PDA

View Full Version : 85 honda 250es choke cable

rttuck21
11-13-2012, 03:18 AM
Hey yall, on my 85 big red 250 the choke cable is junk and all the parts to it on the bottom of the headlight switch are broke and missing, It isnt the most important thing to fix but its now a kick start only ride, starter bad, solenoid bad, battery box gone, and my knee aint what it used to be so the less kicks the better; Is there any way to put a cable off something newer on there, one that has a pull knob on it like the ranchers and foremans have on them, I'm sure it has been done by someone, I dont have anything to borrow one from to see what will and wont work, I dont mind buying a cable or two to get it right but didnt want to buy a bunch of them at over 20 bucks a pop, Thank you

tri again
11-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Hey there.

I've seen them new on ebay which is kinda shocking.

The end that goes in the carb has a ball end and is pinched onto an internal plunger
so kinda different.

Anyway, I have one that's all busted up but the cable is sticking out of the cable sheath
by an inch or 2 and is easy to just pull.
They don't move very far to move that plunger to full enrichment.

Sometimes I'll rock the trike (violently) side to side to slosh gas in the carb,
kick it a couple times with the switch off and the next one will fire it right up.

It's also way easier for me to kick start mine standing on the ground,
facing backwards and kicking it with my right leg.

I've also just used a car battery and jumper cables direct to the starter.

Sure is nice when they start the right way, but we don't always have that luxury.

kb0nly
11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
That choke cable is easy enough to find on eBay, just do a quick search.

Dr ATV has them in stock as well.

http://dratv.com/ccaatbigredp.html