PDA

View Full Version : 200x won't idle...again

BigRedRunner
12-04-2003, 08:19 PM
I finally got a carb kit in my '84 200x and now the sucker won't idle. Carb was COMPLETELY disassembled and soaked twice. The only thing that was done different from stock on the carb was replacing the 108 jet with 110 because the bike has a pipe on it. Needle is set second grove from the top and the pilot screw was set back out 2 1/4 of turn.

It will run fine for about 4 seconds, start to drop off and then die. If you hit the throttle when it's dying, it'll pick up and do the same thing all over again. The jug and pipe get awfully warm for only running a minute or two and it doesn't smell quite "right" Thinking maybe a little lean. Will also get a little sputter from the pipe every now and then while hitting the throttle. I Haven't ridden it like this yet.

Any thoughts on what to look for. Main and slow jet passages look clean as a whistle. Bowl always has fuel in it. The timing is right on the money. Haven't got to the valves yet, but it would stay running despite the fact it was loading up from a crumbled pilot screw gasket before the kit.

I've got new clutches, chain, sprockets, and host of other knick knacks and have only got to ride it once. Fun, huh? :rolleyes:

slippy4
12-04-2003, 10:33 PM
put the 108 back into it and try it once. sounds like the same thing when i put my pipe and what not on. what does the plug look like when you go to start it after it dies?

BigRedRunner
12-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Plug is as dark as coal because I down to my old one. I bought a brand new, but since my pilot screw o-ring was gone, it drowned the poor thing to death. It'll no longer jump the gap, so I used the old one it came with and it started on the first kick. Needless to say, I felt stupid doing all that kicking for ten minutes, only to have it to work with the old one. I think I'll try the 108. Just out of curiousty, which direction do you turn the pilot screw to richen it?

slippy4
12-04-2003, 10:57 PM
out, and i thought it was only supposed to be 1 or 1 1/2 turns out?

ATCMedic
12-05-2003, 10:52 AM
The air screw should be 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out, you should also check the cutout on the slide where the idle adjustment screw rests. These get galled up from being tightened up over time, if you see an indent in there try filing/sanding it smooth to prevent your slide from getting hung up on the burr. Once all is smooth adjust your idle screw to the right speed and it should stay running (assuming everything else is adjusted properly)

BigRedRunner
12-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks! I'm beginning to tire of the Cylmer manual. It said 2 1/4 turns The diagrams and pictures are great, but the directions have done nothing for me. :rolleyes: I'm just glad I've got enough common sense to figure out most things on my own. I remember reading your advice on the slide and I'm sure thats part of the problem why it high idles sometimes. I wanna keep the 110 jet because its about in the 20s here right now. How do I fine tune the screw from this point?