PDA

View Full Version : ATC 110 Tire change.

11-25-2002, 03:58 AM
How do get the tires on and off? I have split the rim.

jeswinehart
11-25-2002, 07:34 AM
all the split rims i have dealt with i was putting tubes in them and never really tried to get them off the rim. just putting tubes in was a real chore and normally would require sevral bandaids.
the tires i have taken off was any better, i don't have a bead buster and won't go into the details of how i ended up getting tires off but will offer a glimpse by saying i know where the saying " a monkey fighting a football" come from !

i take them to a tire store and pay 5 bucks to have dismounted now

john

SeD
11-25-2002, 08:37 PM
I recently changed the tires on a set of split rims. To take them off I used a 4 or 5 ft long 2x4 and set one end on the tire next to the rim and just kept pounding down on it and working my way around the rim until it slid off. After that I buffed all the rust off and primed and painted the wheels. When you are ready to install the tires put one of the rim halves on the ground with the outside facing down, then spread some dishwashing liquid over the tire bead. Set the tire on the rim, then lube up a new or reuse the old o-rings in between the rim, with all purpose grease. Set the other half of the rim in place trying to get the bolt holes as evenly matched as possible before you actually set it down completely, just so the o-ring doesn't move around too much. Bolt them together, and fill them up with air. :)

11-25-2002, 10:43 PM
Thanks guy's, sounds like alot of fun! can't wait. Eric :twisted:

freaksfix
11-26-2002, 01:49 AM
I've allways just ran over them with my truck, and if there still being a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro break out the old bumper jack put the square plate on the bead hook on to the bumper and jack away..I've done that on truck tires!!! it works... ;)

11-26-2002, 05:31 AM
I am trying to picture the jack trick, not clear. I like the drive over it idea, I just don't get that either. Are the rims supposed to be split? just how difficult is it to put the new rubber on.

freaksfix
11-26-2002, 04:27 PM
All you gotta do is take a bumper jack (not a sizzor jack) they have a square plate on the bottom, set that plate on the bead ( as close to the rim as you can with being on the rim) put the J hook on the jack on the bumper as if your jacking up the truck, but instead of the truck going up the jack is pushing down on the tire. As for running over it same idea as beating on the 2by4, line up your tire on the truck with the bead on wheeler tire and drive over it slow and it will break the bead. Or even lay a 2by6 across the dead like a ramp and drive up it...

200xer
11-26-2002, 05:14 PM
we made up a bead breaker that bolts to the garage floor and it's still a pain to do. Just about impossible if the rims are rusted badly. I would just take the tire and rim to a tire shop and have it done. Some places don't charge much at all.

tecatecrazy
11-26-2002, 10:01 PM
What we have done is use a steel car ramp (you know those things that you used to use before you stopped changing your own engine oil) and put one end of the ramp by the bead of the tire that you are trying to remove (tire lying on its side of course) and drive your car onto the ramp. If you want to save the tire you will need to place something between the tire and the ramp like a 2x4 to keep the sharp edges of the ramp from digging into the tire.---Joe

NOS_350X
11-28-2002, 05:17 AM
to break the beed just run over the tire not the rim and it will slip off pull the rims appart and wah laa u have 1 tire and a rim in 2 pieces and to put it back together with trailprotrailpro new tire just use tubes its alot easyer than trying to seal them again use the tubes even if they say not to its much easyer and takes alot of work and time out of the job of sealing the rim

tulsamike3434
04-05-2012, 07:19 PM
WOW sound's like LOADS of fun!!! I have tryed to take them to the tire shops around here and they will not do it Honda wont even mess with them anymore around here!

tri again
04-06-2012, 12:03 AM
WOW sound's like LOADS of fun!!! I have tryed to take them to the tire shops around here and they will not do it Honda wont even mess with them anymore around here!

Almost hate to say it but Walmart sells lawnmower tires and quad and trike looking tires.

The guy said 5 bucks for dismount.
but didn't look all that happy about it.

Mine took me 2 weeks.
1/2 day to get them off, 13 days to get rid of the cramps
and a day to get them back on.
They're still sitting in my living room waiting to actually go back on the trike.

And to think, I used to hate dead batteries.
Now I hate tires.