PDA

View Full Version : triple tree threads stripped..

drkilldrmz
12-28-2012, 06:05 PM
So.. here i am putting the front end on my 250sx all new bearings. Everything looks good, but the threads on the top of the tree are stripped. ( not by me) Cannot get a nut on it. Went to 3 hardware stores looking for a tap to re-thread, and i have struck out. Anyone know of someone who makes a tap that i can re-thread the top of a metric tree, or a standard nut size i can force on to make thread?? I may need to buy ( if i can find it) a new triple for this thing and im absolutely pissed. It's the last part needed to be driving. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,

Red Rider
12-28-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm not familiar with 250SX triple clamps, but with most triple clamps, the only place for a nut is on the steering stem. Is it the steering stem that needs to be rethreaded? I'm a bit confused because you say you're looking for a tap to rethread with. Well, a tap rethreads internal threads that a bolt would go into, while a die rethreads external threads that a nut would go onto. Are you confusing taps & dies, or nuts & bolts?

Howdy
12-28-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure where to find a thread Die for those threads. I do have a triple tree if you want to go that route.
Howdy

TecateDan
12-28-2012, 07:22 PM
I know this is hack but you could just weld it together. We call it the pa-derski out here.

remsandpets
12-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Oh please don't weld it! Trust Howdy, get one from him and save the welding for trailers and such. No offence TecateDan. Just my opinion!

kb0nly
12-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Find a local machine shop and see if they have a die that big. I had to clean up the threads on one once and i took it to a local metal fab shop, he grabbed a die out of a drawer and run it over it and it was as good as new.

Howdy
12-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Oh please don't weld it! Trust Howdy, get one from him and save the welding for trailers and such. No offence TecateDan. Just my opinion!
Once you weld it your Facked if you ever need to take it apart. There is some good advice in the last 2 replies. kbOnly's advice is Something I didn't think of and it's darn good advice at that!!

Flyingw
12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Is he talking about the threads on the steering stem?

kb0nly
12-28-2012, 10:13 PM
It was a heck of a lot cheaper to give the dude five bucks to run a die over it and back off then go buy a die that i might use once or twice in the next ten years... LOL

After he did that i got it home and used the wire wheel on my bench grinder to buff down the threads a bit, just to clean up further, then it went together like butter...

wisconsinite
12-28-2012, 11:19 PM
A thread file will cost you about $15-20, and can be a lifesaver for mushed threads, usually 8 thread pitches per file.

El Camexican
12-29-2012, 12:01 AM
If the threads look like I think they do it may be hard to find someone with a die. Fine threads like that are usualy cut on a lathe. Can you post a photo?

Dirtcrasher
12-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Dude, that is a massive metric die. I'd like to meet the man that has one.

Did you use the stupid ass washer under your lower race and dust seal/If so, that's the issue.

Lovely instructions the bearing kits come with huh??. SX triples are very easy to find.

kb0nly
12-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Come down here to MN and i will introduce you to that dude! LOL

I am lucky to have such a well equipped fab shop about seven miles away, and out here in the boonies. This guy custom fabricates just about anything you could possibly imagine. He said the reason why he had these larger dies, i forget why. I swear he said something about hydraulics or some fittings or some such, i don't know for sure, all i know is the dude took like one look at that stem and said "i can fix that" and be gosh he did!

I found a few sources online for the die as well as a set on ebay for about $700 that included that size, they do exist but they aint cheap!

shortline10
12-29-2012, 08:30 AM
If its just the first couple threads that are giving you the problem take a file and taper them down , install a new top nut and your good . I see this allot and taking the top couple threads off will hurt nothing .

TecateDan
12-29-2012, 12:08 PM
None taken.. I Would never do it myself was just saying in a pinch it would work.