PDA

View Full Version : Missile engineering alive and well ... what a shocker... to me at least

cavemanbob21
11-24-2012, 11:35 PM
So poking through tons of threads looking for how to setup flat track bikes today cuz i figure flat track and ice racing very similiar? i run into the info that missile engineering not only still exists they still make the missile kit to convert 250r into a 2 wheel extreme. im super pumped i was sure they were a complete thing of the past. i was curious though i seen a bike build by xrider i believe that said he had a missile flat track kit. Was it made by missile engineering and if it was do they still make it????

fire1
11-24-2012, 11:45 PM
There web site only last the missle kit

just ben
11-25-2012, 08:32 AM
I heard of a group buy for the flattrack kit but I'm not sure if it ever took off. I think they needed a min. of 5 kits,I can't remember exactly it was a few months ago.

TatTooL23
11-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah John Kite would maybe interested in doing flat track set ups if there were enough committed with money. But u know how that goes. He is very busy. Sometimes hard to contact. Still at it though.

Cave Rider
11-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I would be more than interested..might even bust out the plastic for that one!!! Not sure what it is with "cave" guys,but apparently we like going in circles... Not to mention,one of the only attractions in "Howes Cave" where I live. Is a flat track !!!

cavemanbob21
11-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Well who doesnt like to go in circles fast lol but whose this John kite that Tattoo mentioned? id be interested in one have to see a price and what not on a flat track kit i think that would be pretty Badass

lucas1
11-25-2012, 10:40 PM
i want a 2 wheel extreme kit how do i get ahold of john

xrider
11-26-2012, 08:43 AM
So poking through tons of threads looking for how to setup flat track bikes today cuz i figure flat track and ice racing very similiar? i run into the info that missile engineering not only still exists they still make the missile kit to convert 250r into a 2 wheel extreme. im super pumped i was sure they were a complete thing of the past. i was curious though i seen a bike build by xrider i believe that said he had a missile flat track kit. Was it made by missile engineering and if it was do they still make it????

Jon Kite is the owner of Missle Engineering / Village Blacksmith. He still has the jigs and the capability to make them, but he will need an order of 5+ to warrant making them. His number is in the bottom left corner on the ad below, you can call and discuss it with him. If you do seriously look into having more sets made, be sure to have him change the rear hub adapters to modern kart wheel patterns. The old style Trophy wheels are almost impossible to find. Yes I do have a kit for a 200x. I attached a picture below at the Battle of the Barn race from earlier this year.

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/zwaylo/MissileCarts.jpg
http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/zwaylo/missile.jpg
http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/zwaylo/Picturesfromoldcomputer1632.jpg
http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/zwaylo/Picturesfromoldcomputer1640.jpg
http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/zwaylo/0120121409-1.jpg

TatTooL23
11-26-2012, 08:52 AM
He told me he would have to change the hubs. Also said he could talk to Douglas about making rims and would have to do a special order of +6 durablue's on one side.

His work is awesome. But u pay for the quality. I got a missile kit from him. Let me just say u can't be afraid to put up some pretty serious money for this stuff. We talked about the flat track kit but he said the cost would be so high with the custom parts he was sure not enough people would commit.

Also he had no clue 3WW existed.

xrider
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I agree, you definitely have to pay for the quality. The +6 durablue staggered axle would be nice, but not necessary for the kit. You can always make up the offset with spacers or offset hubs. That's assuming you are just setting it up for flat track. For TT you wouldnt need it regardless. I would be curious to see what the price would be. I would possibly be interested in another kit myself if he changes the hubs.

He told me he would have to change the hubs. Also said he could talk to Douglas about making rims and would have to do a special order of +6 durablue's on one side.

His work is awesome. But u pay for the quality. I got a missile kit from him. Let me just say u can't be afraid to put up some pretty serious money for this stuff. We talked about the flat track kit but he said the cost would be so high with the custom parts he was sure not enough people would commit.

Vealmonkey
11-26-2012, 11:26 AM
I recognize those blue missle kit parts! LOL I would really enjoy having a flat track missle kit. Wonder how hard the hubs would be to adapt to a Tiger?

Xowner
11-26-2012, 11:29 AM

I can get the trophy wheels made i just need one to take measurements from

TatTooL23
11-26-2012, 12:32 PM
that would be very cool. i would love to do one of those builds.

looking at over 1k though. just to give people a little more of a real idea.

cavemanbob21
11-26-2012, 08:27 PM
so for a Grand or there abouts you'd get what exactly ? axle? conversion hubs? swingarm?

TatTooL23
11-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Oh I'm not sure about the flat track kit. I'm sure it would be pricey. Axle, hubs, nerd bar frame pieces, also rear strut that replaces the shock. Don't think it would come with a swing arm.

The BT250R missile kit is over a grand though.

KASEY
11-26-2012, 10:24 PM
a guy on org just got a 2 wheeler kit from these guys,, he paid and waited 4 MONTHS to get the kit and it was $1300 plus shipping,,,, just saying!!!

lucas1
11-27-2012, 12:25 AM
a guy on org just got a 2 wheeler kit from these guys,, he paid and waited 4 MONTHS to get the kit and it was $1300 plus shipping,,,, just saying!!!

1300 for parts to help me build a one of a kind ride its so worth it..does he make a 2 wheeler kit for a tri z

Tri-Z 250
11-27-2012, 12:25 AM
I was approched on intrest for a Tri-Z kit earlier this year...just not in my budget. Cool kit none the less but he wanted to produce the entire kit...not, this or that. Not practial for me...maybe if oval flat surface become more popular in Ohio I'd consider it. I don't believe the price is outrageous theres a lot of time plus materials involved. The end result is exactly what you want in flat surface racing, I believe.

As far as I know the idea of a group Zmissle kit failed to stur up enough interest to create a run of them. I believe the goal was around 5kits.

Thanks for posting up Crazy, I didn't want to drop your name if you weren't still trying to get the ball rolling.

KASEY
11-27-2012, 02:05 AM
1300 for parts to help me build a one of a kind ride its so worth it..does he make a 2 wheeler kit for a tri z

i believe only a 250r kit

200X FT
11-27-2012, 10:14 PM
How about this. Instead of the entire flattrack kit, what about just some individual parts. Lets say, the rear struts, the nerf bars, and the front hubs. Any possibility to get a group order on some of the individual parts? If you need the rear hubs for the go kart wheels, I believe jsmay???( sorry, forgot the rest of your username and i hope your all healed up) can make some. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

CRAZY70MAN
11-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I have spoken with John at missile about the kits. It still is highly possible to have a run of them done providing we get at least 6-8.....hopefully 10 serious people to buy the entire package for either the 250r or the tri z. I know we have around 4-5 for sure that I could trust as of right now. These will not be cheap keep in mind I am sure. I will be talking to him later and will try and get a price for a complete flat track package and possible some per piece orders if he would agree to but if not, I will not push the issue and it will be the entire kit or nothing. PM me if you are absolutely serious about this deal and we can get the ball rolling with some numbers to throw at him. Thanks. I will try and post up info as I get it.

cavemanbob21
11-28-2012, 10:49 AM
would it be possible to get a 350x one made up? i seen in those pics there was a TRIZ an 250R a 350X and a 200x otherwise i might be interested in a Tri Z one

CRAZY70MAN
11-28-2012, 11:44 AM
would it be possible to get a 350x one made up? i seen in those pics there was a TRIZ an 250R a 350X and a 200x otherwise i might be interested in a Tri Z one

Possibly if we got 5 committed buyers with funds in hand. I just spoke with him this morning and emailed him a list that we were interested in price wise. He said he would make the rear hubs per piece. To make it easy on him, I kept it simple and told him to quote the price on a minimum of a 10 piece order example...5 rear sets of tri-z hubs......10 lowering struts......10 front wheels etc... He sounded pretty upbeat about it all. I have spoken with xowner about getting a hold of a trophy wheel for these hubs to possibly have them re popped. I will start another post for this when I get some exact numbers and prices from John. We will go from there.

Tri-Z 250
11-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Good enough buddy! Sounds promising for the peice order for those not interested in nerfs but a possible way to get nerfs without getting the kit. Winning!

xrider
11-28-2012, 01:20 PM
I would be up for another set of hubs and a shock strut. I have wheel halves at my garage that could be repopped. Just havent been up there in a while to grab them.

Possibly if we got 5 committed buyers with funds in hand. I just spoke with him this morning and emailed him a list that we were interested in price wise. He said he would make the rear hubs per piece. To make it easy on him, I kept it simple and told him to quote the price on a minimum of a 10 piece order example...5 rear sets of tri-z hubs......10 lowering struts......10 front wheels etc... He sounded pretty upbeat about it all. I have spoken with xowner about getting a hold of a trophy wheel for these hubs to possibly have them re popped. I will start another post for this when I get some exact numbers and prices from John. We will go from there.

CRAZY70MAN
11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I would be up for another set of hubs and a shock strut. I have wheel halves at my garage that could be repopped. Just havent been up there in a while to grab them. Hey Matt glad you chimed in!! Could you PM Xowner and work out a way to get him those wheel halves?? We really will need to get those made if this all works out. Thanks, Andy

cavemanbob21
11-28-2012, 08:27 PM
I really happy how far this has all come. i dont have a grand to spend at the moment but hey were not into buying anything yet either ;)

bkm
11-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Since I am converting my Tecate to 4/110 rear hubs, I would be interested in a set of rear 250r wheel hubs if he would do them separate. A front Tecate hub would be cool also, but I'm sure that would be out of the question.

CRAZY70MAN
11-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Since I am converting my Tecate to 4/110 rear hubs, I would be interested in a set of rear 250r wheel hubs if he would do them separate. A front Tecate hub would be cool also, but I'm sure that would be out of the question.

John mentioned he never built the kits for the Tecate, but he did say it could still be done. I personally thought that to be cool. That would spark some interest I am sure. I will have a order list if this pans out on another thread. Great to see all of the interest. Have not had a response back yet from him. I will keep you guys up to date for sure.

bkm
11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
That would be very cool except for the $$ part for the whole kit. The rear hubs seem to be the hardest part of the kit to fab up for the average guy. I have an idea in mind for all the spare 84-85 tecate parts I have laying around. I think a little flat tracker would be cool and I have a set of old school pink maier low-pro's looking for a home.

I doubt he would do a single front Tecate hub, but if he would I would like a front and the rear 250r hubs.

Thanks for doing the leg work on this.

xrider
12-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Hey Andy,

I'll be at my garage this coming weekend I'll grab a couple different sized wheel halves and bring them back for Xowner.

Hey Matt glad you chimed in!! Could you PM Xowner and work out a way to get him those wheel halves?? We really will need to get those made if this all works out. Thanks, Andy

Bryan Raffa
12-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Cant wait to go to Iowa and run some coke syrup races!!! I know there's 5 committed to TRI-Z!:naughty:

CRAZY70MAN
12-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Cant wait to go to Iowa and run some coke syrup races!!! I know there's 5 committed to TRI-Z!:naughty:

Jan. 25th!! I am in if you wanna git it!! No way I could go out there and just watch dude........no freakin' way!! I am 1 of the 5 bro!! Get your wallet out Raffa!!!

bkm
12-03-2012, 05:29 AM
Any word on just being able to buy the hub's? Sorry for being a pest!

TatTooL23
12-03-2012, 07:31 AM
I would be interested in a 250r set up

CRAZY70MAN
12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I would be interested in a 250r set up Emailed John again today. No word yet on prices. It may be a while before he gets some definite prices. I am working on it fellas. Don't want to force the issue if he is busy. Treading lightly. Keep checkin in.

atc300r
12-04-2012, 01:32 PM
A member here and on a couple other trike sites machined down a 200x hub to fit an 8 inch rim. This could posibly work for a hub setup like the missle.I think they run 8 inch front rims. Heres some pics of his work.158877 158878 158879 158880

atc300r
12-04-2012, 01:38 PM
The only thing with this one he did is he machined off the disc mounting holes . But Im shure it can be machined without removing the disc mounting holes.

lucas1
12-05-2012, 07:35 PM
i have no need for the flat track kit but i would like a BT250 kit for the tri z if possible if not the honda kit will do..

Bryan Raffa
12-05-2012, 10:27 PM
this buy is for a tri z missle kit.... everything else..is up to you,, he never made a 2wheeled big wheel tri z kit...

CRAZY70MAN
12-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Got some encouraging news today!! I emailed John at missile a few times and he contacted me. He says he is rounding up all of the old tooling and seeing what is there and not there and what he has to fix or replace before he can give me quotes. :lock::lock: I let him know there is a lot of excitement brewing over this and told him thans again for attempting this for us. Man I hope it all works out. I will keep you all posted......:Bounce

Bryan Raffa
12-13-2012, 08:22 AM
SUPER FREAKIN STOKED! Now Ill have something to put my Calfab on!!!YAMAHONDAMAN

atc300r
12-13-2012, 11:45 AM
i have no need for the flat track kit but i would like a BT250 kit for the tri z if possible if not the honda kit will do.. There was a pic of a Tri-Z 2 wheeler in Dirt Wheeles years ago and the owner used a BW swingarm .It looked factory made.

80's atcdude
12-15-2012, 02:09 PM
I have seen the missile kits for the 250R's in the past. What different models trikes beside the 250R did they actually make to convert into two wheeler. Did they use to have one for the Honda ATC200X and 350X. Does anyone have good pictures of the conversion process and the pieces needed to do a conversion. I like the idea of converting a 200x over to a two wheeler, They are easier to come by and at better prices over buying a used 250R anymore.

CRAZY70MAN
12-17-2012, 11:46 AM
250r was the only kit offered in the info I got.

cavemanbob21
12-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Any new news ?

CRAZY70MAN
12-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Any new news ? Nope???? Gonna bug him after the holidays...........sure is taking a while but I ain't givin' up. lol.....

xrider
01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Any of you boys making it to the Battle at the Barn next weekend? Just got my 200x converted over to the missle kit.

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/zwaylo/20130119_165511.jpg
http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/zwaylo/20130119_131515.jpg
http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/zwaylo/20130119_165634.jpg

Vealmonkey
01-19-2013, 10:21 PM
That trike is so damn sexy. Why do you keep teasing me so?????

xrider
01-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Lol. I'm going to keep the missle kit on it for good now. Gonna make this one my dedicated flat tracker. Soon as I get back from the race. I will be painting the nerf bar and strut white.

Buster Brown
01-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Very cool stuff! Might be in for a kit if there is enough interest to get 'em made. Iowa is close....hmmm??

TatTooL23
01-20-2013, 01:36 AM
Lol. I'm going to keep the missle kit on it for good now. Gonna make this one my dedicated flat tracker. Soon as I get back from the race. I will be painting the nerf bar and strut white.

So awesome man! But please don't just paint that nerf bar or brace. If u bump somebody once it will chip. Send it me and I'll powder coat them for u!!!

stroberts22
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Your not going to mx race it in the 200x class no more?

CRAZY70MAN
01-20-2013, 11:27 AM
I would Matt if I had a kit? Still no word from Mr. Kite????? Just about ready to have my own made. Never thought it would be this hard to get someone to make a few parts??? That 200x looks badarss!!!!

CRAZY70MAN
01-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Tiny update.... beacon of hope? I emaild John again and asked about the progress. He said he has not yet got the pricing list figured yet but hopes to shortly. Some news is better than no news huh??

oile
02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
If you get this going is be interested in a complete Tri z kit

CRAZY70MAN
02-06-2013, 09:29 PM
I am trying. Have spent a lot of time and effort trying to make this happen. Keep checkin' in....

CRAZY70MAN
02-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Emailed John at Missile agai. He apologized about this taking so long as he has been swamped with snow projects this winter and getting bikes ready for Daytona. Some of the actual tooling and parts are in storage also. He said he has not forgot.....bear with him and for me to keep bugging him, which you know I will! Good news for the moment.....

xrider
02-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Good to hear. I am dropping off the wheel halves to jonathan tomorrow for reproduction.

CRAZY70MAN
02-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Good to hear. I am dropping off the wheel halves to jonathan tomorrow for reproduction.

Ya Matt...Jonathan and I spoke yeaterday and he's got the backup plan for sure.I think one way or the other....this will happen........ whether it be the original stuff or someone else making it......

cavemanbob21
03-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Any new news on this lately?

CRAZY70MAN
03-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Nope......I will send another email though. I have not yet given up................I will keep ya posted.

Bryan Raffa
03-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Nope......I will send another email though. I have not yet given up................I will keep ya posted.

at this point lets just copy the crap and make it!.... his loss...tired of waiting... thanks for the tri z missle nerf on ebay .. thats missing parts:lol:... I got a idea NOW!

CRAZY70MAN
03-05-2013, 09:18 PM
at this point lets just copy the crap and make it!.... his loss...tired of waiting... thanks for the tri z missle nerf on ebay .. thats missing parts:lol:... I got a idea NOW!

I sent another email Bryan. I am all ears on anyone that wants to make any of the parts....I don't care where they come from. I really do not think he is interested. I may buy that ebay stuff just to get some ideas?????I will give ya a call later this week.

Bryan Raffa
03-05-2013, 09:24 PM
do it ..we can get the die for my pipe bender and make a weekend out of it... make 50 sets! if anything we make our prototypes..:naughty: obviously. he dont wanna do it ... when you e mail him see if he wants to sell the triz jigs .. or he loses x2

oile
03-06-2013, 02:59 AM
You guys bidding on those parts on eBay? If so I'll stop bidding it up.

oile
03-06-2013, 04:46 AM
I guess I'm the high bidder and also have a few bucks on them also that I can't retract so if I win it I'll let you guys borrow the pieces.

CRAZY70MAN
03-06-2013, 06:24 AM
I guess I'm the high bidder and also have a few bucks on them also that I can't retract so if I win it I'll let you guys borrow the pieces.

That would be sweet!! Hope ya win. That is a bit steep for me at this time.............good luck

CRAZY70MAN
04-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Well...sent Mr. Kite another email. Here was the response

"Yes I can build those parts, but right now I'm extremely busy with the seasons change will be a little while before I can do anything. I need to find all the tooling and welding fixtures they been in storage for a while. Thanks for the interest."
, John

I guess there may still be a shot at the real stuff someday? Waiting game at this point. Stay tuned.....

Bryan Raffa
04-24-2013, 08:10 PM
forward to 6 months from now....

"Yes I can build those parts, but right now I'm extremely busy with the seasons change will be a little while before I can do anything. I need to find all the tooling and welding fixtures they been in storage for a while. Thanks for the interest."
, John

trr

CRAZY70MAN
04-25-2013, 05:44 AM
^^^ lol.......I here ya.

oile
05-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Bump have you heard anything yet

CRAZY70MAN
05-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Nope...............nothin........... I will post it if I do.....

oile
08-28-2013, 01:03 AM
Bump Bump Bump

CRAZY70MAN
08-28-2013, 09:05 PM
forward to 6 months from now....

, John

trr

Lmao!!!! Almost 6 months.... no answer. I tried another email tonight. Raffa was right.........

Marty
08-29-2013, 03:29 PM
176298176299176300Those are cool bikes I sure am happy I got mine. Original owner gave me all receipts from 1987 when he did conversion

CRAZY70MAN
08-29-2013, 05:17 PM
We are trying to get missile lowering kits for the 3 wheelers Marty....not ^^^^ although I want one of those a well, nice!! Update... Mr. Kite responded and said when do you want the parts and what ones do you want!! I asked him for some prices for entire kits, and by the piece for tri z,250r and the 350x. If anyone is seriously interested in this after I get the prices from him, you better have the money ready. After and if he gives us some prices....I will get a count on who wants what........ I think this may pan out finally....

oile
08-29-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm in for parts for the Tri z

atc300r
08-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Im going to try and build my own .Iv got a front tire/rim in the works for a 1st gen 250r and a good idea for a 2nd gen front.Im not sure on the front tire.The rims are 10x5.with a Blaster front bolt pattern.For the 2nd gen front Im going to have either the 83-84 front hub machined to fit or maybe a 3rd gen front hub.For the rear I saw and article on one of the trike site about using gocart axles machined to fit a threewheeler axle.176328 176329 176330 176331 176332

oile
09-16-2013, 03:12 PM
have you heard anything yet on the kit?