PDA

View Full Version : 250sx steering stem bearings

drkilldrmz
12-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Ok. I seem to have all the parts i need to reassemble my front end/ I think. Had a dirt bike front end on it. I removed it, and want to replace it with the original. I have a box that came with the bike containing what i think are all the correct bearings. I have,t done this before, so excuse my numbness. Here are pictures of what came with it. Do these look like all the steering stem parts i need for re-assembly?
More specifically, i just need to know if all the bearings are here. I know the rest is complete. Thanks!

drkilldrmz
12-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Realized theres a bottom race still in the wheeler. Think that makes it easier.. so the question is, do i put the bearings on the stem with the tapered end facing up, and if so, how do you tap them on over the threads without buggering them up? Thanks again.

dustrunner
12-23-2012, 10:07 AM
i believe the bearing that originally came in your 250sx were ball bearings ... not the bearings shown in pics.... if you went to remove them they would fall all over the floor ... just like large bb's... well thats what happened on my 350x anyway's....

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Those look like 250R bearings, the new kits are cheap.

No, you still have a lower race to deal with in the frame. Note it is recessed a bit and measure that, then a long punch tapped all the way around gets it out.

THE BEST WAY TO INSTALL THESE! IS - The manufacturers tell you crap. Whatever machine I work on, I take all the old races (both inner and outer). Then I stack it all up with just a few balls (both upper and lower) and measure it and set the stem kit stacked next to it.

Once you use that washer, then press on the lower race over the dust seal. They never tell you what model gets that washer, with or without it you can run out of threads on your stem. Just be aware of that......

The race installer for me is one I made on the lathe. I also have 2 1/2" thick plates and use a long piece of threaded rod to pull in the upper. You can do this to the lower also but you can't seat it FULLY until you put a spacer on it (I use the old outer race which I grind down a few thousandths) or you may have something else kicken around.

You can use a dremel and slice the inner race off the lower stem carefully.

I know, seems like WTF?? This should be easy but many people have trouble getting them fit and with or without the washer or you have to grind it off and buy another set.