PDA

View Full Version : New coil and still no spark????

Paul
12-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Is there anyway to actualy check the coil?? I just bought a coil on ebay from a guy who says his engine whent out and everything else was good, and i still dont get a spark?? i cant figure this out :oops: :?: :x

anybody? thanks

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-05-2003, 09:03 PM
easiest and simplest way to check the coil is to stick your finger in the plug cap and kick it over, LOL if you get a shock, then its good, if you dont, then something is wrong....its not a HUGE shock so dont worry about getting hurt........It may also be something else other then the coil, check all the ground wires, and where the wires connect, also your stator could be bad.

Paul
12-06-2003, 04:25 AM
Well i checked all the conections at the ground and they are good. to tell you the truth i dont even know what a stator is? and is there any way i can check if i am getting anything before the coil? am i supposed to have any voltage or anything??

Thanks

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-06-2003, 08:12 PM
ok..the stator is in the sidecase of the engine, the flywheel goes around it, the flywheel is the big roung magnet.....the stator is the main powerplant for the power of the engine, the wires that come out of the sidecase of the engine lead to the stator...............the coil is what the spark plug wire comes out of

Bumb
12-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Stators are the reason my headlight works cuse my battery is dead.

Paul
12-07-2003, 12:25 AM
Well my headlights were always really dim for somereason. But it still ran fine!!

Is there anyway i can check my stator or coil?? i dont want to go out spending all the money on the wrong parts, like i did with the coil:( some of this parts are pretty spendy, if there would be a way to check and myne was bad i would definetly by one.

slippy4
12-07-2003, 12:56 AM
well do you have a multimeter? in the manual if you have one it will tell you how to test your coil and stator with a multimeter. you just check how much continuity there is. if you dont have a manual, ask someone on the forums for the info.

thefox
12-07-2003, 01:33 AM
OK, the stator has a separate coil for the lights and for the ignition system (the pickup coil). To test the pickup coil use an ohm meter to test the resistance between the white/red wire and the white/green wire, they are located comming out of the engine down by the pullstart. The resistance should be 196 ohms (+ or - 10%). To test the ignition coil (the one that the spark plug plugs into) you just measure the resistance between the orange wire and ground, the resistance should be 0.85 ohms (+ or - 20%) and the resistance between the spark plug lead and the orange wire. This should be 5.9K ohms (+ or - 20%). Hope this helps.

-Andrew

hondaATCman
12-07-2003, 01:42 PM
easiest and simplest way to check the coil is to stick your finger in the plug cap and kick it over, LOL if you get a shock, then its good, if you dont, then something is wrong

LOL, thats what I did to check if I had spark and let me tell ya, that was one time I wanted to get shocked. I was so happy, I did it again :D

I can almost bet you it is your stator though. If you don't have a ohm meter, you need to get one or borrow one and test the two wires coming out of the left side of the crankcase and it should read somewhere between the manual's (get one if you don't have one!) specs.

Paul
12-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the help guys i will definetly check it, i am going to borrow a reader from my friend. but only one question, am i supposed to be checking will pulling the pull start or??

Thanks

J.D.
12-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Nope, just trace the wires where the come up to the connector from the left side of the engine. Dude every mechanic should own a voltmeter/ohmmeter. WalMart has a good digital one for 20 bucks, comes with batteries. Good luck.

Paul
12-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Ok these is really strange, i checked the white/red wire and the white/green wire the pickup coil and i get 186 ohms my ignition coil(both the old and the new are at 1ohms sometimes goes up to 1.1ohms and then back to 1ohms.

quote: " resistance between the spark plug lead and the orange wire. This should be 5.9K ohms (+ or - 20%). Hope this helps. "

this is the only one i couldnt check cause i didnt really understand what you meant!!

thanks

Paul
12-09-2003, 02:45 AM
bump