PDA

View Full Version : Tecate engine cases

JMiller
12-04-2003, 11:42 PM
I need help splitting the cases on my 87 T3. I have all the bolts out and tried pulling the left case off with a case puller, but I cant get it to seperate more than 1 millimeter. Please help!! engine. Let me know what I need to take apart or what is the easiest way split the case.

OZQUAD44
12-05-2003, 08:18 AM
I had the same issue when I split the cases on my tecate;
1. Go over those cases with a fine tooth comb to make sure you have got every bolt out, check behind any gears, pins or bearings that you may still have on the cases. you don't want to be trying to lever cases apart that are still bolted together.
2. make or obtain a puller assy that pushes against the crank and attaches itself to one side of the case.
3. Apply a little heat to the area around where the crank bearings sit. Be very careful don't melt the cases, they are old aluminum. just a little heat for expansion.
4. be paitent, they will come apart. They're just old and cranky (geddit "Cranky")
5. I initialy got mine apart with two screw drivers and a soft mallet, but i recommend you to use a puller instead to avoid scoring the case halves as they have to make a proper seal once reassembled

Jeb
12-05-2003, 11:03 AM
Good, you do have a puller!

OZ provided good info. After you make double darn sure you've got everything on the clutch side removed, get your case starting to split again. when it starts to bind up, take a mallet and give the sprocket shaft a couple of taps. You can also put an M6 bolt into a couple of the holes out by the sprocket shaft, leave them loose and tap on them. what this does is helps the tranny gear shafts and the sprocket (or counter) shaft slide out of their bosses, holes, etc... in the cases. As you push on the crank with the puller, these shafts can drag a little and cause the case to "cock" and bind up. tapping on the them will get them moving again and ensure the cases are separating squarely.

JMiller
12-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys, I finally split the cases and replace my seals and bearings as needed. Now, can you give me any tips on reassembling the cases, for instance the tranny?

200x Basket
12-06-2003, 12:09 PM
be sure to have the tranny in neutral when you are assembling the clutch