PDA

View Full Version : 83 250r wont shift into 5th all the way?

toki
10-20-2012, 06:54 PM
bought it blown up. new top end, crank and rod bearings. blah blah. the trans gave me problems when putting it all back together. i did turn it and test all of the gears before i put it in the bike tho. everything SEEMED fine.

heat cycles and all done i took it for its maiden ride. 1st thru 4th are fine. altho 1st 2 neutral seems to be like a full shift causing me to have to shift twice to hit second. same for second to first. fifth it will shift up and then nothing. neutral. i can feel it click up and engage and then pop right out. if i fiddle with it and HOLD it up it stays in fifth but it takes a lot of force.

i have too much time into this motor already. please tell me i dont have to split my cases...

in this pic from the manual my part # 7 does not look the same. it only has a few teeth on it. its not a whole gear. i assumed that it was just a change done to the 83-84 models. a previous post about a shift problem i read makes me think i didnt line the 2 parts up right?

HELP?

toki
10-20-2012, 10:27 PM
im thinking i might not have truly had it in neutral when i lined the shift spindle and everything up?

help please this is killin me!

RodKnockRacing
10-21-2012, 10:27 AM
im thinking i might not have truly had it in neutral when i lined the shift spindle and everything up?

help please this is killin me!

that would be my guess

toki
10-21-2012, 11:55 AM
at least i dont have to split the cases to get to that... im still not amused with myself.