PDA

View Full Version : drilling spring steel

dustrunner
02-11-2013, 09:50 PM
anyone have any tips on correctly drilling spring steel ?

Ordo
02-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Carbide works well with lots of coolant. Go slow and keep an even amount of pressure on it while drilling. You drilling leaf springs?

El Camexican
02-12-2013, 10:13 AM
The angle of the drill bit tip can also be minimized a bit as well (flatter). Look up drilling tips for stainless steel and you'll find some info that might help.

Xowner
02-12-2013, 10:33 AM
How many holes do you have to drill? We use it on the latemodel car that I help a buddy with and we bought a punch to use to put holes in it. Way easyer then drilling.

beets442
02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
+1 slow and lubed. I've drilled a smaller hole first on a drill press.

dustrunner
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
i got some angle L bed frame and been using it to build stuff... cheaper than buying the good stuff.... would torching a hole in it hurt anything and welding it ?

fabiodriven
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
i got some angle L bed frame and been using it to build stuff... cheaper than buying the good stuff.... would torching a hole in it hurt anything and welding it ?

That stuff is absolute garbage. It's really hard and it snaps. You can't even cut it with most Sawzall blades. Unless you're BCredneck, I wouldn't use it for anything.

Dirtcrasher
02-12-2013, 05:28 PM
^ :lol: Yep, carbide and don't over heat it.

I am yet to figure out why I ever kept any bed frames; They are much to hard to drill.

El Camexican
02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
What Flabio said X 1000! That stuff is made from old railway track (I'm not kidding, I buy some other items made of old rail track down here). It has a super high tensile strength and next to zero ductility, you can't do anything with it after it is hot formed. Best use whatever you have left for marking the rows in your garden and if you have used it for anything your life depends on, get rid of it ASAP!!!

PS. Don't ever try to punch a hole in it, it could cost you an eye, or worse.

dustrunner
02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
ive been uing it for years with no problems... guess i'll hafta stress test some of the older builds ive done with it......

El Camexican
02-13-2013, 07:00 PM
ive been uing it for years with no problems... guess i'll hafta stress test some of the older builds ive done with it......

That type of steel (if its what I think it is) makes great parking lot and driveway rebar (not columns or beams) as well as fence T- posts, but you are asking for trouble if you are using it in an application where flex, or work hardening is an issue. For what little more A36 steel costs I’d stay away from the unknown.

Dirtcrasher
02-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Speedy Metals has anything you want in increments from 12"s and beyond.

They are very reasonable and ship quick.

WIkid500
02-13-2013, 10:58 PM
That stuff is absolute garbage. It's really hard and it snaps. You can't even cut it with most Sawzall blades. Unless you're BCredneck, I wouldn't use it for anything.

Hahah, So true!

I use that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro for target stands, works great for shooting at with the rifle. Not much good for anything else though.