PDA

View Full Version : 87 Tecate three wheeler, need a little help here

OZQUAD44
12-03-2003, 10:06 PM
If the spark is dull when you test it, (small yellow spark, not strong blue one) would that indicate its time to rewire the stator or is there other problems i should be looking for? The stator looks in good condition!
It fouls plugs really often, won't idle once warmed up, and detonates/pings under heavy load on hot days. Otherwise it runs well, heaps of power, starts fairly easlily, still very fast.
What are the standard jets it came out with? I had it resleeved and was recommended to go up a jet size. But because there were no jets available we used a number drill to go up a size on the main so now i have no starting point for jetting.
Any help would be much appreciated, recommended jetting after a resleeve etc....

ange
12-03-2003, 11:10 PM
I'm dealing w/ the same issue. Weak spark. I can't even get mine started. My spark is blue... but it's very dull. My machine has very low hours on it so it should work...

I might buy a Moose stator kit (US $80) for the hell of it, just so i know it's working w/ full power. As long as your flywheel hasn't broken from a stator flying apart, you can bolt it in and wire it up. Pretty straight forward repair. You may want to give it a whirl if it's not too much of an invesment for you w/ the current exchange rates.

If you can't get them on the wrong side of the world ;) you can order them from up here:

http://www.denniskirk.com

If you just did a standard overbore, like .020 or something, that is a really small difference in piston diameter. You shouldn't have had to rejet unless you went radically over size. Don't know the stock jet size, but shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, try http://www.buykawasaki.com they have parts diagrams for the Tecates.

TeCaTe_MaN
12-04-2003, 12:07 AM
sounds like you guys got some similar problems...i experienced that when my stator quit on me...it still had a weak spark but it couldnt start/run so i needed to get it replaced, i would try and find a good stator and swap them and see if it is that

slippy4
12-04-2003, 12:10 AM
how good is your coil? stator may be good (manual should tell you how to test both of them)

atcmatt
12-04-2003, 12:23 AM
Where abouts in Australia are you from, Im from sydney :-D

Hope u get ure problem solved quickly.........

ange
12-04-2003, 12:49 AM
If someone can tell me what the measurment coming out of the coil should be(for an 84/85), I can test it w/ a multimeter.

I wonder about the stator though.... The lights seems to be hooked up correctly, and when you kick it w/ the light switch "ON", you dont get any illumination at all (and yes.. the bulbs are good :D ).

Until 'Holic gets back next week, and sends me the manual, I dont have access to the specs.

JMiller
12-04-2003, 01:51 AM
Use a mutimeter in the ohms position and take the following readings:
Terminal to ground= .08-1.2 ohms
Plug lead to ground =5.6-8.4 k ohms

This will let you know what shape your coil is in. :-D

OZQUAD44
12-05-2003, 07:42 AM
Looks like I've come to right place, If i talk about tecate's in OZ people haven't got a clue what I'm on about.

I live in Brisbane by the way.

Has anyone tried fitting KX motor-bike stator. I should be able to source one of those pretty easliy.

A while back I was looking at a Tecate site on the Web and it had an exelent explanation and Diagram on how to check the electrical system on a Tecate, but i can't remember which site it was. Have any of you guys see anything like it. I don't have a manual.

200x Basket
12-05-2003, 10:48 AM
i run a complete 88 kx ignition on my 86 kxt

OZQUAD44
12-07-2003, 10:14 PM
[Quote;i run a complete 88 kx ignition on my 86 kxt ]

How hard was that to fit and what parts did you use, did you keep any of the components from the original ignition system? does it have any troubles running?, different power curve for example.
I can get an 88 ignition system so that sounds like an exelent way to go.

200x Basket
12-08-2003, 12:36 AM
runs great. install it jsut like you would ont he kx250. you need the complete system