PDA

View Full Version : Airfooler Carb Tune

Mack
11-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Hey guys,

Finally got my 84 R out for the first time in about a month. fouled the plug before I even put it in gear. Changed the plug and rode for 15 minutes or so. The throttle response was a little on the weak side from about 3/8 lol to full throttle. I ran a plug chop and it read lean (pretty close to white). I am running the stock PE30 carb with stock jets (50 slow, 130 main, and needle clip middle). I jetted the main up to a 138 because thats all I have until tuesday when the honda shop opens up. Unfortunately I fouled the plug trying to start it up.

The reason Im giving all of this info is because I'm assuming my slow jet, even though its stock is too big and is causing me to foul plugs. My air screw is also backed out about 1 1/2 turns more than the manuals specs. I would like to gather some opinions on my assumption as well as hear some feedback on what size jets others are running on there 84R's.

Thanks, Mack

HondaRidr
11-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Is the engine and pIpe stock? You should be able to run the air scew at about 1 1/2 turns out if the pilot jet is right.

Mack
11-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes the bike is completely stock. I basically just adjust the aircrew back and forth waiting 15 or 20 seconds between quarter turn until it idles at its highest and a full stab of the throttle idles down quick and smooth without pulsing down. that happens to be about 2 3/4 turns out, today at least. I've fouled 3 plugs today though messin with it and it always occurs the farther in I go. Smaller Pilot?

Jason125m
11-18-2012, 05:01 PM
How do you foul a plug from running lean. Are you sure your plug is white? Carbon fouls plugs from being rich.

Mack
11-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Now down to my last pug til tuesday but the 138 is reading black but not wet on the plug chop so I think I need a 135 and that jet will be solved. Its also giving much better response than the 130 with a very slight sputter when WOT.

Mack
11-18-2012, 05:10 PM
How do you foul a plug from running lean. Are you sure your plug is white? Carbon fouls plugs from being rich.

I was running lean on the main hence White on the plug chop at WOT. That problem is now solved with the 138. I'm fouling plugs during start up and idle. Thats why I'm assuming my pilot is to big even though its the factory recommended size for my carb and setup. Seems wierd though that a factory pilot would be rich enough to foul 3 plugs, thats why im asking.

Yamaha_Rules69
11-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Please tell me your not running champion plugs... If so, switch to NGK. The Champions just dont do good in these machines for some reason. There are a lot of people who think they know the correct way to do a plug chop, but it is not correct. Google search it will tell you how to do it. I guess you need at least 2 plugs to do the chop, and one must be brand new.

Mack
11-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Im running NGK br9es. Plug chop with new plug white with 130 main WOT, black with 138 new plug. like I said, I fouled 3 today while idling, Not giving it any throttle. I let idle for a minute or so, It bogged out and wouldn't start back up until I put a new plug in. plugs were black and oily and wouldn't even begin to fire. When I put a new one in, fired up and immediately took off riding it ran fine and I was able to perform plug chops regarding the main jet. I am performing plug chops the correct way. At this point my main jet issue is resolved and I'm on to why I'm fouling plugs at idle.

I read through the jetting thread over at airfoolers and it seems a lot of guys are running smaller than stock pilots in stock and larger than stock carbs. Any insight will be appreciated.

82 250r
11-18-2012, 11:28 PM
If the trike ran well before, then the carb is not likely the problem. I would pull the stator cover and look for water or rust on the flywheel.
You are probably not fouling plugs. Sounds like weak spark. Try a BR8ES plug... gap at .28... It's a little hotter... That's what the manual calls for anyway.

You may want to do a compression check. Low compression can act like an out of tune carb as well.

When was the last rebuild?

Marc

Mack
11-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Its never been rebuilt. Bought it from the original owner about 4 months ago completely stock. He was running a 120 main jet in it when the manual calls for a 130 and a weird plug id never heard of (split fire with a huge gap). It really lacked power on the top end so after switching to the ngk br9es which honda recommends for 84's, I've just been going up in main jet sizes and have gained that top end power with each increase in size. Assuming my compression gauge is correct, Im reading 180 psi which is high according to the book but all in all it runs great even idles great but if I idle for too long it just dies out and won't start until I put a new plug in. My mag case is dry as a bone and clean with no signs of rust. I know two strokes are meant to rev high and not putt around but should it really foul out at idle? I will try a BR8ES I happen to have one laying around. Thanks man