PDA

View Full Version : Another good days hunt..found a decent project 250ES

dougspcs
01-30-2013, 12:38 PM
I was looking for another 250ES and posted an add online in the local BB..anyway I got a response and picked up another machine today for $300.

Condition is good mechanically, plastic is harsh but a good deal just the same..

Anyway a whole box of parts came with it, some old some new in package OEM..I was really excited to find a genuine Honda ATC speedo and the drive end is still on the trike.

Problem is the cable is broken..anyone aware of a suitable replacement? Or possibly have one to sell??

Jason125m
01-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Nice Doug, wow, those es look funny with 22" tires and sx motors.

dougspcs
01-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Nice Doug, wow, those es look funny with 22" tires and sx motors.

Yeah I know, its a bit of a mutt..but I'd deal with that as needed.

I think the black motor looks cool!

Big G
01-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Decent tank, decent seat...there's 300 bucks right there. Good score!

SGabe
01-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Whoa someone went crazy with the rivet gun!!! Good pull man. I myself picked up a bike for $300 today. The Trike Gods smile upon us today.

dougspcs
01-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Decent tank, decent seat...there's 300 bucks right there. Good score!

My thoughts too..

Seat, tank is spotless inside and out, front fender, differential, trunk lid and box, headlamp, carb, airbox..lots of other good parts.

Even if the motor is toast I won't lose money..PO said it ran when shoved in the barn 5-6 years ago. I'll see how lucky I am this weekend maybe..

If it runs then I think it's a total score..

Whoa someone went crazy with the rivet gun!!! Good pull man. I myself picked up a bike for $300 today. The Trike Gods smile upon us today.

Actually the thought crossed my mind to keep the plastic and call if the Bonnie & Clyde trike!! ;)

ps2fixer
01-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Nice find, my $200 beater from a few months ago was 10x worse shape, welded to, and such. I agree though... a big red with a 250sx and 22in tires looks pretty funny, and looks a lot like the machine I picked up thinking it was a 250sx, then I got it home and it clicked... 250es front end with the rear fender welded on O.o.

I put up an ad on craigslist as well and I think I got a good response, I'll see if the trike gods are on my side as well hopefully this weekend :).

JasonB
01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
great score! Just started searching CL myself for deals again, want another trike for the garage lol a big red or 250es would be nice!

atc007
01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Nice score again! I Think the Honda XL 250 cable ,,,78 ?? May fit the speedo,,but,,,you could just sell me the speedo and save all that hassle !!

dougspcs
01-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Nice find, my $200 beater from a few months ago was 10x worse shape, welded to, and such. I agree though... a big red with a 250sx and 22in tires looks pretty funny, and looks a lot like the machine I picked up thinking it was a 250sx, then I got it home and it clicked... 250es front end with the rear fender welded on O.o.

I put up an ad on craigslist as well and I think I got a good response, I'll see if the trike gods are on my side as well hopefully this weekend :).

That tank is awesome..good inside too?

SX motor looks great..don't know what you guys have against it?

But damn, those car wheels are hilarious!!

dougspcs
01-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Nice score again! I Think the Honda XL 250 cable ,,,78 ?? May fit the speedo,,but,,,you could just sell me the speedo and save all that hassle !!

I ordered the cable for the CB350K which was closer to the original length at 33"..I think I looked at the XL250 cable but it was 38".

Oh well, it was only $17 delivered..so worth a shot.

If the speedo turns out to be a hassle Bill, you'll be the 1st guy I call!! :)

ps2fixer
01-30-2013, 05:04 PM
That tank is awesome..good inside too?

SX motor looks great..don't know what you guys have against it?

But damn, those car wheels are hilarious!!

Yea, those tires came on "Franken-buggie" the parts bike that came with 4 other machines. Franken-buggy was parted out, and my cuz needed some tires to try on his 250r that stuck out wider for some sand riding, so yea... those car tires I know fit :).

Also I have nothing against the 250sx, just the big red plastics you expect silver. My favorite all around trike is a 85 250sx currently (see attachment), I hope to change that with my 350x once I get it fixed up good :).

Fungo Wizard
01-31-2013, 12:04 AM
Nice find, I have two 85 reds sitting under tarp in about that shape that I need to start tearing into. I gotta quit reading these posts though cause I am at a point in my life where I have defeated the trike buying demons but you guys finds are making me weak. LOL

dougspcs
01-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Nice find, I have two 85 reds sitting under tarp in about that shape that I need to start tearing into. I gotta quit reading these posts though cause I am at a point in my life where I have defeated the trike buying demons but you guys finds are making me weak. LOL

A recovering alcoholic can't hang out in a bar then blame his buddies for feeling tempted..!!

But why did you decide to quit drinking anyway?

Comeon..pull up a stool! You know you wanna.

rttuck21
01-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Thats a good find on the big red, Either set of fenders on the back of those big reds look alot better than mine, one of mine is totally gone, and the other side is a sizuki fender hacked up and bolted on, Anyone got a set of beater fenders that could be sent my way??? I liked the rivets lol

ps2fixer
01-31-2013, 03:31 AM
Thats a good find on the big red, Either set of fenders on the back of those big reds look alot better than mine, one of mine is totally gone, and the other side is a sizuki fender hacked up and bolted on, Anyone got a set of beater fenders that could be sent my way??? I liked the rivets lol

You could always get a plastic barrel and bolt it to what is left of the fenders, I have a 250es like that, ugliest one I have but runs pretty good :D.

redsox
01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
let us know if that cable works. i gotta order one.

dougspcs
01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
let us know if that cable works. i gotta order one.

Will do...

Fungo Wizard
01-31-2013, 03:08 PM
LOL!!! Yes I know I wanna but my trikes anonymous class would shun me if I did!

A recovering alcoholic can't hang out in a bar then blame his buddies for feeling tempted..!!

But why did you decide to quit drinking anyway?

Comeon..pull up a stool! You know you wanna.

dougspcs
02-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Well my great deal turned out just to be a good deal on a decent parts trike.

Definitely not a runner..installed a battery and turned it over with the compression gauge in.

BANG, BANG, BANG..sounds like a connecting rod. Funny thing is it still has full compression..

So anyway there I am with an ugly runner trike that everything has been screwed around with, a parts trike and a NOS engine under my bench.

I kinda feel my 1st strip and restore coming on..it won't be up to Kasey's calibre but it might give me a really nice trike I can ride for years.