PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket plastic gas tanks?

jays375
11-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Thinking about purchasing a plastic gas tank for my 350X.Mine isn't to bad,few dents and dings.Very little rust in it either.Just the cost of body work and painting.That is something that I am not very good at.So what are opinons on plastic gas tanks?Thinking of even getting a red one.How glossy is the finish?Some look to be on the dull side.

blue27
11-07-2012, 08:57 PM
There is a thread somewhere on this...and you will both good and bad... I have a black one on my 350X and have no issues with it.

90guy
11-07-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm also rocking a black one on my ride. It looks good idk how red is tho.

jays375
11-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Well I read some people had trouble with scoops hitting forks.Wonder how long before a white one will turn yellow?

90guy
11-07-2012, 09:19 PM
I have a white plastic one laying around that's a little yellowed. Not certain on the time it takes to yellow but it does happen letting it sit with gas in the tank makes it faster and also sitting in the sun does.

fabiodriven
11-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I picked up a nice used white plastic Clarke tank and it's slightly yellowed but it still shines up nice with a little WD-40. If you get tank decals, make sure you perforate them before you place them on the tank. Otherwise the fumes will travel through the plastic and bubble your decals until they eventually peel right off.

90guy
11-07-2012, 09:36 PM
I picked up a nice used white plastic Clarke tank and it's slightly yellowed but it still shines up nice with a little WD-40. If you get tank decals, make sure you perforate them before you place them on the tank. Otherwise the fumes will travel through the plastic and bubble your decals until they eventually peel right off.
Thanks for that info Fabio never thought if that!

just ben
11-08-2012, 12:10 AM
I don't know about white but I met a guy at TF that had a natural tank (translucent) almost clear and it looked very nice and was a few years old. I guess though white would be the most susceptible to turn color but even a two year old tank is not a very good gauge as the plastics used then and now I'm sure are very different.

fabiodriven
11-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks for that info Fabio never thought if that!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/147784-250SX-tank-decals

They're coming up on two months now and not showing any signs of bubbling or peeling whatsoever.

jb2wheels
11-08-2012, 12:24 PM
The old white Clarke tank on my 85 350X sounds like Fabio's - faded a bit a dull. But it's had a harsh life.

I would refinish and coat the original if mine was useable/saveable when I got it but it dies an inglorious death.

My 86 350X has a new white Clarke waiting for it.

The Clarkes are functional and will never dent or rust. I have no fitment issues or fork problems.

bmanley
11-08-2012, 02:48 PM
I have a white Clarke tank also. I bought a set of super scoops and put the decals there, kinda like the 86 250Rs. The clark tank scoops holes were a little off on one side so I had to oval the holes in the scoops out to get them to fit correctly, but once the hardware is there, it is not noticable.