PDA

View Full Version : FlyWheel Lightening

thestud25
10-25-2012, 01:35 PM
I am needing some advice from the pros in this area. I have several extra fly wheels for an ALT50 and I am wanting to try and remove some weight from it. Obviously I have no clue as to how to go about doing this, so any advice would be helpful. I was thinking about drilling it, or having it machined. Thanks in advance.

oscarmayer
10-25-2012, 03:40 PM
meeds to be machined. first is you mark all the way across the top and down the fron side of the flywheel gouging the marks for timing settings. this is needed as you will be machining off the timing parts. next you machine the outside of the flywheel down to about 2/3s the origional size it was thickness of the wall. So that means measuring it w/o the magnets to get a good feel for the wall thickness and then having a lath turn it down.
That's really all there is to it.

thestud25
10-25-2012, 07:57 PM
This is a 2 stroke so no timing marks. But you are saying remove the magnets and have the inside turned.

Yamaha_Rules69
10-25-2012, 08:47 PM
No, you have the outside turned. Do you have a pic of the flywheel?

thestud25
10-25-2012, 09:16 PM
No, you have the outside turned. Do you have a pic of the flywheel?
I'll try to post one tomorrow.

jeswinehart
10-25-2012, 09:18 PM
From what I have learned from re-doing Tecate flywheels (and personel exsperiance in lightning for my own use as well as for others)

I am sure you already know this Jonathan simply because the way you are asking,,,, but ya gonna hear it anyways :)

In lightning the flywheel you will loose bottom end torque (low end grunt) and that is why it is advisable to have a stock and/or heavier flywheel if tight woods or MX riding.
Straight line point A to B, better to have a lighter flywheel so RPMS fall off quicker in between shifts + rev faster (too high is a waste though since you are out of power band anyway)
Tecates do have reference markings on the outside and as Oscar pointed out, need to be punch marked (if present on flywheel) if taking off lot of stock from outside.
I have the blessing of adding weight with my encapsulation material and can simply adjust final weight by removing outside steel from housing (plus it makes for a really fine looking finished product + and normally a heck of a lot more balanced piece)
I can/will do work for you for a pitence, I like using my mini lathe (you cover return shipping of course + tell me what your looking for, if you know yet).

Link to my Tecate flywheel work. Sorry about the missing pictures that a freaky rare something happened.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/120914-Tecate-flywheel-upgrade

PM me if I may be of help ,,, john