PDA

View Full Version : 250sx/es Rear diff tool.

250Eddie
12-31-2012, 10:35 PM
I no they have to be out there, I just dont know what its called, Im looking for the tool you use to remove the bolt on the shaft that goes from the engine drive shaft to the diff, Ive seen it around i just dont remember where, Also if u know a way to remove it w/o messing anything up PLEASE let me know.

Flyingw
12-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Are you talking about the part of the diff where the drive shaft slips in to? The drive shaft is called a propeller shaft. The mating shaft in the diff is called the pinion shaft (gear). It mates with the ring gear. The axle slips through the ring gear and is retained to the ring gear with splines.

To answer your question, there are 3 tools to take the pinion apart. There is a 60mm star tool to remove the bearing retaining nut. There is also a holding fixture the diff bolts to at the pinion that not only hold the diff in a vice but it also locks the pinion shaft so the retaining nut on the end of the pinion shaft can be removed.

The 60mm star tool is available on Ebay (aftermarket) but the holding fixture is not available. There is a 3rd tool used to pull the pinion shaft out of the case but its unavailable as well.

I have the 60mm star tool and the holding fixture. The pinion shaft puller I havent found yet but I have a work around for that.

Whats the problem?

250Eddie
12-31-2012, 11:16 PM
its the one that the drive shaft slips into, Nothin is wrong with it i wanna do the full seals and bearing on the diff to my big red, so once i start riding again i dont have to worry about changing them for a few years

Flyingw
12-31-2012, 11:24 PM
I dont loan out special tools like those but I am more than happy to rebuild it for you. 100 bucks plus parts plus shipping (100 + 60 + 15 = 175.00). There is a bit more to it than you are aware. If I do it, it will be returned rebuilt and ready to bolt on.

250Eddie
01-01-2013, 12:11 AM
no no ill rebuild it myself, I was just looking to buy one of them i saw one on ebay a while ago but cant find it.

Flyingw
01-01-2013, 12:31 AM
I understand that. In addition to the two tools for the pinion, you will also need a blind hole bearing puller to get the needle bearing out. In lieu of the pinion shaft puller, I use a brass drift on the back of the pinion gear to drive the pinion shaft out of the case. You will need to heat the case and freeze the new needle bearing to get it in to the case. This method works very well. Heat the case to about 250 and freeze the bearing overnight. The needle bearing wil almost drop right in. You will also need to freeze the pinion shaft and heat the new large bearing. That should drop right on to the pinion shaft.

Here's the bearing nut tool
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATV-Pinion-Bearing-Nut-Tool-60MM-ATC-250ES-/170896485523?hash=item27ca396c93&item=170896485523&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

You'll have to get creative to get the nut off of the end of the pinion shaft.

Oh, you will also need a split bearing tool to grab ahold of the big bearing inner race thats pressed on to the pinion shaft to get it off. The OEM bearing is a 3 part bearing whereas the replacement bearing is a sealed bearing.

big specht
01-01-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm reading this thread and looking at the tool and was woundering why you couldn't get a 12 nut from nut and bolt place and weld it to socket and make you own socket

kebby28
07-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Thats an exspensive tool!! I might have to fabricate something... And that needle bearing wont just slide out? I have an idea for getting the nut off, I'll try that out tomorrow...

Flyingw
07-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Kebby, before I found the diff tools for disassembling the diffs, I tried many different things and what I learned is the gear teeth are easly damaged. The two tools you need are the holding fixture that locks the pinion and the 60mm torks socket. Without those tools, you run a huge risk of damaging your rear end. The needle bearing is removed with a blind hole bearing puller and the large bearing on the shaft side of the pinion is pulled off with a split bearing tool. I made a tool that screws on the end of the pinion shaft after the nut and gear are removed to pull the pinion shaft out of the case. I still need to make a seal insertion tool to install the propeller shaft seal. Right now I carefully drive it in with a punch around the edge. Also, installing the bearings is sooooooooo much easier with an over set at 200 deg. Heat one, cool the other. The needle bearing usually drops right in the hole when the case is heated and the bearing is frozen. This technique works for all the bearings in the diff. These are the tools I use to disassemble and reassemble the diffs. Add to this, 1/2 chisel, 5/16 punch, 12mm socket, 14mm socket, 22mm socket, 1/2 dr ratchet,, ball peen hammer, oven, freezer, and a 0-100ft lb torque wrench.

kebby28
07-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Can I replace the pinion seal without even taking the nut off? There is hardly any play in the bearing I just figured since I had it appart and all the bearings and seals I may as well do it, but maybe I should just do the seal. The seal was damaged when someone installed the shaft. You can see where they just pounded the shaft while it was offset on the seal.

Flyingw
07-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Yes, take a small chisel right along the edge and cut it carefully. Once you cut through it, pry it out with a screwdriver or something like that. That's the first part I remove.

Flyingw
07-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Lube it up with some Vaseline or light grease when you install it.

Flyingw
07-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Fat, skinny, thick, or thin. Vaseline will get it in!!!!!!!!!!!

elevatorman
07-08-2013, 06:15 AM
I am sure flyinw is gonna raise his price after you mess up some of the parts and piecies. He does great work.just saying......

atc007
07-08-2013, 07:47 AM
I don't know Jim,,FlyingW . But I will say this as someone who has rebuilt these for WAY more years than I care to remember now. WIthout the special tools.. You have NO IDEA how classy he is being here. No idea. His price is so far beyond fair he should raise his price! ALL his tricks are spot on. You WILL break the case where the pilot bearing lives. I have seen this 20? times over the years. Heat and freeze are your best friends here! Eddie,you will just have to go very slow and careful and let us know how it turns out ! Good luck.

dougspcs
07-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I own this special tool, bought it on eBay a few years ago and rebuilt my own diff..minus the pinion needle bearing which was still good..

That being said, the next time I have one that needs rebuild it going to Jim!!

There are certain things I enjoy doing and some I'm not crazy about ..if for $175 I could have the thing looking and operating like new. It's well worth it..I now own one of his carbs and will tell you I won't be doing those myself anymore either!!

FlyingW is the go to guy for carbs and differentials..I'd love one of his engine rebuilds one day!!