PDA

View Full Version : 200X brakes are toast- good upgrade?

Xpress
11-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Basically.. My brakes are toast. Rear brake requires an ungodly amount of downforce to get it to work, and the front I'm basically pulling the handle all the way to the bars with my gorilla like strength to get it to stop fast.

Since I'd rather upgrade and go with something newer and better, is there anything that will bolt in place? The calipers themselves seem to be fine (aside from needing new pads), the MC's are probably ready to become paper weights.

I've already bled both hydro's, put fresh fluid in both. The reservoirs are oxidized and cracking on the outside, time for new ones. Rotors probably need to be resurfaced or replaced.

Suggestions for better components though?

midsouthtrikes
11-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Looks like time to rebuild or replace components. I just had to rebuild the rear master cylinder on one of mine, now it works good as new.

Scootertrash
11-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Try this thread for a start ;)

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/65970-brake-caliper-swaps-for-83-85-200x-s

fabiodriven
11-14-2012, 09:22 AM
You can use any master cylinder you can mount. Obviously the front will be easy. I don't know the availability for new MC's for the rear, so that's up to you to find out. If new ones aren't available for the rear you may have to do a little fabbing to get one on there.

I've never had a bike/trike rotor re-surfaced, but I know it can be done. You could either do that or just get new ones. Again, I don't know the availability of those either.

As far as upgrading, I don't see the need. You can do a stoppie with the front brakes on those stock and the rears lock up like nothing, so what more do you need? Rebuild the system and you'll be good to go IMO.

Xpress
11-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to get to buying and doing some sanding on the rotors. I have yet to feel this stoppie power on my 200x :lol:

RapidRick
11-14-2012, 10:38 PM
As far as upgrading, I don't see the need. You can do a stoppie with the front brakes on those stock and the rears lock up like nothing, so what more do you need? Rebuild the system and you'll be good to go IMO.

X2

Lightly wire brush the rotors or be very careful sanding, the rotors need to be true or it will feel like they're surging.

I've rebuilt several front and rear calipers and when working properly the braking power will exceed the tire's adhesion to the riding surface.

Oh and Fabio, what's with your location, couldn't you find something better. :(

Dirtcrasher
11-17-2012, 05:52 PM
I agree, do not sand them. They can be reground if needed, but we have 10,000 rotors out there.

I used a 450R master on my 350X; Always a bit of fabrication to do if you have the means to do so.

And then snag a MX front master: I would rebuild the rear caliper and I INSIST you get 2 new stainless braided lines. That old line swells rather than force fluid into the caliper.