PDA

View Full Version : Couple of 85 200X pre build questions

Hippie459MN
12-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Well, My trike is inside for the winter and have decided that this will be the winter I actually start the rebuild process but before I start I would like to try and get as much info on a few things so I can decide what direction to I want to go with this.

1. I am looking at all new plastics and thinking of going with black and I can get the rear fender in black and the 250R front fender in black (If I remember right that is a direct bolt on to the 1985 200x lower triple clamp) but maier only seems to carry the tank scoops in red and white and I dont know where I can find the headlight plastic at all. For the tank scoops white would work but would like black preferably. Is there any good way to maybe paint these pieces and have it last at all if I have to go that route? Is there any other companies other then Maier out there that could do plastics in custom colors or offer more colors for these pieces? I just thought of something also. Being in the vinyl decal business part time, I bet I could just do a black vinyl wrap on the tank scoops and the plastic housing for the headlight. I have never done a wrap but never to late to learn. It least they are small pieces so if I mess up I can easily start over. lol I would like to avoid wrapping the pieces if I can though. Also looking at a 350x headlight set up but that is a tough one to find also.

2. I am thinking of powder the exhaust and was wondering how that would hold up. Reason is for color choices. I was thinking ceramic coating also but dont know if you can do that in different colors. I have only seen them in chrome/polished look. I know powder coating does retain heat and I have used it on motor parts on cars before but never on anything like exhaust so not sure how that would work or hold up. Otherwise is there any type of high temp paints/coatings that could be done otherwise? I dont want to go with the typical black but if that is the only option then so be it.

Just trying to plan my build out before I get started so I have a good direction. Really looking forward to getting going on this.

oldskool83
12-28-2012, 11:27 PM
no one makes new 200x head light plastic. your F*cked here my friend. yes all honda fenders 83-84-85-86 250r and 83-84-85-86-87 200x and 86-87 350x have same mouting pattern. the 200x front fender is ugly as sin.

yaegerb
12-28-2012, 11:56 PM
I will second old school unless you want to go with a period correct build. I would get a 250R front fender. It will look a lot better on the X. Also, I have been working vinyl in my garage and its harder than it looks in the videos. I am very anal and will probably just have a shop cover my rear fenders in vinyl if I decide to go that route. I don't recommend paint either, but have used the krylon plastic paint and it seems to hold up fairly well. If you can't find the correct plastic colors I say either get it professionally vinyl coated or go with a different color scheme for your plastic. Lastly, I would get your pipe ceramic coated. I use a guy here in St. Louis and he does various colors. Ceramic coating will last forever and it only cost me around 90.00 for my entire pipe.

Good Luck!

jsmay
12-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Not to cross breed but has a yamaha tri-z headlight ever been used on an x? They come black and dual lamp like the 350x..

Hippie459MN
12-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah, Not going with a period correct build at all and plan to use a 250R front fender as the 200x fender is ok, its not great looking if you ask me.

I will look into the Tri-z headlight.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am going to check into the ceramic coating more. I just found a somewhat local place that offers it.