PDA

View Full Version : 1984 ATC 70 "hesitating"

branstetter412
10-27-2012, 03:31 PM
I am having a problem with my favorite little 1984 ATC 70. It starts right up and idles great, but when I give it some gas, it just seems to "bog down" and never revs up. Do you think it is a carb issue or possibly a gas line issue. It almost seems like it is getting just enough gas to idle, but any more and it really struggles. I did a carb clean (the best I could as an amatuer). I do need to mention that there is a good amount of rust on the inside of the gas tank. Could that be causing this problem? Could the fuel flow be disrupted by rust particles building up in the hoses or somewhere else? The tank looks really good on the outside, but looking at the inside with a light reveals a good amount of rust. Is there a cure for this? Would I take it to a radiator shop? Any help is greatly appreciated. Ron Branstetter branstettter412@gmail.com P.S. I gotta get it fixed because my cool nephew wants to ride it. Thanks!156969

shortline10
10-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Adjust your points . yes the points will make it seem like its a fuel prob when its not .

250sxman
10-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Are you running an inline fuel filter? If so, some of the rust particles could be clogging it up, but letting just enough fuel pass through to let it idle. Also, the filter on the petcock could have rust particles in it restricting the flow of fuel to the carb.

you can also kinda half ass clean the tank by putting some 3/8 or 1/2" nuts inside and shaking it around to free up all of the rust flakes, and used compressed air through the petcock hole to blow most of it out. Not a permanent fix by any means, but it would definitely help.