PDA

View Full Version : Installing tire on 2 piece 90/110 wheels

KI4UJO
12-09-2012, 01:19 AM
Ok, here we go. I purchased a replacement OEM tire to replace my original Cheng Shin from 1983 which was dryrotted. I have a wheel painted and ready to accept a tire. So, how do I put it on? It seems that when I put the wheel halves on the tire, they will only slide on 3/4 of the way, leaving 1 inch of the wheel between the tire. So what am I missing? Whatdo I need to do to get the tire fully on the wheel?
Thanks in advance

Jon Boy
12-09-2012, 01:44 AM
just go ahead and bolt it together, don't forget a new o-ring. i spray very soapy water on both sides between the tire/rim. air only to the tires recommended max psi, it should pop the bead into place pretty easy. :beer

kb0nly
12-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Yep, lots of lube... LOL

I like to use dish soap and just squirt it on and smear it around, they make a lot of commercial products for this but a little cheap liquid dish soap always takes care of the job easily, and washes right off easier than some of that tire snot the shops around here use. I keep a spray bottle of 50/50 mix, half dish soap half water, put the water in first then pour the soap in, leave a bit of room at the top and dont shake it just kinda rock the bottle back and forth to mix it without foaming it up too much. Works great for tire lube.