PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda 350X Questions

sweetip2000
12-30-2012, 01:39 AM
I recently got a 1985 Honda 350X. The motor has never been open.
Mostly just sat in a garage so now I am going through the bike.
It has been kept in the family of the original owner and has gone through 3 family members all adult owned so I guess that makes me the 4th owner.

I hear a slight tapping when I accelerate or rev the rpms up.
The tapping is coming from the top right where the decomp cable is.
The decompression cable spring and adjusting nuts are rusted together. The mounting bolt that holds it to the motor is rusted too. I noticed it is very easy to kick over. Almost too easy.
I can almost start it sitting down with a good kick.

I was thinking possibly a valve adjustment ? New Decomp cable and decomp arm ? Just changed the oil and it was pretty nasty. Has a really bad burnt stink smell to it.

Any advice will be appreciated. Otherwise the ATC runs great and does not smoke.

Have a happy and safe new year. I hope it gets better for all of us.

Thanks

dougspcs
12-30-2012, 10:08 AM
I think you have a good grasp on where to start..

Adjust valves and get your hands on a compression tester and check it.

I assume you changed the filter also..I'd run it a while and change it again!

You'll get more information on how to proceed this way than from us!

sweetip2000
12-30-2012, 10:56 PM
New oil filters are on the way. I rinsed out the filter that was in there in gasoline . Emgo.
Will change oil filter as soon as I get them, should be this week and change the oil again.
I hope its just a valve adjustment and will check compression too.

Dirtcrasher
12-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Your better off with no cable than a hung up rusted cable.

sweetip2000
12-31-2012, 01:24 AM
I thought it would be really difficult to kick over without the decomp cable ? I guess just find TDC and kick over like the old thumpers ?

Look the guy I bought it from still has the ad running.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3492225080.html

rttuck21
12-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Thats a very nice 350x, good job on that buy, if the cable is just a fuzz to tight they will make racket and cause a lil loss of compression, Ive been looking down here for one but not much luck. With no decompression cable if you ease it to compression then just nose it over tdc, youll notice the sweet spot, after a few times you could start it bare footed, I have a 82 xr500r without the auto cable, only the one one the handlebar (the only year that style engine had both), took a few kicks to find that sweet spot, but less parts on it are less to give you trouble

dougspcs
12-31-2012, 09:15 AM
I agree with DC about disconnecting the decompression cable to check if it's causing some of your concern..but to leave it that way may cause you problems.

My cable is broken from PO mishandling and I find it quite heavy to start, even moreso after the engine is warm..

I don't think you'll want to leave it that way!!

GO OVRIT
12-31-2012, 10:51 AM
I saw that one on craigslist. Looks like you got a good deal.

sweetip2000
12-31-2012, 04:13 PM
That's the first thing I will do is remove that rusted cable.
I can feel the tapping in my fingers when I hold the decomp arm.
I paid 1200 for this 350X. Plus he gave me 8 lbs of fresh kill deer meat.
First time I ever ate deer meat and it is delicious.

sweetip2000
12-31-2012, 04:21 PM
I looked all over ebay and cant find that cable.
Some of these parts are getting hard to find in good condition.

sweetip2000
01-03-2013, 03:33 AM
I was able to loosen up the lock nut adjusting nut and get some play on that decomp cable. It is a bit stiffer on the kick now. I lubed up the cable and cleaned up lots of caked up grease and sand off the head. This bike def was on the sand for sure. I noticed that there is a silicone seal around the base of the top of the motor. I don't know if Honda used silicone sealer when they came off the line in 85 ? Anyway I have never seen so much grease built up on the top of the head. After I cleaned it up and adjusted the cable I fired it up. Motor still chatters only when its cold and only when I accelerate. I let it run for about 15 minutes. It idles without stalling now. Cleaned out carb and removed stock strainer in gas tank. Put inline filter in fuel line. New oil filter today installed and running marvel mystery oil in fresh oil. I am hoping its just a sticky valve. I am gonna have to ask someone to do a compression test and gap valves for me. I don't have the tools to this. Otherwise when the motor is warmed up it runs and sounds great and does not smoke cold or hot. Obviously I always thinks its the worst case scenario especially since I am not the most proficient at wrenching. I rode the bike around the yard and stabbed the throttle a few times and the ATC threw me like a rag doll. I almost lost total control twice from the power surge. What a sick bike.

bmanley
01-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I looked all over ebay and cant find that cable.
Some of these parts are getting hard to find in good condition.

Here is where I got my new decompression cable for my 350X for $16.60:

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1985/ATC350X+A/CYLINDER+HEAD/parts.html

Dirtcrasher
01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm fairly certain they still have them and run about 15$

I can't recall how to install it. They may want your piston on the compression stroke.

So Andy says ( how do I find that?) Well, the flywheel has marks but they are hard to find; I dremel a slot in them if I open up the left case. Anyhoot, Get the tank off, clean the valve cover (no crud to fall in the motor) remove both small valve covers. Get it to top dead center with a straw in the plug hole. Now, are your valves with or without pressure. If you are at TDC and the valves are not open and there is a tiny amount of play from the rocker arm, your good.

Leave the cable off and adjust all 4 valves to the spec on a cold motor (maybe .003).

Realize that the locking nut when tightened may change the adjustment; So check them out and get a feel for how to keep within spec.

Since your at TDC, put the cable on and adjust per manual spec.

gus
01-03-2013, 05:41 PM
I recently got a 1985 Honda 350X. The motor has never been open.
Mostly just sat in a garage so now I am going through the bike.
It has been kept in the family of the original owner and has gone through 3 family members all adult owned so I guess that makes me the 4th owner.

I hear a slight tapping when I accelerate or rev the rpms up.
The tapping is coming from the top right where the decomp cable is.
The decompression cable spring and adjusting nuts are rusted together. The mounting bolt that holds it to the motor is rusted too. I noticed it is very easy to kick over. Almost too easy.
I can almost start it sitting down with a good kick.

I was thinking possibly a valve adjustment ? New Decomp cable and decomp arm ? Just changed the oil and it was pretty nasty. Has a really bad burnt stink smell to it.

Any advice will be appreciated. Otherwise the ATC runs great and does not smoke.

Have a happy and safe new year. I hope it gets better for all of us.

Thanks

I can kick start my R while I'm sitting down and I just did a rebuild about a month ago.... then again I'm quite young lol

dougspcs
01-03-2013, 06:04 PM
I can kick start my R while I'm sitting down and I just did a rebuild about a month ago.... then again I'm quite young lol

Try kicking a hot 350x without a decompression system while sitting on the seat..that ain't happening I'll tell you!!

I'm 230lbs and had the machine lift me back up a couple times when it kicked back from pre-ignition...

Dirtcrasher
01-03-2013, 07:40 PM
^ exactly, the 350X can be a problem without that cable. Like, hurt yourself type of a problem.

A 250R has half the cycles and does start sitting down.

gus
01-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Try kicking a hot 350x without a decompression system while sitting on the seat..that ain't happening I'll tell you!!

I'm 230lbs and had the machine lift me back up a couple times when it kicked back from pre-ignition...

Hhm I'm tempted Just do do that as soon as I get my 350x project done lol if you don't see me on here for a while its due to my high medical bill for breaking my ankle lol.

kiser
01-03-2013, 10:06 PM
My foot slipped off my 350x kicker the first time starting it after building the motor and it somehow hit me in the calf muscle! Im pretty sure one of the budwieser clydes dales could have kicked me and it would have hurt less!!

Audio_Phill
01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Heres a good idea of what no decompression is capable of...

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo310/AudioPhill/trike%20pics/2013-01-11_18-49-33_236.jpg
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo310/AudioPhill/trike%20pics/2013-01-11_17-00-23_711.jpg

sweetip2000
01-21-2013, 09:26 PM
ouch ..... biker rash