PDA

View Full Version : TT Tires

nstyle73
01-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm interested in running a TT event, something like Ashtabula, right and left turns with small elevation changes and wondered what some of the typical tire/rim combos are. Mainly, can you run 10" rims since the threat of oblonging them is considerably less than in motocross or are the 8's and 9's better for side wall flex. Also, I have seen some of the carlisle "lawnmower" tires bolted up and wondered how they actually perform. I hate to spend a lot as its possibly a once or twice a year thing, so I'm thinking some 18" duro HF245's on 8" rims, possibly grooved.

TimSr
01-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Jackie Meadows swore by lawnmower tires and they worked well for him. I love the Carlisle Turf Savers I run for FT, TT, and most indoor tracks. 18x9.5-8. Most lawnmower tires are 15-20 psi tires, so sidewall flex is not an issue with 8". Those fancy tires look prettier if you have lots of money to toss around, but especially if you're just getting into the sport, I wouldn't go that route.

Bryan Raffa
01-21-2013, 11:49 PM
like tim says go to your local walmart and buy some mower tires! the best tire you can get are the ones Jackie WON With...:lol:

nstyle73
01-22-2013, 12:04 AM
LOL, true I suppose. I'm guessing the rider made a difference. Its the same principle, biting edges, I just know what those turf tires do on my lawnmower. I have a Rural King rebate coming..... Thanks for the info.

atc300r
01-22-2013, 02:06 PM
I picked these up at a local lawnmower/tire shop. (on 81 250r)They are the same as what Jackie Meadows ran at Ashtabula last year.I paid $42 apiece for them. 18x9.50 x8 . i mounted them on stock 200x rims.161544 161545

jays375
02-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Anybody really have any experience with using these tires.Compared to using Hoosier or American Racers 8".

atc300r
02-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Jackie Meadows won Ashtabula last year with the #111 TPC trike in my post above .He chose these tires over Hoosiers,Duros ,ect,ect ,ect.

CRAZY70MAN
02-24-2013, 07:31 PM
There are several types. I personally have a set of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/DURO-ECONOMY-FLAT-TRACK-TT-ATV-TIRES-REAR-18-x-11-8-/150945879215?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23251354af&vxp=mtr You can find them cheaper and use them for mx/tt. They have great forward bite even in wet grass and softer soils but slide great on clay. I was really happy with them at Pine Lake last summer and I get use out of them year round as I just ran them at Summit Indoor mx yesterday on my Tri z and they performed great for me. Hoosiers and the like can get pretty expensive for a special purpose tire in my opinion. You can find them at the tracks though used for a good price if you do some leg work.

yaegerb
02-24-2013, 08:59 PM
I will still pick up a set of garden tires to run on my 200x flat track bike, but I also love my hoosiers. I used the site below to find my tractor tires.

http://www.petestirestore.com/Lawn-Mower-Tires-and-Lawn-Tractor-Tires/All-Lawn-Mower-Tires-and-Lawn-Tractor-Tires-c49/

RoscoW
02-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Here's another source for turf tires. http://www.titantirestore.com/index.html
I had a set of 20x10x10 Armstrong turf savers at one time and found that they hooked up really well but allowed the rear to slide a lot better than a knobby. I ended up studding them for ice use because of the flat profile.

Ross..

brd812
02-24-2013, 10:00 PM
We would run tri tracs (Hoosiers) when the track was soft and had a lot of moisture in it. Lawn savers worked best during hard pack and dry conditions and wore like iron. We would groove the lawn savers with angle grooves and beat the snot out of them. For the money the lawn savers are the best. I have melted down a set of tri tracs in one night of racing, 320 bucks liquidified , but you can't put a price on fun.

nstyle73
03-07-2013, 10:47 PM
I took everyone's advice and bought some "lawnmower tires" $25 for the pair, never mounted but stupid me paid to have them shipped from MI......Guy thought I was crazy, told me to go down to Farm and Fleet. He took the craigslist ad down or I would put up the link. I told him that the kind he had were the best kind of lawnmower tire I could find and they didn't make them anymore. I would put them on the John Deere, but since they are 8" tires, I guess I'll have to use them for TT. Pics from the ad are below. Just arrived tonight.

TheBlueWale
03-07-2013, 11:41 PM
I took everyone's advice and bought some "lawnmower tires" $25 for the pair, never mounted but stupid me paid to have them shipped from MI......Guy thought I was crazy, told me to go down to Farm and Fleet. He took the craigslist ad down or I would put up the link. I told him that the kind he had were the best kind of lawnmower tire I could find and they didn't make them anymore. I would put them on the John Deere, but since they are 8" tires, I guess I'll have to use them for TT. Pics from the ad are below. Just arrived tonight.

Those tires are no good, use that catapult of yours to launch them a few miles north of you.

I have some mower tires for you if you want to trade, lol

Nice Score!

M.Pargiello
03-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Lucky trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro! How did I miss those?!?

yaegerb
03-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Lucky....geeze man, go buy a lottery ticket. 25 bucks!?

nstyle73
03-08-2013, 12:43 AM
They were listed in the Grand Rapids CL, the ad was like 3 weeks old when I called the guy. I was sure they would be gone.

BWard
03-08-2013, 02:50 AM
WOW, I know a wheeler you have that would LOVE to have them,
Awesome Find.

nstyle73
03-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Exactly, haven't gotten started on it, but getting close.

Keith Salyer
03-09-2013, 02:35 PM
That was a lucky find in terms of vintage rare parts and probably worth more than you paid for them BUT!! from the racer side of things they were pretty crappy in the traction department. When Mike Coe stated a while back in his racing days thread that a lot of races were lost because of the tires they were required to run, this tire was probably at the top of that list. I had a set and they were like running slicks. I never found the right track where they would work. They are a great piece of three wheeled history no doubt. Great find.

nstyle73
03-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah, now I have $50 in a set of tires and I still need a set of lawnmower tires.....When I got them I looked and I would say they have been mounted, but the nipples are still on them. I have a use for them though.

TheBlueWale
03-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah, now I have $50 in a set of tires and I still need a set of lawnmower tires.....When I got them I looked and I would say they have been mounted, but the nipples are still on them. I have a use for them though.

Please post some pictures when mounted on the machine that they are supposed to be on, hopefully they'll be on a Team Green and not one of those Red ones that are usually seen with them.