PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Tri Moto 175

honda200
12-06-2003, 07:08 PM
hey, i was working on my dad's tri moto 175, 1981, i put in the spare engine (boy, that was a job and a half!!) carb on, workin on it again after dinner, i need to see some pictures of the brake linkages and how they work, fron and back, this would be very helpful so when i go out for a quick rip (quick???yea right!! wink )

This would be very helpful, thanks alot

Curtis

honda200
12-06-2003, 09:33 PM
ohh, it looks like (in the box of spare junk that came with it) a brake handle that has a cable the stretches WAY back to the back for the brakes, is this right? or is it off something else?

Curtis

leprogle
12-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Is a Tri-Moto 175 a 2-stroke? I saw one for sale in the classifieds for 200$, just wondering what they're like. do they even have front shocks?
thanks

350XXX
12-07-2003, 12:21 PM
yes the tri moto series of trikes are two strokes. and yes, the front forks have "shocks". if it runs and the plastic is good, thats not a bad price.

slippy4
12-07-2003, 01:15 PM
yes, it is supposed to run to the back brakes

leprogle
12-07-2003, 10:55 PM
what's the average top speed on a tri175?

Dan Tenn
12-08-2003, 10:54 AM
The tri-moto 175 has been quoted as the fastest hard tail production trike made. Holics will beat up on 200X's I believe.

Trikeaholic
12-08-2003, 01:36 PM
with 22" tires on it, it would smoke my 86 200x. At Trikefest, I was running 18" rears, and the shifter shaft finally gave out, so the shifting was slow, and deliberate. I chased 200xman and mike from LI on their 86 and 87 200X's, didn't beat them, but I must blame it on tire size and lack of shifting "feel". They will admit, as will anyone else that rode it, that it is a nasty little bugger. It has a DG head, White bros. pipe, rear suspension kit installed, and a mild polishing on the intake, power reeds, and a new top end. A very fun machine. Even without the rear suspension, they are blast to ride.

Jeb
12-09-2003, 10:39 AM
I rode one a month or so ago. It felt strange to me with front suspension and no rear. Felt kind of tippy to. It felt small to me also. I have to say it was pretty quick. When your used to the racers, the hard tails just dont compare.

With that being said, it still took nearly every fiber in my being not to drop the dough for it because it was in good running shape and fairly good cosmetic shape. definitely had potential. But I figured I'd be trying to hunt up rare & expensive parts to build a "Holic" replica 175. :-D Plus that look you get from the wife, some of you guys know the one when she flashes that "you better not buy that thing" look at you while she's 30 feet away, browsing the other go-karts and things for sale with the kids while Dad is talking "business"!!. :D

I bet it is an interest thing to work on, with engine setting as far back as it is.

Trikeaholic
12-09-2003, 12:11 PM
I keep my eye out for rare 'moto parts frequently, and I have never seen anything else come up. Im pretty sure I have a one of a kind. I hope so, seeing as alot of people are doing free air R's now. Its all good though, Im glad that this board is here to show the potential of some models that have been mostly forgotten.

Dan Tenn
12-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Im still looking for an aftermarket pipe for mine, Ive got the IT175 head, and a new +6 inch durablue rear axle. Just need a pipe and bigger carb. BTW Holic is lucky enough to have two different aftermarket pipes. Lucky SOB.

Trikeaholic
12-09-2003, 04:31 PM
make that 3. I recently picked up a brand new bassini pipe for it. :shock:

$70, new in the wrapper.

honda200
12-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Jeb

with the engine sittin back as far as it does, believe me!! transplantin a good tri moto engine into it is not an easy job!! i must say, gettin the bad one out was no problem, but holy sh!t !!!! i nearly sh!t myself tryin to get it in there! just dont wanna fit! but then, i got the engine in, the choke didnt work, i didnt even bother to try and fire it up by putting gas and oil down the cylinder, it needed about 75 bucks worth of cables, another 50 or so for carb and it needed new plastics, i look at my dad, he looks at me, he offers forget it and take our loses? I say well, um, i dunno
he offered me to fix it up, be he didnt want a part in it, i dont have any money at the moment, so its sittin behind the shop again, I have to say, they look mighty killer with no rear fenders and lookin from the front!

Curtis

Dan Tenn
12-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Was that the one on JL closeout that I went to buy on 12/10/03 ?

GRRRRRRRRR. Now you can sell me your old one right ?

Dan Tenn
12-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Holic,

Are you going to be adding the Bassani pipe to your YT any time soon? I just found another bassani, but it is $80 plus shipping. I'm wondering if you will give a ride report before I buy.

Thanks, Dan

Trikeaholic
12-10-2003, 03:42 PM
it was JL. they cancelled the order saying it was sold. better buy that one before I do.