PDA

View Full Version : Diesel power?

Hair Bear Bunch
12-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Just think if we could get these guys to think abaout a BigRed???
http://thekneeslider.com/hydrostatic-drive-diesel-motorcycle/

tri again
01-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Since age 10 or so, I've been thinking about a front wheel drive m cycle.
Ever since I saw my first hydraulic motor.

Now I'll be thinking about an all wheel drive 3 wheeler with a small
engine.
Maybe a 90 engine in an sx or es to power the hydraulics.?
Why is another question.

Very impressed with the new small diesels.

dougspcs
01-01-2013, 09:38 AM
That project would be really impractical..

Even if you left all the hydro-drive on the bench and went strictly for the diesel engine convert..the machine would have a power to weight ratio far below the gas engine.

Cruising on the road maybe, as long as you didn't care about the time it took to get to cruising speed..but hill climbing or any other form of normal off-road use. A diesel engine in an ATC would be a huge disappointment.

What good is super fuel economy on the trails if your buddies are all 15 miles ahead of you?

Give me the torque of the gas engine any day!

Dave Little
01-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Give me the torque of the gas engine any day!

Haha...that was a good one!

atc007
01-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Since age 10 or so, I've been thinking about a front wheel drive m cycle.
Ever since I saw my first hydraulic motor.

Now I'll be thinking about an all wheel drive 3 wheeler with a small
engine.
Maybe a 90 engine in an sx or es to power the hydraulics.?
Why is another question.

Very impressed with the new small diesels.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/148440-Christini-AWD-s-anyone-seen-these!!

lotust
01-01-2013, 01:26 PM
impractical yes. cool as hell yes

bkm
01-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Polaris put a diesel in a quad years ago.

briano
01-01-2013, 07:19 PM
There is a video on YouTube with a diesel in a three wheeler frame, it's an atc 110 I believe. I looked quick and didn't find it right away.

kb0nly
01-01-2013, 08:53 PM
The diesel engine and shaft drive three wheeler would be awesome, the torque you would have it could probably walk up walls.

01-01-2013, 10:10 PM
dougspcs your statement is wrong in fact diesel engines alot more torque than a gas engine. As far as i know there isnt a gas engine that has more torque than a diesel. This is because a normal diesel has a way higher compression ratio than gas and diesels create their own combustion without the use of spark plugs which is why they are fuel efficent. So with that being said if some built a big red with diesel the big red would probably beat alot of the bigger bikes on the trails and would last longer without and would have insane amounts of torque for pulling what ever you want.

lotust
01-01-2013, 10:38 PM
dougspcs your statement is wrong in fact diesel engines alot more torque than a gas engine. As far as i know there isnt a gas engine that has more torque than a diesel. This is because a normal diesel has a way higher compression ratio than gas and diesels create their own combustion without the use of spark plugs which is why they are fuel efficent. So with that being said if some built a big red with diesel the big red would probably beat alot of the bigger bikes on the trails and would last longer without and would have insane amounts of torque for pulling what ever you want.

I agree with that statement. But dont the blocks weigh a ton?

lotust
01-01-2013, 10:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XejaJL3XrSc

swampthang
01-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Arctic Cat has been making Diesel atvs for some time now. A non turbo Diesel engine isn't very impressive. They sell cheap horizontal shaft chinese Diesel engines on ebay that could be put into the 3wheelers that used the Briggs&Stratton style engine. Thats the easiest and prolly only way to get a Diesel into a 3wheeler. Only advantage I see would be you could use farm Diesel to save some money.

dougspcs
01-01-2013, 11:29 PM

A diesel engine has a more efficient fuel energy conversion rate..meaning it can draw more power from the fuel than a gas engine.

What it cannot do is create the high amount of torque throughout the entire RPM range that a gas engine can..therefore in a small engine application, diesel has never been a good candidate.

It's power band is just too small, usually from 2000-5000 rpm due to the high compression.

CC for CC and pound for pound a gas engine produces more torque and has a much broader power band..this is why yours and almost every small engine vehicle has been equipped with a gas engine for the last 100 or so years.

Gas and diesel fundamentals are clear fact '200'..might want to read up.

The theory of a diesel trike is a fun idea, but it will never beat it's gas engine equipped equivalent.

El Camexican
01-02-2013, 12:05 AM
http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/05272004112942MWED66.htm

I'll bet one of these in a trike frame would rip up a hill.

Ever hear of a PASQUALI4X4? http://www.farmphoto.com/thread.aspx?mid=526484 Powered buy a single banger Diesel that could pull a truck out of the mud. I used one for a few days way back when. It left me in awe of Diesel power.

riverrat
01-02-2013, 12:17 AM
What it cannot do is create the high amount of torque throughout the entire RPM range that a gas engine can..therefore in a small engine application, diesel has never been a good candidate.

It's been done for years and years with great success.
http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/home.php

I've always wanted to convert a 250R to diesel.

01-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Dougspcs small engine diesels have been used alot with great results the reason why honda and all the other makers used a gas instead of diesel is because it is way cheaper to produce and alot easier to sell a gas bike. The small engine diesels have been used in alot of tractors and the atvs had them the reason they didnt last was because they werent cost effective to produce but the people who bought them love them. Like my buddy for example has the diesel arctic cat and loves it. Hands down if you compare a gas motor to a diesel big or small a diesel will kick a diesels but in the trail and in pulling because a gas could never produce the amount of compression a diesel has. The more compression a motor has the more torque it has that also goes the same for the small engines. I think you need to read up dougspcs

shovelryder
01-02-2013, 08:41 AM
A diesel engine has a more efficient fuel energy conversion rate..meaning it can draw more power from the fuel than a gas engine.

It's power band is just too small, usually from 2000-5000 rpm due to the high compression.

CC for CC and pound for pound a gas engine produces more torque and has a much broader power band..this is why yours and almost every small engine vehicle has been equipped with a gas engine for the last 100 or so years.

Gas and diesel fundamentals are clear fact '200'..might want to read up.

The theory of a diesel trike is a fun idea, but it will never beat it's gas engine equipped equivalent.um...... A diesel has more torque.......the reason power sport toys don't have them is the fun range on the tach is just not there....I love hearing them idle though!!!!

midsouthtrikes
01-02-2013, 12:29 PM
The powerband of a diesel is dependent on fuel metering not compression ratio. Gas engines are about 25% efficient compared to diesel engines that are about 40% efficient. This means that the diesel will get more work done than gas no matter what size the engines are.

Gearheadtom
01-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Someone send me a detroit 2 stroke diesel, and a big red frame... I'll hillbilly something up hahaha

bkm
01-02-2013, 07:00 PM
I love winter time.

userj8670
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Someone send me a detroit 2 stroke diesel, and a big red frame... I'll hillbilly something up hahaha

Sure we could rig up a ol' 6-71 lol!

Dave Little
01-04-2013, 10:23 PM
For your enjoyment:

KLT 110 fitted with a Yanmar diesel then turbo'd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvxiP7-ACh8

tx200m
01-05-2013, 01:26 AM
Bahaha...that's bitchin.

philgipson
01-05-2013, 01:03 PM
i worked on boats all my life and cannot stand the smell of diesel,and they all smell.

onestop2050
01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
160582 just put one of these in it