PDA

View Full Version : Second Generation 200X Suspension Mods

Bilster
02-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Hey everyone,

Been out of the 3 wheel scene for quite awhile. What are the hot available suspension mods for an 86 200X that will see some motocross and trail use? I'm not looking for any input as far as engine power is concerned. I'm a bit of a handling freak. I know the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen Xs don't share much in the suspension or drive train so I'm having trouble researching just 2nd Gen suspension mods. Is there another three wheeler with better front suspension that will bolt on....either with mods or no mods. I have access to a machine shop. Generally speaking, what are the goals for setting up a suspension in a three wheeler that will see moto x duty? What ride height is best? What is the function of different size front wheels?

In my wicked youth, I owned a few very nice 3 wheelers. I broke in on a 200x, then a near show room 1984 Tecate and finally a '85 250R. But other than fooling around with factory shock setting, I did nothing to improve handling other than flat track style rear tires on all of them. It wasn't until I started playing with autocross cars did I start understanding the significance behind what a modification is supposed to do. So now I'm back where I began in motorsports and looking to learn what's available to get the most from my machines. So anything you can feed me, I'll gobble up.

pipeline triker
02-05-2013, 03:17 PM
What do you wheigh ? That determans alot as to what you need. Start with new bushings and seals if needed. Make sure everthing is smooth and no binding. Heavier oil in the stock forks with progressive springs all around make a big differance.

Bilster
02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
165 lbs with full riding gear. And freshening up the existing platform is great advice.
Wider axles seem to be a given but what about a two inch extension to the swingarm? Again...why do people change the diameter of the front wheel? I know my Tecate had a much smaller wheel than the 250R but I didn't notice or can't remember what the difference in handling the wheel diameter made. Just that the 250R was purchased new and was the latest technology at the time.

rg97
02-05-2013, 06:05 PM
165 lbs with full riding gear. And freshening up the existing platform is great advice.
Wider axles seem to be a given but what about a two inch extension to the swingarm? Again...why do people change the diameter of the front wheel? I know my Tecate had a much smaller wheel than the 250R but I didn't notice or can't remember what the difference in handling the wheel diameter made. Just that the 250R was purchased new and was the latest technology at the time.
i think that a smaller rim would give you a little more shock absorption in the front, as there is more rubber sidewall to take up shock instead or aluminum rim. an extended swingarm with a extended axle is a great combo imho

pipeline triker
02-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Finding a 86-87 extended axle is as easy to find as the loch ness monster, I have G-force hubs on a stock axle and ride hard, some big airs, no problems for 3 + years. You can put a first gen x or an 83-84 R axle in you just need to use a few diffrant seals and stuff. A progressive rear spring is going to be to stiff for you I would put a first gen x spring on yours first and see how you like that. A plus 2 swinger would be nice but you will have to make it. I can not imagine how my x would rip if I only was 165. I was down to 210 this last summer and could tell the differance.

Bilster
02-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Ha Ha....yeah...when I was racing two wheel open class on a 450R, I was only 135 lbs. Never was able to get the suspension tuned but everyone knew....even the occasional factory rider, that I was going to be the first one to the first corner. At first they would ask, " What the hell have you done to your motor?" I would tell them it was showroom stock but I only weighed 135 lbs. They would laugh and just catch me by the third lap. The introduction to the 45 minute moto spelled curtains to my racing career. They didn't make 450R suspension for a lightweight and the pounding was too much.

deathman53
02-12-2013, 09:16 AM
here is what I did on mine. 85 350x triples, 83/84 250r forks/front end, 83/84 250r rear axle(+4 of stock 200x axle), sidewinder and others have 38-36t sprockets for it. I also grinded the steering stops back so it turns the most. For the rear shock, you need to get another no-link of a similar length, maybe 250x/300ex? and have it done for your bike(valving will be way off).

Bilster
02-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks, deathman53. This gives me great material to research. Are the 350X triples a straight bolt on?

deathman53
02-17-2013, 08:24 PM
yes, they are. 85 350x had the ball bearings. 86 350x had tapered bearing, both will work. It would be a good idea to change over to tapered steering stem bearings anyway.

RapidRick
02-18-2013, 09:34 AM
May look something like this :naughty:

Bilster
02-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Very nice, RapidRick. So what is your thinking behind switching to tapered bearing?

RapidRick
02-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks

More surface contact than the ball bearings. Seems to be a popular swap. With the number of trikes I have to ride I'd never get close to wearing ball bearings out. But everything was a part so I went ahead and made the switch.

Dirtcrasher
02-19-2013, 08:20 PM
If your that light weight then the 86/87 suspension should be just fine unless your jumping 50' doubles.

Very good to tear the forks down and rebuild them (most are bent) and the rear shock is probably OEM and never serviced.

Quite a few people out there offer a very reasonable rear shock rebuild. One guy on EBAY sold me a "kit" to rebuild mine as well as a service which again was reasonable. But I never even ride it. Much more fun with my 350X's..........:D

Bilster
02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
So if I lengthen the swing arm about 3", the extra leverage created will require some shock spring replacement and possible revalving....correct?

oldskool83
02-21-2013, 08:52 PM
yes. your will bottom out like a mofo now. buy a works shock get a plus 2 swingarms. end the saga. Thats gonna run ya $600 prob.