PDA

View Full Version : atc70 running rich at idle

dakotab
01-31-2013, 03:00 PM
i picked up a 83 atc70. guy told me it was parked last year due to broke pull cord. i replaced the pull cord, cleaned the carb, new plug and checked valve clearance. didnt have the air filter foam when i got it and local shop didnt have one so i got some 5/8" uni foam and doubled it up where the original would have went. the baffle/ arrestor is also cut out of the muffler but endcap is on. it starts and runs but runs best with pilot screwed all the way in and when playing with the throttle the idle is erratic. it revs high sometimes and low others. i was thinking maybe the throttle cable is hanging up but with it idling normal at times with the pilot all the way in and the idle screw actually working im kinda doubting its the cable. any suggestions? sorry for the long post but the more info the better. thanx

dakotab
01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
no onehave any ideas?

dakotab
01-31-2013, 11:29 PM
anyone know the stock clip position for the needle?

old-yellow
02-01-2013, 12:12 AM
here a link to a some service manuals for it http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

dakotab
02-01-2013, 12:38 AM
thanks but the manual didnt really give any info

dakotab
02-01-2013, 02:46 AM
sweet! got it figured out! took the carb back off to check the needle clip setting and found out that the spring piece that is supposed to hold the needle down was UNDER the needle which was basically richening it by about 3 clip positions. the clip was set on the 2nd one from the bottom, i figured id leave that there for now. its now idling nice and sweet and the pilot screw actually works now. woot!

dakotab
02-05-2013, 06:35 PM
update: i thought it was solved... but that was just idling in my garage. i finally got a new tank and rode it today. ran pretty good but had to open the throttle on restarts. figured id lean out the pilot some. pilot had very little effect on idle and i was able to close it all the way and it still idle and run good. restarts without throttle now also. so..... is my float needle not sealing and letting in too much fuel since its running without the pilot?