PDA

View Full Version : Axle threads and Nut for Tri Z

New2Tri-Z
12-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Hey Guys, just picked up an 86 Tri Z but the axle nuts are missing. Cant seem to find any OEM replacements. I know I can swap out for a banshee axle, but can I use the double lock nuts from a stock banshee axle on my Tri Z axle? What about the locking Alum ones, are they worth my time? Also I am afraid because the nuts are missing that the threads may be goofed up or something. Is there any way to easily clean up the threads? I dont want to replace axle yet if possible becuase I plan on doing a full makeover including a durablue +4" but wouldnt mind doing a little riding this winter before I tear it all down.

wisconsinite
12-13-2012, 07:02 PM
a thread file is the way to go if the threads are a little mushed. it won't do much if they're totally thrashed, but they work great if the threads are dinged up.

TimSr
12-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Hey Guys, just picked up an 86 Tri Z but the axle nuts are missing. Cant seem to find any OEM replacements. I know I can swap out for a banshee axle, but can I use the double lock nuts from a stock banshee axle on my Tri Z axle? What about the locking Alum ones, are they worth my time? Also I am afraid because the nuts are missing that the threads may be goofed up or something. Is there any way to easily clean up the threads? I dont want to replace axle yet if possible becuase I plan on doing a full makeover including a durablue +4" but wouldnt mind doing a little riding this winter before I tear it all down.

The Banshee nuts are wider, and threaded area on the Banshee axle is wider so if you have an actual original TriZ axle, there are not enough threads to handle two of the Banshee lock nuts. I ran into this, and ended up using one Banshee nut and one TriZ nut on each of two machines. If you ever run one of each, put the narrow one on first.