PDA

View Full Version : Another aircooled winter project!!!

BLAZERONE22
12-04-2003, 12:28 AM
Well I got it home tonight. took a little night ride. I missed having a 2 stroke around, so I struck a deal with a guy, I traded a 200s for a 84 250r.
It has the 300 kit in it. Rips around pretty good, I'm going to need to find a answer silencer for it. its got something rigged up to it now. Rear bearings need to be replaced. but other than thats seems okay. I'm gonna take it out for a ride this weekend then start tearing it down for a resto. Oh I saw a 300 piston on ebay tonight if anybody's interested.

Crash104936221
12-04-2003, 12:33 AM
looks like the plastic was cut off? or my eyes trickin me?

anyways nice snag!
Joe

motoman1012002
12-04-2003, 12:39 AM
or thats a old fmf system on it

BLAZERONE22
12-04-2003, 12:41 AM
yeah the plastic is toast! Its going to need a few things. I might powdercoat the frame. I'm not sure yet. I might make it my sand bike since I got rid of the Red 350x.

350Xccelerator
12-04-2003, 01:09 AM
cant wait to see it done man, you always make regular trikes look awesome, good luck!

Darius1502
12-04-2003, 01:27 AM
sweet!!!

:Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug :Beerchug

jeswinehart
12-04-2003, 06:09 AM
lets see,,,i have a air cooled r project started,,, so do nuttyberzerco,,,
trikeaholic just got one completed,,, your getting underway with one,,,
interesting.

BLAZERONE22, you gonna go with stock colours ? i'm still undecided about if i want to do stock or custom colours. there's just alot of red on the stock one's ,,,

john

ScottZJ
12-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Dont forget me....lol I bought an 83 250r that needs the engine installed but thats about it. It has the hot rod kit on it.......peace

ejc042
12-04-2003, 09:17 AM
My 84 250R was my riding trike, but she quit running last nite. Now she may turn into a winter project.

BLAZERONE22
12-04-2003, 10:51 AM
John I'm thinking about going with black plastic and staying with the gold rims. Maybe a silver frame.

J.D.
12-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Looks like a pretty good trade Blazer!

Psyonyde
12-04-2003, 11:22 AM
200s for a 250r?? :shock: how come I never find these deals....

mike from long island
12-04-2003, 08:38 PM
dont forget about me and my 83 250r that i am starting on lol thanks to trikeaholic. pretty much saved this bike from being parted out

BLAZERONE22
12-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Let the aircooled parts sniping begin on ebay!!!!!!!! Anybody have a factory silencer they want to part with. I'm going to hold out on the exhaust. I've seen a setup I want hopefully one will showup one day. I don't want to settle for a DG setup. Best price for fenders I've found is at JL Lucky enterprizes.

plumber
12-04-2003, 08:47 PM
must be something in the air. I drove to Quincy IL and bought an 83R from cjoe22 its my winter project also.good luck everyone

Xowner
12-04-2003, 09:04 PM
i have maier plastic off of a 1982 250R also have so other parts from a 82 i parted out i think i have stock exhaust off of it if it will work blazzer

BLAZERONE22
12-04-2003, 09:09 PM
I think the 82 frames are different. My brother has a 82 though I'll ask him if he want them.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-04-2003, 09:26 PM
yes, the 81/82, 83/84 exhaust are different, ............ What is with this....as soon as i get rid of mine, 234823328 people get into them, ahaha, all you bastards making me miss it!! hahaha :D , thats alright, got the 85 now.

ScottZJ
12-04-2003, 09:30 PM
I got an FMF pipe that looks to be in great shape. I didnt even know they made them for the 83-84 R's but I guess they do.

BLAZERONE22
12-04-2003, 09:48 PM
I found this one on ebay. its listed as a 85-86 250r silencer but it looks to me its for the aircooled R. what do you guys think?

ScottZJ
12-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Well the mounting tabs look the same but the bend in the pipe is alittle different. Not sure about that.

84250r
12-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Looks like it will be a good project! Can't wait to see what it looks like when finished.

jeswinehart
12-05-2003, 08:49 AM
i need a stock header. the one i have don't have any places for a heat sheild to mount to so i reckon it's after market.
i put in a couple of bids on 2 that just closed out on ebay but didn't win them. thats okay cuz i picked a price and well,,, it wasn't enough.
gonna pm 84ATC250r and see if he has a stock header w/sheild he wants to part with.
mike from long island and ScottZJ and ejc042 and plumber too ,,,, wow. i might not reconize some of your ebay names but let me know if i bid on something you have a bid on if you would please.
plumber, been along time since i've seen any of cjoe22's posting,,,

okay,,, gonna see if i can get onto that jl lucky site for plastic,,, thanks blazer.

john

ScottZJ
12-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey I have a stock head pipe with heat shield for you. The only problem is it needs to be blown out due to rust inside. You can hear some of it rattling inside of the pipe. The exterior is in pretty good shape other than the dent coming out of the head. I can get some closer pics up if you want..........peace

jeswinehart
12-05-2003, 06:55 PM
yeah, that would be great ScottZJ,,, you can send right to jeswinehart@hotmail.com so you won't hafta resize them. the dent + screws holding guard on in particular please,,, 84ATC250r didn't have one but thinks he knows where to get ahold of one ( maybe ) so that would be great scott ( thanks )
here is a picture a co-worker brought in to me. he fixed up this 84 sevral years ago and then sold it. i really like the heat sheild being a stand out red rather same as header ( black ) i'll copy that idea for sure.

john

BLAZERONE22
12-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Here's a pic of the old aircooled I used to have and should of kept. that bike was a blast to ride and I never had any problems with it. The front fender is the 85-86 250r that bolts right up. I think the plastic was the non shiny that maier used to make. the only mods done were a k&n filter a answer silencer with spark arrester and a 85 250r carb. here's a link to prm on some 250r stuff http://prm-atv.com/mn.asp?pg=products&grp=38&mfr=2 .3wheelerworldforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=13588

jeswinehart
12-06-2003, 06:58 PM
i like the newer fender too BLAZERONE22. once you point it out i got to checking the difference in style + price ,,, it's a much better choice.

looks like i won't be making a rear skidplate afterall ,,,,

http//cgi.msn.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=35591&item=2445935997

it should sand blast up and take a paint okay.

john

BLAZERONE22
12-06-2003, 07:04 PM
I saw that also, I did'nt even think about sniping you on that one. I ordered my fenders today. inland atv owed me some cash, you I took advantage of that. Now I have to wait for the rear carrier. I should of went riding this morning, I did'nt think the weather would hold out.

350Xccelerator
12-06-2003, 07:09 PM
BLAZER, are you gonna put a 85-86 250r front fender on the new project?

BLAZERONE22
12-06-2003, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I'm going to go with 85-86 black front fender, black rear and a white tank. I have'nt made up my mind yet if I want to tear it all the way down yet and paint the frame and swinger. I probally will though.

jeswinehart
12-06-2003, 07:31 PM
yep, me too. black fenders front + rear,,, gold frame. black metal flake tank w'custom lettering. got the motor ready to take to work to sand blast monday ( it's gonna be gloss black too )
i am a thinking the seat if all black will be too much so probbly gonna do a custom black/ gold with gold letter embroadery.

john

BLAZERONE22
12-06-2003, 07:45 PM
A painter at work is going to paint my tank white. I'm going to have to think on the seat cover. I do need a rear brake line though if anybody has one.

BLAZERONE22
12-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Well I thought I was going to have the whole bike tore down to the frame in a hour today. going along until it was time to pull the dreaded swingarm bolt. I'm asuming the swingarm has to come out before the motor does? I did'nt want to thump on it to hard sinece the motor was right there. I guess I'll bring some gas home tommrow and heat it up. Oh, I won a 40 inch axle on ebay today, sorry Holic, And I bid on those forkguards the other day since my watchlist was full, turns out I won them. If anybody wants them let me know. I'm going black and won't use them. Anybody have any other ideas on getting that swingarm bolt out?????

BLAZERONE22
12-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Well guys I might be parting out the 250r aircooled project. I found a 86 250r and my wife won't let me touch the checkbook. I'm going to hold off until monday to make up my mind on what to do. Should just return all the kids gifts and go buy that R. So I may have a bunch of parts for you guys building up the aircooleds. I've ordered a few new things also. What to do?

Xowner
12-12-2003, 09:27 PM
no you should tell me were it is and let me buy it

:D

ScottZJ
12-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Yeah Blazer I am right with ya. I am thinking the best bet is to part mine out too. I hate to do it to an almost running trike.

Trikeaholic
12-12-2003, 10:39 PM
hear that bubble burst?? most guys wont give a dime for pre holy 85-86 parts. For example: I was the ONLY bidder on a mint set of footpegs for $5. I had to list my extended swingarm twice, to get what I needed to get for it and how many extended swingarms have you ever seen for a free air R?? And how about mike from LI offering parts off his roller for months and finally deciding to just get it running. Oh, and for what its worth, Im not real crazy about some of the wacky color schemes you fellas are kicking around.............................

BLAZERONE22
12-12-2003, 11:19 PM
hear that bubble burst?? most guys wont give a dime for pre holy 85-86 parts. For example: I was the ONLY bidder on a mint set of footpegs for $5. I had to list my extended swingarm twice, to get what I needed to get for it and how many extended swingarms have you ever seen for a free air R?? And how about mike from LI offering parts off his roller for months and finally deciding to just get it running. Oh, and for what its worth, Im not real crazy about some of the wacky color schemes you fellas are kicking around.............................

So what are you trying to say there Holic?

350XXX
12-12-2003, 11:57 PM
must be something in the air, i'm buying an 81 or 82 R from a guy at work in pieces that needs a total rebuild CHEAP. been in pieces for several years. it is also in need of a swingarm assembly.

Trikeaholic
12-12-2003, 11:58 PM
Im saying that parts for these bikes dont go for enough money to buy a cup of coffee, usually. Certainly not enough to finance the purchase of the holy grail (85-86 model) that all.

But if you must persist, black and gold?? BLECCCHHH. just one mans opinion, probably not worth crap. HOWEVER, if one was looking to sell a vehicle in such "unusual" colors, I would have to think twice about doing it in some odd color scheme. If it was a keeper bike, then hell, paint it pink with polka-dots, whatever floats your boat. Also, I have watched the egay prices of some pretty clean air cooled models. The auction performance is less that yawn factor. Real nice machines barley bring a grand, and one time there was an 82 all original, with vintage DG everything, head, pipe, boost bottle, screened plates, flat track rubber, all the goodies-one bid for $500. I wish it was nearer to me, I would have given $500 in a heart beat. I guess the point is, NOBODY WANTS A FREE AIR and that is SAD. A forgotten and passed over machine. Not to me, but to the rest of the off road community, it is an unfortunate FACT. So, the point is, I doubt parting one out will be as profitable as having a nice example sitting around to blast around on from time to time. I would like to buy your motor if your selling though, Blazer. :D

BLAZERONE22
12-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Much better explaination. Thats what I'm kicking around this weekend, is it worth selling the bike as parts or keep it and make it my polka dot bike to have and be proud of. I really like the old aircooled R's I should of never sold my old one. I agree that there is not much of a market on the old aircooleds but if I restored this bike the way I want to I think I'd end up keeping it like my 350x forever and not sell it when a 85-86 came along.

ScottZJ
12-13-2003, 04:10 AM
Well you know what I say.....you do what you want and dont listen to anyone else. Opinions are of a great deal around here and no one knows whats correct or not. So sell what you may and if you make out thats great if not oh well. Good luck to you in the future........peace

jeswinehart
12-13-2003, 07:59 AM
what a geart thing to read first thing in the morning ,,, lmao !
( @ Trikeaholic ,,, lol ) you just can't beat a mans honest opinion !

most all this week in my travels i kept thinking i'll see a air cooled sitting some where to get for parts ,,, well not yet anyway. got it in my head that one good roller is gonna get 2 or 3 machines going.
i don't need much of anything but sure want to help out the brothers.

did i mention i am gonna go with black and silver colour sceam now ?
( gonna sand blast the motor today + buff to mirror finish sunday )
okay fella's ,,, remember, these restores are some thing we want to do for a winter project ( fun ) and not something we gotta do.

john