PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/oiling foam air filters - what do you use?

Big G
01-31-2013, 06:07 PM
This is my second question today - sorry about that. I searched previous posts, but couldn't really find a straight answer to my questions:

- What do you wash your Uni foam air filter with? I've heard you can use warm water and dish soap, which seems odd to me. I've only ever used gas, but it's obviously not the best stuff to be muckin' around with, so if water/soap solution works then I'd rather go that route.

- What type of oil do you use to oil the filter? I know there's oil specially formulated for foam air filters, but if a guy were to make do with something else, what would you suggest? Good 'ol 10w30, chainsaw bar oil, 2 stroke oil, 80w90 gear oil, etc...?

Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate the help!

Jason125m
01-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Probably not much help, but I buy the notoil brand foam filter cleaner, and use k&n filter oil.

atc007
01-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Gas, then ,hot soapy water to clean. Dry in sun or overnight. Put in a quality Zip lock bag with 10w 40. Oil it,get all the excess off,install. Just like the manual tells you,except for the gas part lol.

dougspcs
01-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Hot soapy water to wash, dry really well as Bill said, then use ATF and message it into the foam..

M.Pargiello
01-31-2013, 07:15 PM
I have this blue filter oil. Forget what it is called (super m or something). Sticky as hell

WIkid500
01-31-2013, 07:23 PM
A pan of gas to clean the filter. It breaks down the oil much better than soapy water. I tried the soapy water once... Never again! Gas is the key, and it drys fast. Then I put some UNI filter oil on my hand and rub it into the outer foam of the UNI filter. That stuff is sticky, think honey, but it works and keeps my engine free of dirt. You don't need a lot of oil, just so it makes the foam oily feeling. If it drips or collects on the bottom you have too much.

RoscoW
01-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Right from the source
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xFsEmHX5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuYBh7eYn1I

I think substituting to std motor oil is OK if you don't want to buy "the filter oil". I'm also going to say that how you service it and when is probably more important than what you use on it. Get the technique and frequency right and you could probably use "I can't believe it's not butter spray" and get better results than a filter with dry spots.

Ross..

kb0nly
01-31-2013, 08:25 PM
All the ATC manuals recommend 80w gear lube, saturate the foam then wring out the excess, thats how i have done it for over 20 years. I wash with hot soapy water, Dawn dish soap works the best. Gas or other solvents cause the foam to break down faster, washing with soap and water i have gotten ten years out of a single filter, using gas on them they usually start to break down and fall apart in 2-3 years.

09RappySE
01-31-2013, 09:28 PM
I use maxima stuff, works great.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=260

Yamaha_Rules69
01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
I use and very much like the No toil products. You can buy the cleaning powder that you just put 1/4 cup into a ice cream bucket, and fill with water. It works VERY good, the filter looks brand new every time. You can also use the powder in the washing machine, and wash your filter in there. The stuff is 100 percent biodegradible, wont hurt your hands, and has no foul odor. After letting the filter air dry, I like to use the no toil filter oil. It is red colored, and super sticky. It comes in a spray can, so makes it easy to evenly coat the filter. I also like their filters, they flow extremely well, and dont let ANY dirt or water through, as long as its been properly oiled. Heres the website, you gotta check this stuff you if your still washing your filters in gasoline! It is available at most motorcycle shops. http://www.notoil.com/

Gripit'n'ripit
01-31-2013, 10:27 PM
I was in soapy water and No Toil filter oil. May take a little longer to wash, but no complaints.

Dirtcrasher
02-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Gas, then ,hot soapy water to clean. Dry in sun or overnight. Put in a quality Zip lock bag with 10w 40. Oil it,get all the excess off,install. Just like the manual tells you,except for the gas part lol.

I do the same but I use spray air filter . Hang them on my trucks antenna to dry. Then I put my hand in a grocery bag and spray away. Then pop it on.

Make SURE you do not have ANY oil on the inside of the boot, or it can fall off.

I need to start making air box support rings.........

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/101_0630.jpg

Dirtcrasher
02-01-2013, 03:08 PM

I do the same but I use spray air filter . Hang them on my trucks antenna to dry. Then I put my hand in a grocery bag and spray away. Then pop it on using the same bag to install it.

Make SURE you do not have ANY oil on the inside of the boot, or it can fall off.

I need to start making air box support rings.........

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/101_0630.jpg

El Camexican
02-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Probably not much help, but I buy the notoil brand foam filter cleaner, and use k&n filter oil.

To clarify, you are using K&N spray oil on a foam filter? I tried it once in a pinch and it all dripped off. It is made to absorb into gauze (K&N filters). It just beads up and rolls off foam.

keister
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Simple Green is a good cleaner. Just spray it on, let it soak in for a while, then hose it off.

blue27
02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Dawn dish soap, been using it for years, safe and it works. Its what they use on the oil soaked birds when there is a spill. If you are in a hurry to dry it put it in the dryer with a towel but not the microwave,lol I know!! I use Honda foam filter oil sticky as all heck so where gloves or pour some oil on it and put it in a large ziplock bag and work in in.

Big G
02-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Lots of good information. Thanks guys!

Bryan Raffa
02-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Gas ... or the parts washer at the shop when its fresh.. air compressor on the foam and air dry on the K&N I have found that belray foam oil works good on a k&n and traps more dust due to the stickyness... is it me or is the k&n oil getting thinner? it seems to be on the frame and floor on a hot day. always use a Outerware! or precharger! they will catch 90% of the Chit... I clean them in gas also ,, blow out with air..