PDA

View Full Version : clarke tanks 250SX

DIGGER DOG
12-06-2003, 11:26 AM
has any one put a clarke tank on a SX? pics?
Im thinking of putting a 200X front end on my SX and I know if the stops are taken off the bars will dent the tank (metal tank) I wonder if the clarke plastic tank would be damaged (holes) if I did the 200X conversion?

whiteman350x
12-06-2003, 11:55 AM
There was one on my $100 sx when I got it. Donno if the x front end will mess it up or not. Will get my hands on the stock sx front end as soon as I can, (if you still want it).

DIGGER DOG
12-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks whiteman that pic answered another one of my questions that is the fender color really doesent match the tank color so ill get a white tank
and try to go with original color.
what condition is the sx front end in and would you know if the 200x forks will slip into the sx trees the bottom tree on mine has a rack welded to it

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Thanks whiteman that pic answered another one of my questions that is the fender color really doesent match the tank color so ill get a white tank
and try to go with original color.
what condition is the sx front end in and would you know if the 200x forks will slip into the sx trees the bottom tree on mine has a rack welded to it

Last I knew white CLARKES were discontinued - They may have a run if you get a few other guys - I herad 5 orders and they will make them. Otherwise you have to get red - Bluuck!!

The 200X forks slide right in the SX triples but you cannot run a front brake system. And you will need a custom spacer (piece of 1/2 inch blakc gas pipe) or the SX wheel will flop all around.

Or run the 200X triples but you have to weld a new steering stop as it will not be good without it. Then you can have a nice disc brake too.

I don't use the front brake as the SX can be downshifted and I sve about 10 lbs without it.

You can run the stock SX headlight with either triple clamp.

200X suspension is still too soft and needs progressive springs or - my fix 20WT oil and 1" PVC spacers in the fork legs works very well.

whiteman350x
12-07-2003, 12:38 PM
No, I don't think the x forks will fit the sx trees. As to condition of the sx front end I don't know. Will let you know when I get it in hand.

Whiteman

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2003, 12:42 PM
No, I don't think the x forks will fit the sx trees. As to condition of the sx front end I don't know. Will let you know when I get it in hand.

Whiteman

2"'s longer but I've had 85,86 and 87 forks and they are the exact same diameter as the SX. It's the easiest way to improve the trike and I find them about 20$ a pop.

Check out this link below - 200X on SX triples I sold last night.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2445973045&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAS:US:3

DIGGER DOG
12-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Killer fellas ,bummer about the white tank.
decisions decisions decisions what to do what to do
I am not a welder /fabricator so I dont want to hassle with a tree stop,
the SX is for the wife so front brakes would be nice but I would like to improve it some so I can have some fun with it too.
I would like to go back to the stock configuration but will need the metal tank $$$$$ and where do I find one (none on e bay ) I always get sniped any ways I would much rather do the 350X but no roller fer parts so the SX is the winter proj. I do have at leasr 2 extra sets of 200x fronts with trees but forks need rebuilt I dont want to do that as I think itll be a pain in the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro Dirtcrasher dont you have a front assy on e bay ?? woultd that just be a bolt on ?? Ive been thinking about this proj. since I got the bike and still havent made up my mind on what the hell im gonna do

DIGGER DOG
12-07-2003, 01:08 PM
doh never mind dirt crasher you sold em ( i didnt read it all ) :oops:

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Killer fellas ,bummer about the white tank.
decisions decisions decisions what to do what to do
I am not a welder /fabricator so I dont want to hassle with a tree stop,
the SX is for the wife so front brakes would be nice but I would like to improve it some so I can have some fun with it too.
I would like to go back to the stock configuration but will need the metal tank $$$$$ and where do I find one (none on e bay ) I always get sniped any ways I would much rather do the 350X but no roller fer parts so the SX is the winter proj. I do have at leasr 2 extra sets of 200x fronts with trees but forks need rebuilt I dont want to do that as I think itll be a pain in the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro Dirtcrasher dont you have a front assy on e bay ?? woultd that just be a bolt on ?? Ive been thinking about this proj. since I got the bike and still havent made up my mind on what the hell im gonna do

I've got cleaning them thoroughly and drying them off, popping in new seals down to about 45 minutes a pair. I could do any of these ATC forks just as quick. Don't sweat it - there are about 10 pieces to each leg and they are easy to rebuild. Usually a new seal will fix them up enough for the riding we all do, it is rare I find the chrome flaking or ruined and the bushings - unless the coating is worn off can be used again. Biggest thing is bent forks, alot of them are slightly bent in a wreck and nobody even realizes it until they check. Throw th lower leg in a vice securely and then close one eye and spin the upper tube within - you will see if it is out a 16th" or more and thats enough to be - not good.

DIGGER DOG
12-07-2003, 04:52 PM
the only thing im worried about is stripping the threads when i go to bolt it back together that and getting the crap knocked outta me when taking it apart