PDA

View Full Version : The fun and adventures of carb swapping.

Mack
12-02-2012, 09:20 PM
So I am in the process of swapping out my stock 30mm for a recently purchased PJ34. I was able to get the intake boot (reed side) over the larger carb but i'm having two problems.

1) The air box side of the carb is way too large to fit inside the boot that connects it to the air box. I've heated it, stretched it and tried prying it on and it just doesn't fit. An air box is an absolute must for me because I do a lot of mud/water riding and I simply need it. I fabbed up a cure with an exhaust flange that will butt against the carb and tied them together with a rubber boot from menards and some hose clamps. This allows me to make use of the stock boot for the air box side but creates another issue. Using the exhaust flange adds about an inch to the back of my carb and now the air box won't fit in its place. I could perhaps cut the bolt tab from the back of the air box and weld some new brackets on the frame that will allow me to bolt through the sides of the air box and seal with rubber grommets but i'd like to rule out any simpler fixes first.

So... would an 86' R boot fit my 84' air box?
Is there anyway to connect my carb to my air box without moving the box back?

2) My next issue is that with the new carb on, my throttle cable appears to be too long. there is excess cable sticking out the top of the carb and won't allow the rubber boot to come down far enough to seal the carb cap. There is however no play in the throttle just excess cable through the cap.

I know i've read somewhere here or at airfoolers.com that this carb is a direct bolt on lol. If someone has done this or is familiar with the swap, please send some suggestions/ideas my way. I'll make it work either way but i'd like to make it as professional as possible.

Thanks, Mack

Gripit'n'ripit
12-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Well, having no previous experience with this, but planning on a similar swap, I'd say take the boot off the box and fab up something new. I've done this on the reed side, so i can't imagine the box side with be any more difficult.

Whatever you do, post it. I'd like to see how you make it work.