PDA

View Full Version : Wiring dual aftermarket lights for the Z??

badass350x
11-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Anybody have any info on how to wire dual headlights single element bulbs to the tri-z wiring harness? I can get one to work which is pretty strait forward with the bike running but doing the other the same way is not happening,, I have tried every which way and nothing, If I take a jumper box and ground the two lights together and attach the hot they will both work with the bike off of course!!! What Im I missing?? I had the lighting coil built to handle the two 55w bulbs so not a problem there!!! Any help would be great..

Thanks Dean

Xpress
11-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Wire them in Parallel, meaning the Positive to the Positive, and the Ground to the Ground. If the lights don't light up bright, or at all, then you don't have enough power to drive them.

El Camexican
11-14-2012, 01:14 AM
I think that was how I did mine (Xpress) because I used the stock connectors. However only one of the settings (hi/low) works. Have you tried both?

badass350x
11-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Xpress, parallel is the first way I tried them, as soon as you ground the second light it shuts down the first light! So maybe theres not enough power to run them, second way I did it was grounding both light together then both hot into one lead and one main hot wire, then it does nothing but spark when trying to ground them to the chassis.

Camexican, I have only tried on low beam as I figured it was either or since it was only a single element, I guess I could try the high side just in case!! Thanks guys..

El Camexican
11-14-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm 99% sure I wired mine like you have and I know only one switch setting works. Try that before you give up (I'd fire mine to test it, but the trike is stuff in the back of the shop, sorry)

Xpress
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
It may be wired so that you get one lamp for low beam, then both lamps for high beam.

badass350x
11-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Will definitely give it a shot guys, thanks for the input!