PDA

View Full Version : Ring gear help

Arbiter
11-20-2012, 12:12 AM
I have a 1986 Honda act 250es and I have 2 ring gears, one with the inner splines ruined and the other with a few teeth missing. I was wandering can I have the middle pressed out and replace it with the other one? Because they look like the middle can come out.

just ben
11-20-2012, 12:26 AM
I don't know but it doesn't sound like you have much to lose trying.

Arbiter
11-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Yeah, that's how I was looking at it.

Flyingw
11-20-2012, 12:33 AM
middle? there is a ring gear (large gear) and the pinion gear/shaft (small gear). Are you referring to the pinion? if so, not without special tools will it come apart. The ring and pinion gears are typically replaced together as a set due to wear patterns. If the ring and pinion gears are both damaged then the diff is trashed. I have the tools to rebuild the diffs. I have an ES diff I'm getting ready to rebuild. $275.00. Cleaned, bead blasted, new bearings and seals. You can get one off ebay but chances are it will need to be rebuilt too. I'm offering up options. Without the diff, you got a big red paper weight. Let me know if I can help.

Gearheadtom
11-20-2012, 03:01 PM
middle? there is a ring gear (large gear) and the pinion gear/shaft (small gear). Are you referring to the pinion? if so, not without special tools will it come apart. The ring and pinion gears are typically replaced together as a set due to wear patterns. If the ring and pinion gears are both damaged then the diff is trashed. I have the tools to rebuild the diffs. I have an ES diff I'm getting ready to rebuild. $275.00. Cleaned, bead blasted, new bearings and seals. You can get one off ebay but chances are it will need to be rebuilt too. I'm offering up options. Without the diff, you got a big red paper weight. Let me know if I can help.

I think he means the middle of the ring gear. He wants to know if you can press the ring gear apart and combine two ring gears to make one good one.

Howdy
11-20-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't think they come apart. I have never tried it being as I have a few Good used units ( I will part with them ).
Howdy

Arbiter
11-20-2012, 07:47 PM
It did. I just had to heat it up a bit.