PDA

View Full Version : My First 3rd Gen 250R - The Daily Driver

yaegerb
01-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Well, thanks to BKM, I finally have a new horse in my barn. You may recognize this 250R from Bryan's previous posts. He decided to thin the herd and let me join the 250R club and I must say, I am happy to be here. I won't be going gonzo on this bike...yet...LOL. For this year I will just be doing some maintenance items and getting it ready for some St. Joe trips this spring/summer. Currently on the rebuild list is a new set of front fork oil/dust seals and new OEM boots (Thanks Caesar!). While I am in there I am going to drop in some progressive springs. Other than that I am going to upgrade to a 38MM PWK and install some new reeds and she will be good to go!

stroberts22
01-21-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm ready for a st joes trip.

bkm
01-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm just glad it went to a good home. It looks so much better in your garage.lol

RIDE-RED 250r
01-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Welcome to the club Yeagerb!

That 38PWK is going to wake that thing up nicely.

But I'm here to tell ya, hopping these things up is addictive! Won't be long and you'll be looking at big bores... ;)

yaegerb
01-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Welcome to the club Yeagerb!

That 38PWK is going to wake that thing up nicely.

But I'm here to tell ya, hopping these things up is addictive! Won't be long and you'll be looking at big bores... ;)

That's what I hear! The aftermarket parts availability for these is ridiculous and way more plentiful than the 200x. I am like a kid in a candy store :)

the great gazoo
01-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Nice looking rig, congrats!

ceaserthethird
01-22-2013, 02:17 AM
She looks good & welcome to the 250R club :)

JasonB
01-22-2013, 11:49 AM
welcome to the club! I cant say enough good stuff about BKM, grreat guy and awesome to get stuff powdercoated through! anything special done or is that bike just bored and ported? a 38mm will be a nice upgrade to start with, just be careful because the mods dont end with the water cooled bikes :D

Im excited for st joes this year, finally going to have sand paddles to race their with hopefully they dont cover all the sand with rock :( stupid lead hazard hahaha

yaegerb
01-22-2013, 12:13 PM
welcome to the club! I cant say enough good stuff about BKM, grreat guy and awesome to get stuff powdercoated through! anything special done or is that bike just bored and ported? a 38mm will be a nice upgrade to start with, just be careful because the mods dont end with the water cooled bikes :D

Im excited for st joes this year, finally going to have sand paddles to race their with hopefully they dont cover all the sand with rock :( stupid lead hazard hahaha

Thanks Jason! Yep, Bryan is a helluva guy and we have become pretty good friends over the past two years. funny that we haven't ridden together yet...LOL I am hoping we can change that this spring! He really needs let that sick (Dcreel)Tecate eat some St. Joe's :)

Nothing to fancy on motor mods with the bike thus far. It has a RAD valve, 36MM PJ (off of an 86 250R), on its second bore and has an FMF fatty pipe/silencer. No port or polish...yet. I am going to do a few maintenance items - Rebuild front forks with progressive springs, new seals, new fork oil, etc. Also going to put new reeds in and upgrade to a 38MM PWK. That will be about it before St. Joe's.

dcreel
01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm building an '86 atc250r now, we'll have to get a ride together this spring..

JasonB
01-22-2013, 01:28 PM
st joe will be fun this year, cant wait to ride with more locals! Theres a decent sized group of us that needs to get together! we should set up a ride

bkm
01-22-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm building an '86 atc250r now, we'll have to get a ride together this spring..How in the hell did it happen to where you are building Honda's and I'm building Kawi's. Are we sure the Mayans weren't talking about the world ending in 2013?:D

yaegerb
01-22-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm building an '86 atc250r now, we'll have to get a ride together this spring..

I really hope we get together this spring Doug. I have heard lots of great things about you from Bryan and would love to get a ride together with all of us mid-westerners.

Rebel Customs
02-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Very nice..

atc007
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Nice ride. the more you ride it,the more you'll understand the " 250R thing" !!! Amazing little pieces of equipment.. Too bad the guy you got it from neglected it so bad... JUST KIDDING !!

loshe191
02-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Nice looking R!

Cave Rider
02-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Brraaaaaapppp!!!!!

yaegerb
03-05-2013, 01:39 PM
So for the past month I have been getting the bike ready for St. Joe and performing some general maintenance (anal) items.

Some pictures below of various things I have been doing. The most noteworthy are getting the front forks rebuilt with progressive springs and fresh oil and new OEM boots back on, replacing the PJ with a 38MM airstriker, and scored a set of IMS Roll Design footpegs with the Jason Hall mount. Thanks to all who have been feeding my habits, LOL

t65h
04-04-2013, 09:38 PM
yaegerb that is a nice r. I am also a new 85 250r owner. Where did you find those pegs? I rode one of my r's last weekend for the first time, and need a more stable peg. I had a bad ankle injury a year ago and need more support. Thanks.

yaegerb
04-04-2013, 09:43 PM
I bought those pegs from another individual on the boards. As soon as I saw his ad I jumped on it. Those are the 450r ims roll pegs with the Jason Hall adapters. They are like bear traps, I love them! Maybe contact Hall to see if he has any adapters left then you can get a pair of 450 ims roll pegs off of ebay. Thanks for the compliments!

yaegerb
07-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi All,
Its taken a little bit of time to get all the parts made, but here is my most recent change for my 250R airbox. If you want one of these the information for ordering is below....its a two-step process, lol.

Step 1: Airbox frame which he makes for the 85 and 86 ATC 250R, contact Pumashine at the following email address: PumaRocks@Comcast.net (you can also send him a PM at trx250r.org). Overall its a great product. The frame with bolts and nuts is $20.00 which includes shipping.

Step 2: Email Outerwears, specifically, steveg@outerwears.com (his name is Steve Giebel). You need to tell him you want custom part number 100-3839. The name of this number is O/W custom WRRD Airbox to fit 1985 ATC 250R. The price on the material is $21.45 + 15.00 custom fee. Also when you get the material in, you will have to cut holes in the material for the frame bolts. Its pretty easy, I did it by marking where the bolts will go and cutting an "x" in the material with a razor blade.

Pictures below. Thought I would share and let me know if you have any other questions.

bkm
07-26-2013, 01:40 PM
That turned out great. I might have to get one of those.

Dirtweed
07-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Maybe it's a good thing I have a 1st Gen and not a 3rd Gen R. I'd be going crazy on it with upgrades.

yaegerb
07-26-2013, 01:42 PM
oh indeed sir. I am very happy with the overall quality and look of the mod.

yaegerb
04-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Got everything wrapped up tonight. Only thing I am missing are the new 250R stickers for the shrouds. I thought while I was prepping for the dunes I would make some updates. They are below.

Installed LSR Axcaliber +4 Axle and LSR antifade
Installed new rear rotor
Powdercoated swinger and hubs and new prolink stickers
Installed new carrier bearings, seals and delrin bushings
Installed front and rear stainless steel brakelines
Installed ASV brake and clutch levers
Installed renthal "desert bend" bars
Intalled new bushings and seals in both front forks
Hand lapped head and cylinder
Powdercoated head and cylinder
Powdered my headlight guard and my rear OEM grab bar
Added white plastic and NOS seat
Imbibed a lot of Coors

And she's ready for the dance......

Mr. Clean
04-29-2015, 10:53 PM
Imbibed a lot of Coors

^^^^ Need to perform an upgrade on this line item....

Looks GREAT Brendon!!!

yaegerb
04-29-2015, 10:53 PM
^^^^ Need to perform an upgrade on this line item....

Looks GREAT Brendon!!!

LOL! I was out of keystone ;)

Thanks Mike!

Onetrackmind
04-30-2015, 02:23 PM
Like I said earlier...it looks awesome with all the white! Great job on everything else and thanks for all of the input.