PDA

View Full Version : 250r axle bearing armageddon!!

CRAZY70MAN
12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
I knew I was in for a fight but nothing like this. http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/th_P9040060.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/?action=view&current=P9040060.jpg) Took it to my buddy and whe used his huge electric hydraulic 200 ton press while red hot with a torch and nothing:( No where to really block it with thick enough steel other that rotor and rotor hub. So, 3 hours....8 dremmel discs and a grinder, 4 different hammers and new dirty words I finally got it. I had to make a decision, had to sacrifice axle and carrier but carrier was cracked anyway when I got it out so basically lost axle. Never in my life have I had a battle like that sucker! Good thing I gotta work or I would have had to get into the beer to go any further into that mess. Deep breaths........:lol: I even had to cut off the threaded collar the axle nuts thread onto??

Swinger
12-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow!! Well at least the hard part is over with. If I come across something like that I PB blaster the crap outta it then let it soak for a few days, then hit it with heat and a hammer.

Mosh
12-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Yeah I have had to press a few out myself but they never took that much... after an hour I would have chucked the whole dang thing in the scrap pile and bought all new stuff.

Carrier bearing armegeddon..LMAO

I have a dang near NEW 86 aftermarket dual row bearing carrier with one ride on it here I can sell you if needed.

captainweezy
12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Hell you can glue that back together.

Tri-Z 250
12-11-2012, 05:13 PM
The Tri-Z in the corner...justs :lol: away!

ChrisD
12-11-2012, 07:28 PM
That's not good at all. I've never seen that before. While you are having fun, you should try to replace the swingarm bearings. Judging from that bearing carrier, I would be afraid though. For the swingarm bearings, you may need a saws all. I was there on both my current R's wen I got them. Good luck with the project!

KASEY
12-11-2012, 08:47 PM
i WON'T post a video of the axle removal here in arizona... it would make you CRY!!! 15 whole minutes!! i have alot of cheap parts if you need anything.... 85 or 86 ,,,

bkm
12-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I had a 350x like that and even a press wouldn't work. I actually used a baddas$ air hammmer on the back side of the brake hub and it came off. I couldn't believe my eyes seeing that hammmer work its magic. I was ready to do like Mosh said and chuck it in the garbage, but my buddy was convinced it would work and he was right.

Howdy
12-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Years ago I used a Construction jack hammer to remove a axle. I wished I still had connections.
Howdy

CRAZY70MAN
12-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Yeah I have had to press a few out myself but they never took that much... after an hour I would have chucked the whole dang thing in the scrap pile and bought all new stuff.

Carrier bearing armegeddon..LMAO

I have a dang near NEW 86 aftermarket dual row bearing carrier with one ride on it here I can sell you if needed.

Hey Rob I will give you a call about that carrier. I have a few other offers also.....

CRAZY70MAN
12-12-2012, 12:51 AM
That's not good at all. I've never seen that before. While you are having fun, you should try to replace the swingarm bearings. Judging from that bearing carrier, I would be afraid though. For the swingarm bearings, you may need a saws all. I was there on both my current R's wen I got them. Good luck with the project!

Ya Chris....I already ordered complete bearing kit........fingers are crossed. Unbeleiveable but to be expected sometimes huh?? Especially in Ohio.......like Kasey said. That good old west coast weather could have prevented all this or a little maintenance.....water under the bridge now..lol

CRAZY70MAN
12-12-2012, 12:53 AM
The Tri-Z in the corner...justs :lol: away!

That ain't even right Steve......cause I did look over there at her.......:lol::lol:

Tri-Z 250
12-23-2012, 12:56 AM
You should have called Chuck Norris over to flip kick that peice to a back arm twist lock with a quick snap off the molars...that thing would have fell to the ground faster than a non-twist beer bottle cap at IceFest. While he was there you could have knocked off the rust using his 400grit stubble chin.

Kintore
12-23-2012, 10:16 AM
I hear ya mandy, Ive had a few bad ones as well.

Ive had to destroy my carrier too, I was holding a 4 foot of 2x4 and my buddy was swinging a sledge. Ended up we needed more sledge, went to work and got the industrial size model. After a couple more 2x4's it FINALLY came out. Took about 3 hours, 30 miles of fuel, 250+ cuss words, and about 12 beer.

Bryan Raffa
12-23-2012, 10:29 AM
...that thing would have fell to the ground faster than a non-twist beer bottle cap at IceFest. .

and we all Know that's Fast!