, 11:10 AM
+6" is about as wide as you wanna go IMO. It's more of a trike to turn but getting over the bars more at low speed cures that. If you jump or ride hard, or are thinking of racing, it's the way to go. Spacers IMO move the flex point of the axle, placing the stress point out of it's targeted area. They work in FT and Oval racing just fine...but I wouldn't jump em'. Hardcore trail riding may see you catching the inside tire with a +6" but thats what your stockers for if it suits you better. Sliding the X with the extended axle is where that stablity shines in the +6". I ride extended axles exclusively and recomend them. If what he has is used...the condition is key. $125 tops New old stock $275-300 tops...post pics if you mount it.:naughty:

TimSr
02-15-2013, 11:56 AM
+6 on a 200X might be okay for FT, makes for a poor handling MX machine, is will take the best handling trail machine, and turn it into one of the worst. Friend got a great deal on one, ran it on the MX track and it sucked until I suggested he take the offset rims from his other bike and put them on it backwards to subtract a few inches.

Marty
02-15-2013, 12:17 PM
They are worth every penny! Just dont buy a new one, if you can buy it used and take to a machine shop and have him or her check straightness.

rg97
02-15-2013, 04:38 PM
i would have posted a pic, but for some reason the seller removed them from his ad...:wondering
but anyways, the axle he has (from what i could tell by the CL pics) was brand new, never used but there was no name or identifying mark that i could see. i might not get it anyways, because im on such a tight budget, spending so much $ on my 'shee (i know... its 4 wheels:lol: but :TrikesOwn always) i have at most $150 to 200 to spend on it, and my guess is that the guy wont go that low if it it a Dura blue. +6 just seems a little much, because the main place i would ride is in the tight woods on my property and (eventually) silver lake dunes. i can see it now... a wreck because i clipped a tree cause im too wide:cry:

Dirtcrasher
02-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Yup, not good for MX or tight trail riding. Like you said, clip one tree and it's bent.

Be nice to own though, it's not going to go down in value.

Biggest thing, make sure the axle journals and sealing area are in spec or it is basically useless.

69HemiGTX
02-15-2013, 10:57 PM
If you don't buy the axle and want a little wider stance, just use 400EX/450R hubs. They fit the 200X's splines and move the wheels out 1" on each side. Genuine Honda parts, +2" overall, the ability to widen it more with wheel offset, and all without the trouble of swapping the axle. This is the plan for my 200Xs. Of course, if you don't buy it, pass the info on for our trike brethren.