PDA

View Full Version : Attention Kawi Experts!

userj8670
01-02-2013, 12:01 PM
I was at my buddies house last nite for a huge bonfire and one of my buddies friends starts talking 3 wheelers. He told me that the best machine he ever rode was a Kawi 700A. I have never heard of this and google yielded nothing but apparently there was a 700A (3 wheeler) and a 700B (quad). There were not many made as I guess they were just prototypes. He went on to say that the three wheeler had independent rear suspension?? Normally I would call bluff but he seemed very confident in what he was saying and seemed to know his stuff regarding wheelers. Has anyone ever heard of this machine or have any info on it??

fabiodriven
01-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Your buddy was telling the truth. It was made to compete with Honda's 750cc Wankel Diesel 3 wheeler which had IRS as well, but only on one side. Also, Yamaha's turbine powered machine was a big contender. That one had a track setup in place of the front wheel and a regular solid axle/swing arm configuration on the rear. Also, somebody painted the word "gullible" on the ceiling directly above you.

roostin atc
01-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Anybody have any pics of these machines?

ezmoney1979
01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Anybody have any pics of these machines? I did but my dog ate them.

Scootertrash
01-02-2013, 02:11 PM
baaad baaadd dog!

El Camexican
01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Your buddy was telling the truth. It was made to compete with Honda's 750cc Wankel Diesel 3 wheeler which had IRS as well, but only on one side. Also, Yamaha's turbine powered machine was a big contender. That one had a track setup in place of the front wheel and a regular solid axle/swing arm configuration on the rear. Also, somebody painted the word "gullible" on the ceiling directly above you.

You forgot to say:

captainweezy
01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I just saw one on craigslist but cant seem to find it now.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Ya know, before I read Fab's reply I was going to ask how much alcohol was consumed at the aforementioned bonfire party!! LOL!

But wow! I have never seen or heard of any such thing from any of the 3 brands... Very interesting! Learn something new every day round here... :beer

fabiodriven
01-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Suzuki's offering was also quite unconventional. It too had a turbine similar to the Yamaha, but only in name. The Suzuki's turbine was actually powered by steam. It was huge flop though, in typical Suzuki fashion, as it required the rider to stoke the boiler 5-8 hours before he was planning on riding it. Not only that, but a mobile boiler operator's license was required in many states in order to operate it.

ezmoney1979
01-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Suzuki's offering was also quite unconventional. It too had a turbine similar to the Yamaha, but only in name. The Suzuki's turbine was actually powered by steam. It was huge flop though, in typical Suzuki fashion, as it required the rider to stoke the boiler 5-8 hours before he was planning on riding it. Not only that, but a mobile boiler operator's license was required in many states in order to operate it.
If I were to find one of these rare machines, what oil would you recommend using? And what are they worth?

the great gazoo
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Holy crap, Fabio, I'm pretty sure VealMonkey has his mobile boiler operator's license like me, That means we can get our turbines fired up for the big three wheeler/turbine/church tragedy karaoke race! I gotta call him........

the great gazoo
01-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Anybody have any pics of these machines?
There was a member here, Team Red Rider, he's got pics of them. I'm sure of it

fabiodriven
01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Another one commonly overlooked was Polaris's big-bore behemoth. It actually was powered by a radial engine. For those of you who aren't familiar with what a radial engine is, the crankshaft actually stays stationary while the engine rotates around it. Not only that, but it had forks on the two wheels in the rear and also incorporated a fully independent left and right front suspensions, even though it only had one front wheel.

Holy crap, Fabio, I'm pretty sure VealMonkey has his mobile boiler operator's license like me, That means we can get our turbines fired up for the big three wheeler/turbine/church tragedy karaoke race! I gotta call him........

Not to "derail";) this thread too much, but are you and Pat steamtards like me?

RIDE-RED 250r
01-02-2013, 06:48 PM
OMG this went right over my head!!! LOLOL!!!!

I will love him and pet him and squeeze him and cal him George....duuuhhhhh.. LOL!

RubberSalt
01-02-2013, 08:35 PM
I want to suzuki also had a utlity version with a High effeciency fuel injected stern engine. Had shaft drive to each wheel. A shaft went to the neck and a chain went down to the front wheel. Similar to today Rokon 2 wheel drive bikes.

God i wish i could remember the name, but i do remember it had leaf springs on the back and the conventional fork in the front. Said to have a 400lb towing capacity on the tongue.

TecateDan
01-02-2013, 11:03 PM
I bought one of those from you a while back . here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gxO2AoA-Jc

3 Wheel Drive
01-03-2013, 01:26 AM
I was in chat the other day and someone's brother knows a guy's nephew who's bringing one to trikefest! You will all feel bad for making fun...

MIK6
01-03-2013, 01:59 AM
I hate to go here..
but the torus briggs Vtwin is a 650cc motor, so 700cc isnt that far.. there is the sasquach 340 that used a Kawi motor, the comuter 380 was the same basic trike, they both had a weird dual shock rear suspension.. i know it was prob just bonefire talk, but maybe he had something in his head.. who knows.. lol
MIK6/ Mike

gus
01-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I was in chat the other day and someone's brother knows a guy's nephew who's bringing one to trikefest! You will all feel bad for making fun...

Everybody on the forum likes to have shits and giggles once in a while lol

3 Wheel Drive
01-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I was being facetious. ;)

the great gazoo
01-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Well you're the only one, then LOL.