PDA

View Full Version : 250 R Questions!

LastFoolerInVA
01-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Hey, a few questions to all the R riders... I'm rebuilding my 85 over the winter.. but I had an 86 parts bike & motor to grab parts off of.... just wanted some opinions on which year had better parts: like front forks & triples, rear suspension, tranny, frames... etc.. for example, I thought I read somewhere the 86 transmission was better than the 85, but when I looked in the manual, it lists the gear ratio's the same... I dont have any experience with an 86 (and limited experience with my 85, only owned it a lil over a year) so just looking for some suggestions... thanks!

Swinger
01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
I would say that the parts that arent the exact same would be an up grade on the 86. The 85 had different springs which are a 2 piece in 85 versus the 86 with a single spring. Actually a good bit of small things are different between the 2 and is more than I feel like typing but you can do a search and sure u will come up with a bunch of things like rear brakes, suspension, wiring/cdi,plastics ect..

fire1
01-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Not sure if Kasey did a thread on this board but I know he did a thread on org listing some of the differences. You might do a search there's lots of post listing differences
Here's link to org thread if its not ok to post mod delete
http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?38410-1985-Atc250r-Vs-1986-Atc250r

LastFoolerInVA
01-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the input, but I'm not really looking for the "differences" I have both bikes & can tell most of them, although I have to admit, I wasn't aware of the kicker & clutch differences, but I was really leaning towards which one you prefer & why... since I have the availability to re-build either one.... I want to build the best one... another example... the rake on the frame... I would prefer the 85 frame over the 86... the 86 may be more stable, but I would prefer to turn sharper....

so I was just putting the feelers out there to see what everyone else thinks... thanks...

fire1
01-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Sorry I misread your question

LastFoolerInVA
01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Sorry I misread your question

I tried to follow the link you posted, but it wouldnt load

fire1
01-28-2013, 04:25 PM
I tried to follow the link you posted, but it wouldnt load
I think they are having issues with the board

keister
01-28-2013, 04:35 PM
That site has been down all afternoon.

Mosh
01-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Its really all in your preference. If you are a shorter rider, you will most likely like the 85 seat as it is lower or vice versa. The engine differences other than the updated kicker spacers are minimal and there has always been speculation the 85 engine ran stronger stock for stock based on peoples opinions. There is really no verification on that though. Personally I like the black color on the engine.

There are a host of mechanical updates though. For me I prefer 85 frames. They just handle better IMO. I also prefer the look and availability of the 85 headlight set-up over the 86. Much easier to get 85 light stuff and aftermarket shrouds and in different colors, vs the 86 style.

However, the 86 swingarm is better for parts availability, but tend to crack around the carrier more than the 85 swinger does. The 86 had stronger footpegs but do not directly bolt on as far as I know, but can be adapted to fit from what I understand. I also prefer the natural color top tripple on the 85 over the black 86 tripple.
But the 86 carb and wire harness and CDI are much better to run from a parts availabilty and performance standpoint. IMO I prefer 85 chassis stuff with the 86 carb and wire harness and CDI. If you can find a clean 86 swinger then run that on the 85, but they do crack, eventually. However, you will have a easier time swapping brake components and axles and carriers on the 86 swingarm set-ups.

As for fork differences, get a set of Progressives and forget about the stock springs.

LastFoolerInVA
01-29-2013, 11:31 AM
sweet... thanks for the info Mosh :beer