PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z R&B jug?

Rigaman
11-05-2012, 12:08 PM
I just bought a tri-z motor with a jug that has the letters R&B stamped on it. Might be B&B, but looks like R&B.

The guy said it was a big bore jug. But he said it was bored to 262cc. That is what my stock cylinder is with a 70mm bore. So I dont know what the R&B cylinder is. I would have to open it up to check.

Anyone have any info on these?

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/Rigaman/IMAG1911.jpg

Rigaman
11-05-2012, 04:30 PM
No one knows what R&B means?

zmpolaristech
11-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Rhythm and blues...Duh!

RIDE-RED 250r
11-05-2012, 08:54 PM
I picture showing the whole topend would be helpful.

From what you posted it resembles a stock cylinder. And it clearly looks to me like it says R&B. My guess would be some shop named or initialed R&B ported the cylinder. I have an R cylinder with "TOM K" engraved on the bottom of the intake. There was some rough porting done along with the addition of 2 boost ports. I asked around on the 250r forum if anyone recognized it but nobody did.

I bet that's about what's going on with your cylinder.....Not unheard of.

Rigaman
11-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Ya. It is a stock cylinder. Just says R&B on it. It is a fresh top end. I dont want to pull it apart, but I think I am gonna to check out if it was ported. The guy I got it from had another ported cylinder that someone went a little too far on the boost port and cut down into the sleeve. So I bet he realized he screwed it up and had some shop do his porting.

Howdy
12-27-2012, 10:25 PM
I will not take credit for this info. I am mearly the messenger:

From Joe L. on 3 Wheeler Worlds Facebook page:

Okay so your site takes to long to become a member so you can post. I'll post the answer to this post here. Curtis Ross ported this cylinder he was the owner of r&b performance and one of the top engine builders of the time. Greg Baker a kawasaki factory support rider race out of r&b. This was a Oklahoma city based business. WILL SOMEONE REPOST THIS THANKS JOE

Howdy

Howdy
12-27-2012, 10:44 PM
More info from Joe:

Thank you. I talked to Curtis last night he said he only remember Doing one of the tri-z cylinder's and thought the owner of it was out of fort Smith Arkansas.

Keith Salyer
12-28-2012, 08:23 PM
I thought Gregs dad was the B in R & B performance. I vagely remember Curtis being at the races. The Bakers flew the R & B banner at the races back in the day. Gregs dad was the driving force behind gregs racing. You could tell he really enjoyed racing with Greg. Greg has a shop in OKC that builds performance choppers/ Harleys. Heck it could still be called R&B Performance.

Rigaman
12-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Oh sweet. Thanks for the info. I have this cylinder on my tri-z right now, and this z goes incredibly fast.

I wouldnt be surprised if the cylinder made it from Arkansas to MA. I would like to know more about R&B. I have searched all over and havent found much. Now I have some more info, that really helps.

I would like to add. The tri-z I have this cylinder on is all pretty much bone stock. Stock reeds, Dg pipe, stock carb, stock gearing... It is Incredibly fast with this cylinder on it. I cant believe the difference a ported jug really makes.

My buddy has his ported almost identicle, but the R&B porting is a little wider, and the boost port is higher on one side than the other. I dont know if this cylinder was an incredible trial and error job, or if he really meant to port it like that with a flow test, but I have never felt power like that out of a tri-z that was so close to being stock. Not even close.

Rigaman
12-31-2012, 02:27 PM
More info from Joe:

Thank you. I talked to Curtis last night he said he only remember Doing one of the tri-z cylinder's and thought the owner of it was out of fort Smith Arkansas.

OH. So this cylinder might not be the same one? I would love some confirmation by Curtis if this one is from him. You would need a decent machine with a ball end mill to put the R&B in there like that. So it is definately not done by an at home armchair racer like me.