PDA

View Full Version : Honda 350x jetting problems

Yamaha_Rules69
11-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Hi guys, just finished up my 350x motor last weekend, and got to riding it today. I installed a 10.25:1 high compression piston, vesrah gasket kit, carb rebuild kit, had the head rebuilt and the cylinder bored, and installed a performance pipe. On the first ride (everyting on stock setting) it ran lean, cut out in mid range throttle, and popped badly on decel. I checked the plug and it was white. Next I installed a 145 main jet up from a 138 stock one, then lowered the needle clip to the lowest position, to make mid range richen up, and I have the pilot fuel screw turned out 3 turns, stock is 1 3/4.
At this spot there is no popping on decel, and mid range feels real strong, and top feels awesome to me, but after I did a plug chop at 1/2 throttle two or three different times, I get the same results - a white plug with just a slight amount of tan on it. I cant lower the needle clip any more, what do I do next, get a smaller jet needle? How do I know what size I need? Is this normal for this drastic mid range lean condition with these minor mods? I checked for leaks with the motor idleing, with carb spray around the intake manifold and head gasket, all is dry and no change with the spray. Let me know if you have any ideas on what to do next, and thanks!
Here is a pic of the X. I also have a set of red rear fenders, and a nice clean blue seat I have been contemplating on putting back on. Those are red lense covers over the headlights, I got it that way, and kinda liked the look, but the headlights dont shine worth a dam.

Jason125m
11-10-2012, 12:55 AM
You need to go bigger on your Pilot, more than likely.

Yamaha_Rules69
11-10-2012, 12:24 PM
But will going bigger on the pilot richen up the mid range? I forgot to mention I am running the stock airbox with lid on, and a UNI air filter.

Yamaha_Rules69
11-10-2012, 10:05 PM
I know not many guys like answering jetting questions online. There are so many variables, that sometimes its best to do what you think is best. I'll order a size smaller jet needle, and see what I get from it. Either that or everyone thinks my 350x is a POS, but while its not a showroom queen, it's mechanically sound and ready to go. I made sure of that.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-10-2012, 10:13 PM
One thing to remember, there is a degree of overlap as the carb transitions from one fuel circuit to the next.

I would definitely richen the pilot jet at least one size, probably two.

IMHO, it's not likely you need to change your slide needle profile for the mods you have done...

Yamaha_Rules69
11-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Well I'll try uping the pilot screw then before the needle. Thanks guys for the tip.

Dirtcrasher
11-11-2012, 05:26 PM
I've got all of that and a megacycle cam in there.

I believe I have a 50 pilot and 165 main. If I don 't stay on the throttle, it will bog down just a bit (In the midrange on a big hill etc).

It can be finiky to start sometimes do I think I could and probably just need a smaller pilot; But, I have never touched my needle and it runs great. Jetting is not spot on but it's damn close!!

Your pilot seems low, I would start there; But, the main jet may be a bit small too. I doubt you need a smaller needle valve.

Remember, the main jet affects the entire circuit. I would bump the main up a couple sizes and read the plug.

Jetting sucks and the dealers get a fortune for them but what can you do.....

Yamaha_Rules69
11-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Wow DC, a 165 main? Thats like 6 sizes larger than the 138. I havent really done a plug chop at WOT yet, still being nice to the motor. It feels crisp up top, but maybe thats because its a little lean also. Ill get a pilot and try that, and more than likely a larger main. I'll let you guys know what I find out, and thanks again for the help!

RIDE-RED 250r
11-12-2012, 01:01 PM
In all honesty, if you can swing it buy yourself several main and pilot jets so you have a selection to dial everything in just right. I know jets are expensive and that stinks.

If it were me, I would be looking to supply myself with the next 4 sizes richer than stock pilot jets and at least the next 4 sizes richer main jets. You should have all the bases well covered with a selection like that.

Liquid-Darkness
03-26-2014, 08:07 AM
What octane were you running with this new 10:1?? I remember with my old 10:1 setup I had to run 91 premium and it jetted just fine..

BleedRed
03-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Definitely I would go up on the pilot. I am at a similar altitude as being right over in wisconsin with the same compression piston with a slightly opened airbox and a aftermarket exhaust and I'm running a 45 pilot 150 main.