PDA

View Full Version : ACT 125M brakes, ignition, manual

rusted
12-08-2003, 03:40 PM
I've inherited an 84 125m.

First off, which manual should I get? This one seems like a nice price:
http://www.motorcyclebooks.com/honatfour701.html
Any advice in the manual area would be helpful.

Second, look at these rear brakes. The brake line is siezed too. Would something like this negate even TRYING to rebuild this thing due to the cost?
http://home.comcast.net/~trailrig/brake.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~trailrig/brakedrum.jpg

Also, the what I take to be distributor and points cover is LOCKED on. My dad had it off, and his philosophy on torque is, keep tightening until the screwdriver bends or the bolt strips, whichever comes first. :rolleyes: How do I get these off? I figure I'll turn em with pliers, or grind them off so I can grip them with a socket or something. As you can see I've rounded them out already.

http://home.comcast.net/~trailrig/125CDIcover.jpg

Thank you!

rusted
12-08-2003, 03:51 PM
I'd also like to outline what is needed for this trike SO FAR.

Front brake shoes, perhaps spring kit.
Rear shoes, springs, perhaps entire rebuild including lever and bearing.
Points.
New float, some Orings in the carb.
Front tire (it's ripped apart, rears leak but are OK, can be sealed.)
Rear brake handlbar lever.
Rear brakeline form hand lever to foot lever assembly.
Battery.
Rings (??? Seems to have decent compression, but it's well-used.)
Rear taillight cover.

That's just what I found on teardown. My dad said he actually had it running once, so I ASSUMED it sparks ok. He said the points looked bad, but I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about.

I love this community, thanks for being here! I hope this project is feasible, so I can stick around. :-D

sleestack
12-08-2003, 05:25 PM
I did the same thing, built an old beat up 125m. Let me tell you, with the money spent on her I could bought a much nicer machine. From the looks of those brakes I would not go any further.

I got mine running (barely) for about $110 but have dropped more that $900 into it and it is still far from immaculate.

This is just my $.02. I love old trikes wouldn't do it again if I had to, a 350x, 250r and 200x maybe but not to a 125m.

rusted
12-08-2003, 09:55 PM
I ended up getting that manual as it's the only one I could find for the 125M!

I don't have a spark, even though when I pull it I get a green neutral light. Even when I hook up a battery she don't spark. I realize from reading this site it could be anything from the ignition part of the stator to the coil.

I'm going to use the stator test someone posted to see if that's ok. If it's not, I'll probalby just hang this project up and send it to the scrap heap.

Howdy
12-09-2003, 10:31 AM
I ended up getting that manual as it's the only one I could find for the 125M!

I don't have a spark, even though when I pull it I get a green neutral light. Even when I hook up a battery she don't spark. I realize from reading this site it could be anything from the ignition part of the stator to the coil.

I'm going to use the stator test someone posted to see if that's ok. If it's not, I'll probalby just hang this project up and send it to the scrap heap.

You probably could have got a better deal on the manual via Ebay.

If you find your stator is bad you can get it fixed for under $50.

btw, Where are you located?

Howdy

rusted
12-09-2003, 04:21 PM
You probably could have got a better deal on the manual via Ebay.

If you find your stator is bad you can get it fixed for under $50.

btw, Where are you located?

Howdy

This one was cheaper than the one on Ebay. Thanks for the stator info!

I updated my profile, I'm in East TN.

Dirtcrasher
12-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Your timing is off just a bit.

I sold a whole bunch of 125M on EBAY and lots of them only got 9.99$ - I had offered them here for about 2 weeks and had little response.

To me I found that the ATC125M is not very popular and there are alot of used parts on EBAY for really short money - so don't dump it just yet. Just because the brakes got water in them and no one drained it out is no reason to condemn the ATC.

I sold my entire electrical, coil, CDI, stator, harness, lt switch, solenoid etc for 30$ complete - so it is out there and cheap!

I do have a few good parts left and feel free to email me at ATCThomas@TMLP.com. It will all be very cheap - The trike had a great axle and carrier but I only have the carrier left. Plus a few odds and ends. Good luck nonetheless!!

rusted
12-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Your timing is off just a bit.

To me I found that the ATC125M is not very popular and there are alot of used parts on EBAY for really short money - so don't dump it just yet. !

Thanks for that info. I guess I will just keep an eye out for stuff. This trike would be a perfect utility ATV for me, so I want to keep it cheap on the build.

I've beens praying WD-40 on those brakes for 3 days, since I ran out of pen. oil. We'll see. :D