PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket Wear

ZacH_GrifF
01-29-2013, 09:57 PM
I have a 83 185s that I am changing the sprockets and chain on and would like to know what causes the sprocket to wear like this? Is it too tight or too loose or just wear over time? Oh and I'm gearing the ratio down from a 41t rear to a 44t rear for bigger tires, so do I need to go up to a 84l chain instead of 82l chain?

WIkid500
01-29-2013, 10:39 PM
As a chain is used the pins wear against the rollers. If you measure a new chain the distance on the outer edge of two rollers will be the shortest it will ever be. As the chain wears the pins become smaller allowing the rollers to become farther apart. When the distance between the rollers grows this allows the chain to climb up the sprockets. When that happens the sprockets start to wear and begin looking like yours. When you replace the sprockets buy a new chain.

Most likely you will have to get a longer chain with the bigger sprocket, not sure though.

TimSr
01-29-2013, 10:47 PM
I have a 83 185s that I am changing the sprockets and chain on and would like to know what causes the sprocket to wear like this? Is it too tight or too loose or just wear over time? Oh and I'm gearing the ratio down from a 41t rear to a 44t rear for bigger tires, so do I need to go up to a 84l chain instead of 82l chain?

Thats normal wear. Looks liek you got a lot of miles on that one.

You chain is probably stretched out quite a bit, so you'll probably need an extra link or two even before you consider whats needed for a larger sprocket. I would get about a 90 link, and then cut it down to what you need. It might be hard to find anything shorter than a 95 anyways. The price difference between an 84 and a 95 link chain is probably under $2.

ZacH_GrifF
01-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Yea I'm getting new sprockets front and rear and a new chain. It has the factory sprockets and chain on it so yea it's got a lot of miles on them. And I have a motorcycle shop down the road from where I live that will cut any length chain I need so if anybody knows a number of links that work from personal experience that would be great.