PDA

View Full Version : question What brand of bearing carrier to stay away from

sandrooster
12-07-2003, 03:05 AM
I'm thinking of buying a new carrier for an 86R.

Which brands should I stay away from and which brands do you recommened?

I remember reading a few months ago that LSR is crap but I'm not sure of brands now.

jeswinehart
12-07-2003, 06:33 AM
i haven't heard about bearing carriers being so much of a problem but rather cheap bearings that they hold being a real troublesom thing.
it's when a bearing gives up is when it affects the carrier ain't it ?

john

350XXX
12-07-2003, 12:25 PM
RAD makes some nice bearing carriers. they offer them in taper bearings also(so you can adjust the play out). they have grease fittings so you can grease your bearings, but they are kind of hard to get to, you have to move your sprocket and rotor to get to them. good luck and hope you didn't hurt your axle.

sandrooster
12-08-2003, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

ATC crazy
12-08-2003, 09:20 AM
I've heard that RAD and LSR are at the top of the list. My brother has a LSR for close to 4 years now and nothing has gone wrong with it.

TimSr
12-08-2003, 02:12 PM
A lot of machinists are making them and selling them on Ebay. When mine blew out, I got one, and Im really happy with it. Much stronger than the original. As long as they fit right, any of them are beefier than stock. They do use different bearing styles, stock, double row, and tapered.

A guy on ebay, goes by 549964146 , has perfect feedback, and is somewhat local to me. I went to his place to pickup some double row bearings I needed in a hurry. I checked out the ones he makes, and they are excellent.

Mike Fort Laud
12-09-2003, 10:40 AM
I have a Billet LSR in my '85 with the Double Row bearings. They make a cheaper one also that is cast aluminum. For the '86 I would buy a LSR with the Tapered bearings. Anything is better than the stock one>>>>>>>>>