PDA

View Full Version : White 84-85 Tecate Tank and Blue27 Custom Decals

bkm
11-28-2012, 03:29 AM
This is the infamous dcreel white Clarke tank that was pretty much a paper weight the way it cam from clarke. It had a lot of blems and was so porous in spots that you could see daylight through it. I contacted Blue27 (Bruce) here on the boards and wanted him to change up the colors of a classic Kawasaki decal. I believe these are early 80's KX250 decals. I then applied the caswell tank liner epoxy for two reasons. First and most important was to seal the holes in the tank and second was to be able to apply a decal without it bubbling. I think it turned out pretty good. I would like to thank Bruce for the excellent job on the decals. He was also kind enough to throw in a few freebies.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/100_2063.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/100_2065.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/100_2064.jpg

bkm
11-28-2012, 03:32 AM
I forgot to mention that Bruce was able to match the blue in the decal stripe to my seat perfectly. It is the exact look I was going for. Thanks again!

Vealmonkey
11-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Congrats bkm. The trike looks really sweet. Bruce does great work, doesn't he? I would recommend him to anyone. He's helped me out on more occasions than I can think of and he usually tolerates me. LOL I do have a question on the caswell liner. I have a nos tank for my bw200 and was looking into using the caswell prouct. Did you have to do any special prepwork before you poured in the product? Also, have you put gas in the trike yet? I was curious on how the liner held up or adhered to the plastic tank, which in the description of the product, says it's good for. I was looking for some reliable first hand testimony. Between the bubbling of the decals and the yellowing of the white plastic, I was really hoping that the caswell product would stop most if not all of the problems. I would hate to run 1 or 2 tanks of gas and my new tank start looking like crap, you know? Keep us posted on how the caswell is working out. Looking forward to a video of this trike running too.

bkm
11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks Pat, I agree I couldn't be happier with Bruce's work and the liner was curing as the pics were snapped. The prep consisted of filling the tank with a little water, a few drips of dawn dish soap, and big handful of new drywall screws to rough up the inside of the tank. I shook the hell out of it for probably like a half an hour. I don't know if it was over kill, just right, or not enough, but this was Caswell's recommendation for prep of a plastic tank. I then rinsed it out and let it dry for about three month's lol. That step is not necessary, but it took forever to get motivated to get back at it.

This morning the epoxy is nice and smooth and seems very durable just buy feeling it. I know Fire1 applied it to a 250r tank and has painted it and as far as I know it its holding great and his is paint not just decals.

Its very easy to apply and I say go for it. I don't know how big your tank, but I ended up mixing the whole contents and pouring it in so that I got a good coverage. The directions called for you to let it sit upside down and drain out any excess so that it didn't puddle. The directions were very good and even a goof like me had no problem following them.

fabiodriven
11-28-2012, 09:48 AM
That tank looks fantastic.

I know Johnny Swinehart has Caswell in one of his Tecate tanks and as far as I know it's been in there for years. He'd be the man to hear from about this, but last I knew all was well with the liner.

Just a tip (which I highly doubt you'll need to utilize)- If the decals ever do bubble (which I highly doubt will happen with the liner), you can perforate them and they more than likely will stay on nice from there.

bkm
11-28-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but was thinking that would be the way to go if it happens.

dcreel
11-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Looks great Bryan! Bruce has always come through with flying colors for me too on decals or shirts. He does amazing work.

Mr. Clean
11-28-2012, 01:14 PM
This morning the epoxy is nice and smooth and seems very durable just buy feeling it. I know Fire1 applied it to a 250r tank and has painted it and as far as I know it its holding great and his is paint not just decals.

I spoke a couple weeks ago to fire1 and he reported zero problems and his R has been ridden and held fuel for months!

Jeepermc
11-28-2012, 05:46 PM
That looks awesome! Keep me posted on the liner as I have a black tank that needs it.

ezmoney1979
11-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Looks great man! Nice job! :beer

jmax857
11-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Who made the decal? I would mind his address for email

aldochina
11-28-2012, 08:21 PM
love the look of the white tank! a white # plate, and or disk gaurd would tie it sweet with the westcoast!!

jeswinehart
11-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Yeah, the red Tecate tank I done 4(+?) years ago was holding up fine with the after market decals staying on/no bubble trouble.
Most likely the decals shown came thru me, from a lady who do my Tecate emblems. I have had her do up in several different color schemes.
We would need to get a update from TecateDan about how those emblems are holding up on the red T-3 tank I did with Redcoat (not Caswell, but heard nothing but awesome reports on Caswells product). I sold Dan the red plastic every thing a couple of years ago.

Dan, ya out there ????

fabiodriven
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Who made the decal? I would mind his address for email

Blue27 made them. If you took the time to read the first post you'd see that Einstein.

bkm
11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
love the look of the white tank! a white # plate, and or disk gaurd would tie it sweet with the westcoast!!Great minds think alike:naughty:

Micahdogg
11-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Wow, that thing is amazing looking!

jmax857
11-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Blue27 made them. If you took the time to read the first post you'd see that Einstein.

Is the attitude necessary? No it isnt so quit being a bully.
It isnt the first time you have been redonkulously rude to people including myself on this forum for no reason.

fabiodriven
11-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Oh there's a reason. Now drop it and don't ruin this thread.

bkm
11-28-2012, 11:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2V8wK7oI94:lol::lol:

jeswinehart
11-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Oh there's a reason. Now drop it and don't ruin this thread.

daM now, I reckon i did not read enough either fabio. They look exactly like the ones I have sent dcreel over the years, NICE job blue ! Thought I'd better get that out there before I get bushwhacked too :)

jmax857
11-28-2012, 11:48 PM
All I done was asked a polite question I am truly sorry for ruining the thread for everyone.

bkm
11-28-2012, 11:53 PM
daM now, I reckon i did not read enough either fabio. They look exactly like the ones I have sent dcreel over the years, NICE job blue ! Thought I'd better get that out there before I get bushwhacked too :)John you are actually correct. I sent Bruce a pic of the blue and white decal that dcreel had on the green tank cover when I got the bike and must have gotten from you some time ago. I wanted green instead of white for obvious reasons and the blue to match the seat cover since the decal was a little darker. Bruce just so happen to have a gas tank with the original decal on it in his hands so he copied it and then matched the colors to my liking. Your blue and white decal looks great on the green tank.

jeswinehart
11-29-2012, 12:37 AM
No worries jmax, you are blending in rather well my friend :) All in good sportsmanship indeed.

blue27
11-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks BKM, and I like the White tank with the green fenders, thats nice looking trike.

bkm
11-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks BKM, and I like the White tank with the green fenders, thats nice looking trike.Thank you sir. I can't take any real credit though. dcreel had it ready to go when I got it and if you hadn't been able to do the decals I probably wouldn't have messed with the white tank. Thank you all for the compliments.

fire1
11-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Looks great Bryan a like the color combination!

Motorgidd
11-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Nice looking trike! So what is the trick to getting tank stickers to not bubble on the plastic Clark tanks? Caswell tank liner epoxy? What do you have to do?

bkm
11-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Nice looking trike! So what is the trick to getting tank stickers to not bubble on the plastic Clark tanks? Caswell tank liner epoxy? What do you have to do?Buy and apply the epoxy as instructed and then cross your fingers.

yaegerb
12-13-2012, 12:02 AM
That tank turned out slick! Nice work blue and Bryan!