PDA

View Full Version : Two 1985 250sx's trying to make one

bearclawchris
12-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Was wondering if anyone can help me find parts and diagrams for fixing the one way clutch gear on my machines both have problems with kickstarters and one I have partially pulled apart, and have several parts needing replaced. I guess some call it a sprag gear, which is probably the culprit in both trikes. The one I have started to disassemble has a broken starter gear and the gear it meshes too is also missing most of the teeth. I need to locate a good picture before I pull the clutch off to see the one way gear. any pics links or general knowledge about fixing this will be greatly appreciated. Also parts links. Thanks.

MRSOUND
12-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Here's a link to download your manuals free. Provided by one of the members here. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

dustrunner
12-04-2012, 06:08 PM
i know what you'll be doing this winter... good luck...

bearclawchris
12-06-2012, 03:48 AM
I have some work and money ahead on this one. Wish I had known Honda made some failure stuff before I picked up these two. I always thought they made the most awesome indestructible machines.

tri again
12-06-2012, 05:19 AM
We never know what these poor things go through before we get them.

Some people run the starters with the kill switch off when they should start with the shortest possible hit to the start button.

The only kick design failure is in the 200x models but a newer spring fixes that.

I know I know, this may be a good start for a new thread.

Common failure points.
The 125m has trouble with a 9 dollar shift drum stopper.
200x kick starter.
250 models? water intrusion into the read axle gears.

stuff like that Would be nice to know.

Honestly, once we get them straightened out, they last forever...unless we loan them out.

Failure is usually neglect of some sort.

When I need parts, another whole machine usually shows up cheaper than the parts I need.
Keep the faith.
The 250 sx is a go anywhere, do anything machine, for sure.

I'm sure you can't lose, even if (hate to say it)
you part them out.

250sxman
12-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Just take your time, and take lots of pictures before you tear into something so you know what it looked like before you tore it apart! SX's are great trikes, an '85 SX was my first trike, when I busted my ankle on it (too wide too fit in between 2 trees - mis-judged by me) it rolled and flipped 30 feet in front of me, landed on it's back, still running, I walked (hobbled) over to it, flipped it back over, and rode it back to the house. Very reliable.

If you look on most of the online parts stores (rockymountainatv.com, cheapcycleparts.com, etc.) they have diagrams of just about every part on your trike down to the decals, it was a lot of help for me to just look at them while I was re-doing my 200s.

Good luck and keep us updated, and as I'm sure you know we all love pics!

fire1
12-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Contact FlyingW on this board he has vast knowledge of 250sx's

Flyingw
12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
FlyingW checking in. Give me a shout and I'll tell you all you need to know about the SX. You can always get me at jamesbaldwin99@gmail.com.

ps2fixer
12-08-2012, 06:07 AM
I have a couple of parts engines for 250ES (big red), and a complete 250sx engine that I will be looking to sell whole after I fix the one way bearing (the kick start problem). So if you need parts, I have some. I have a full 85 250sx parts machine (which has the good engine) that I'll be parting out after I make sure the engine is good to go after the repair. It was "converted" to a big red, and frame/plastics, and seat are trashed.

For a quick review of the SX machines, great all around trike, no chain to adjust, so change oil + keep gas in it, and once in a while new tires. They truely can go just about anywhere, but I try to keep mine out of the mud (have a beater 250es for that). Suspension seems to be better than the big reds for faster riding, but on my machine it seems a little stiff at the rear, and the front can be swapped out with a 200x, or I think a 350x would work too.

To add to the common problems, 1 way bearing on the auto clutch for the big reds and the sx seem to go out commonly where the kick starter will "slip" sometimes when you kick it (2 of my ~7 machines have the problem).

bearclawchris
12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks to all of you for your info and replies. I am going to tear into my 2nd machine here when I get a chance and see what gears I may be able to salvage, and go on from there. I know for certain both need one way gears . Busy season right now, but I may call on you all for parts/answers in the near future. Thanks!

jeffatc250r
12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I have all the parts you may need, check my classified ad