PDA

View Full Version : cool pivot bolt trick

stroberts22
12-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Have you ever had to beat or cut a pivot bolt out of your swingarm? I was changing out the bearings in my 86 R and I went ahead and was going to break down the whole suspension to make sure there were no binds. A previos owner must have been pretty sharp because there is alemites all over the swingarm. I went and pulled the pivot bolt and it came out by hand! I was inspecting what he done to it and heres what I found. The bolts on a 86 r are gun drilled and he plugged the right hand side of the bolt with a allen plug and on the other side he installed a alemite. He also drilled holes to line up with the needle bearings. I will do this trick to every pivot bolt I got that is gun drilled. You all may already know this trick but I have heard alot of stories of people having problems getting there bolt out and they could benifit from this post. http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/stroberts22/IMG_1926_zpseafc4030.jpghttp://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/stroberts22/IMG_1925_zps376c935a.jpghttp://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/stroberts22/IMG_1924_zpsda01c7ed.jpg

jdowd123
12-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Honda should have built there's that way had to cut
So many out

oldskool83
12-19-2012, 09:15 PM
the new delrin swingarm bushings will stop this also. ive been lucky to get evert bolt out by hand on my 200xs but one. i sold that frame lol.

M.Pargiello
12-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Neat trick! I'm going to use this on both of my Hondas!

250rAL
12-21-2012, 11:28 PM
That's the exact same thing I did to mine.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Back when I was growing up, (early 90's) my Dad who was a very accomplished machinist did that on our '86 200x. Worked awesome!

He also made an axle carrier from scratch for me without having an old one to take measurements from.. It's funny, when he made that carrier for me he said that somebody should come up with a carrier that doubles up the stock bearings or uses tapered bearings. At that time I don't think anyone was making twin/row and tapered bearing carriers... Wish he had run with the idea!! The Ol' Man is pretty smart....

Scootertrash
12-22-2012, 12:37 PM
For those who don't know an alemite is a grease zerk. Alemite is the company that invented them. There, now some people have learned something new today. You day is now complete!

captainweezy
12-22-2012, 01:47 PM
For those who don't know an alemite is a grease zerk. Alemite is the company that invented them. There, now some people have learned something new today. You day is now complete!
You just saved me from using google, thanks trash!

Rigaman
12-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Thats funny. I just searched Alemite the other day before I even saw this thread. I had no clue what it was.

OK. so I dont have a 250r. And both my 200x swing arm bolts come out easily. (I think)

What is Gun drilled? And what makes these swing arm bolts so hard to get off? Is it becuse there is no way to hold the other side from spinning?

4cylinders
12-22-2012, 03:28 PM
hey, early 70's honda cb750 came that way.
first gen 200x has a flat under the bolt head for the chain adjustment.
put zerks in the swing arm and pump full of ATF for those.

Dirtcrasher
12-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Honda should have built there's that way had to cut
So many out

Yep, the probably should have. BUT, if people did a little maintenance once in a blue moon it wouldn't be an issue.

If ya don't maintain it, plan on it not working other than acting as a sloppy pivot. Many people are unaware that half the reason there suspension stinks or it pulls left to right is because it's toast.....

WilliamJ
12-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Alemite, Zerk???? I'm from the other side of the pond.........is that the same thing as a grease nipple?

How is alemite pronounced? Like Yosemite or like dynamite?
Will

KASEY
12-23-2012, 04:10 PM
all you have to do is put anti sieze on the bolt upon installation because its the sleeve seizing to the bolt not the needles which need the grease.. and it will never ever be a problem again . i would NEVER cross drill a swingarm bolt ... EVER!!!!

stroberts22
12-23-2012, 08:11 PM
It's funny that where you are from controls what you call stuff. Where I'm from I tend to call stuff by it's brand name. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Gun drilling is drilling a hole in a shaft lengthwise making it hollow in effort to reduce weight. Sprint cars take this to the extreme when they built there cars. Every bolt on these cars are gundrilled and made from titanium plus axles, crankshafts and anything that rotates is also gundrilled to reduce rotating weight. I think it cool that Honda gundrilled there pivot bolts like this from the factory. I wasn't wanting to make a uproar on this. I was just doing maintenence on my bike and noticed that someone a long time ago modified my pivot bolt to avoid it from sticking like several people has had and wanted to share.

Keith Salyer
12-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Learned 2 new phrases today :)

Mosh
12-24-2012, 11:09 AM
So true. The manuals for most Hi-po machines call for suspension rebuild/service every 8-16 hours of hard use.
Yep, the probably should have. BUT, if people did a little maintenance once in a blue moon it wouldn't be an issue.

If ya don't maintain it, plan on it not working other than acting as a sloppy pivot. Many people are unaware that half the reason there suspension stinks or it pulls left to right is because it's toast.....

all you have to do is put anti sieze on the bolt upon installation because its the sleeve seizing to the bolt not the needles which need the grease.. and it will never ever be a problem again . i would NEVER cross drill a swingarm bolt ... EVER!!!! As you were boasting in the Axle thread of Andy's last week, about your ease of servicing stuff do to lack of rust cuz of where you live, up around here in the rust bowl, anti-seize is the devil. That crap is actually the first stuff to gum up and become an enemy for future service. Not trying to be condescending...Silicone paste is a much better option that repells water, but still is only temporary. It's like 2 different planets from up here to out there.

It's funny. I talk to Mechhanics out in the southwest, and they really do not know what rust even looks like, and tell stories of cars needing repairs from the rust belt from out of towners, and they won't or cant work on them cuz their shop don't even own torches. Up here we eat that crap for breakfast literaly..When you put one of these POS's on a rack a chunk of rust lands in your mouth.

This is a good service trick that Banshee Greg showed me back, many years ago. He did it to his 93 Banshee and still runs that same bolt. I have done it to many..A couple of 1/8 holes will not compromise the bolt. Fortunately, The banshee bolt is hollow all through, so you just tap it for the grease fittings and drill the lube holes..So you guys with Z's have it easy since the Shee bolt swaps. And running delrin bushings is the way to go if you can find them.

CRAZY70MAN
12-24-2012, 03:34 PM
So true. The manuals for most Hi-po machines call for suspension rebuild/service every 8-16 hours of hard use.

As you were boasting in the Axle thread of Andy's last week, about your ease of servicing stuff do to lack of rust cuz of where you live, up around here in the rust bowl, anti-seize is the devil. That crap is actually the first stuff to gum up and become an enemy for future service. Not trying to be condescending...Silicone paste is a much better option that repells water, but still is only temporary. It's like 2 different planets from up here to out there.

It's funny. I talk to Mechhanics out in the southwest, and they really do not know what rust even looks like, and tell stories of cars needing repairs from the rust belt from out of towners, and they won't or cant work on them cuz their shop don't even own torches. Up here we eat that crap for breakfast literaly..When you put one of these POS's on a rack a chunk of rust lands in your mouth.

This is a good service trick that Banshee Greg showed me back, many years ago. He did it to his 93 Banshee and still runs that same bolt. I have done it to many..A couple of 1/8 holes will not compromise the bolt. Fortunately, The banshee bolt is hollow all through, so you just tap it for the grease fittings and drill the lube holes..So you guys with Z's have it easy since the Shee bolt swaps. And running delrin bushings is the way to go if you can find them.

I have become anti anti-seize also Rob. lol...... I use teflon paste now that we use on pipeline fittings. Works great so far.

M.Pargiello
12-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I don't use anti seize up here. That's asking for trouble. Hit it with PB blaster or a torch. Also been known to pull out the sawzall