PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up camper hauler

3Queen
01-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Has anyone done a rack on top of a pop-up to haul their toys on? If so I would love to see pics and get some details on what needs to be done. Any info is appreciated, thanks

Big Mike
01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
If you're talking hauling 3 wheelers on top of a pop-up, thats a risky one. Unless you know that roof is damn solid, I wouldnt do it. But if you absolutely want to do it, I would build a rack to put over the roof with some sort of support to the side walls of the camper to help carry some of the load. I can picture it in my head, but cant describe it to ya. HAHA

MRSOUND
01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
I've had a nice Rockwood pop up with a 14' box that was pretty solid, but I don't think the roof would've withstand the weight of a 3 wheeler? Like Big Mike said you would want keep the trike off the roof. Mounted on the sides preferably where the bracing is for the arms when you open it up. Even so your adding alot of weight and risk twisting the frame work of the camper.

3Queen
01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
I thought the same but then I was told it can and has been done and safe. Was hoping someone had some pics. or info. on this. I know it was someone on the site that told me at one of the events I was at, just cant remember who..:(

3Queen
01-17-2013, 06:01 PM
But the mounting on the side sounds right!!! I do remember something about that.. But someone was making one for there pop-up and trikes to go to races with..

Howdy
01-17-2013, 06:04 PM
I made a 4'x4'x8' box and put it on top of my pop up camper for TF11. I hauled aprox 6-800 lbs in it to TF. I put 4-5 2x4's under the box ( on top of the camper ) to distribute the weight a little. Just traveling the 2 hrs to TF and back took a toll on the camper tires alone. I did have some Interior trim come loose as well.
My advice is this: If you must use the pop-up to haul machines then build some sort of brackets that come from the frame ( front, back and sides ) and can be easily removed to set up the pop-up. I would also invest in tires and keep at least 2 spare tires.
Howdy

Big Mike
01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
What you could do is start scouring clist for a set of the ladder bars for a van, get a set of 3 or 4, you will probably need to cut them and make then wider, and bolt them to the side of the top, and the use some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood across them to build a floor. Then off the side wall come out with a bracket under the top so they stick out say 1 1/2" and make a foot of the brackets you attached to the side of the roof that will sit on the bracket that comes off the wall to allow the roof and side wall to carry the weight of the deck and 3 wheelers, and once you get where you're going, pull the trikes and plywood off, and crank her on up.

3Queen
01-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys good info. for me to look into.. My pop-up is a bigger one 2. Set up it is 21 foot.. ( and is newer ) I was hoping to see if I can do it with TF 2013 coming up, it is the only way I can take both trikes & camper

Howdy
01-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Is it a single axle or a dual axle? I have seen a couple twin axle pop-ups over the years.

I'm sure If I was there I could show you a way to build a rack system to haul on top. But I'm many Hours away and mega short on time. First thing you need to check on is the trailer and tire capacity.
Another option: I don't know the laws there, but here in Ohio we can pull 2 trailers ( one behind the other ).
Howdy

3Queen
01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
It is a single axle, in Pa you can pull 2 trailers but I will be doing all the driving and cant pull 2 trailers I'm a girl driver.. :lol:

GO OVRIT
01-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Most only have 2000lb axles and tires with about the same weight rating. The camper, sturdy enough rack, and the 2 trikes will definitely be over loaded. If something were to go wrong and cause a wreck, it could turn in to an insurance nightmare. A buddy of mine built a really nice toy hauler with a popup. He built a frame out of 4" channel and a 5000lb axle. The pop-up was mounted on the back with a generator and propane tank mounted in front of that with rails around it. In front of that he could haul 2 4wd 4wheelers. The front section had rails that came off and doubled as ramps. I've got pictures somewhere. He had quite a few hours and dollars in it, but you could do the same thing on the cheap with a decent old boat trailer and some brainstorming. Just be sure the balance is good so that you have enough tongue weight with or without the trikes. You could probably sell the original axle, wheels, and tires to somebody building a pig cooker or something.

GO OVRIT
01-17-2013, 07:13 PM
This is the only picture I could find of it.

3Queen
01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks GO OVRIT, I like that...

stroberts22
01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
I know it's not a pop up but I pulled this across KY and IN and had no problems. I bet you would have no trouble getting use to it. You don't even know the 2nd trailer is behind there. It followed right in behind the camper. They make a hitch that bolts right onto the sewer pipe holder tube. Man, That was a good morning, couldn't wait to get to haspin.http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/stroberts22/IMG_1820.jpg

Bryan Raffa
01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
my roof on my pop up is 1" thick laminate you should look into your roof your pop up is beefyer than mine!

Bryan Raffa
01-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks GO OVRIT, I like that...

I like that also!!

3Queen
01-17-2013, 08:03 PM
I like that also!! After last year sleep in a tent.. Man that made me feel old I could not move the next day..:rolleyes: Ten years ago I did the tent thing but not no more,

Bryan Raffa
01-17-2013, 08:36 PM
here mine with the wood repair done ... I hear ya Regina!!! gettin old!!:lol: plan on a rack on the roof for racing!:naughty: replacing the partical board with one side sanded .. for the beds should make it last twice as long.. thanks for this post....you just put a bug in my ass to get new canvis!!!!

3Queen
01-17-2013, 08:52 PM
plan on a rack on the roof for racing!:naughty: LOL so it was you, when you get it done I would like to see pics. You can buy roof racks for a pop-up but I do not know if it would hold a trike.

Bryan Raffa
01-17-2013, 09:26 PM
yea it was me..LOL you got a link to that rack for your camper?

just ben
01-17-2013, 09:40 PM
It has been my plan since I seen one roll into TF. The plan I have will anchor the roof rack to the main frame but will also allow it to be set up withouth removing the rack. I'm just waiting to find a tandem axle camper,not because I am worried about the weight but because they usually have a bigger box which = more trikes on the top :D

3Queen
01-17-2013, 09:58 PM
yea it was me..LOL you got a link to that rack for your camper? I just search pop-up camper roof rack, but the one I was looking at was ors racks direct..

3Queen
01-17-2013, 10:01 PM
So you did see one Ben? With trikes on it.. Did you look at the racks were they home made?

kb0nly
01-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Man i wouldnt risk that... I have owned and worked on many PUP's over the years, i never had one that would support more than a roof mount AC unit on it, let alone a rack and a trike. The biggest issue is that most of them are on the hairy edge of the axle rating even without your stuff in it. If your going to haul anything on the roof the first thing you need to consider is the axle, tires, and weight. I would bet your going to need new tires at the minimum, most of them are rated for about the amount the axle is if that. Especially if you have the little 8" tires. If you have 8" tires expect an upgrade, axle, bigger wheels and tires, etc. Also make sure your camper is a full axle, some of them PUP's have what amounts to spindle style axle on either side, put any extra weight on the roof that changes the center of gravity and man do they roll on the curves and turns. If you have a solid axle you might even need to beef up the springs, even if the axle would happen to be rated for more i doubt the springs are.

I have been through this many times. I have rebuild the winch setup on a few PUP's because someone added a rack to the roof and stressed it. You have to consider the dead weight your adding even when you take the trike off. Are you going to also remove the rack before setting up? If not then you have to take that weight into account as well because the cables and winch to raise it now have that extra weight. I have installed a roof mount AC unit and had cables pop before, boy was that fun, another weekend and new cables fixed it, but sure was scary as hell!

Bryan Raffa
01-17-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm only lookin to carry 1 bike on top.... I was thinkin a alum rack or eyelets and wheel chock points.... mine has the same axle as my sled trailer so I'm not worried. no cables here manual lift so lighter the better!

just ben
01-17-2013, 11:33 PM
So you did see one Ben? With trikes on it.. Did you look at the racks were they home made?yes and yes I think 2 or3 trikes.I seen it come into haspin but didn't see it after that.

shovelryder
01-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Between those having crap frames, and junk axles.....I wouldnt try that.....

samuraiguys
02-21-2013, 06:22 PM
I got a 2006 Fleetwood Scorpion S3 that i modified the bed on, did a frame over and extended it 2 ft and 1ft wider. That way I can haul rzr or bunch of trikes. Was a nice factory toyhauler and even better now with the bigger deck..