PDA

View Full Version : ATV Interchange website I'm building

ps2fixer
10-19-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm a programmer and can build interactive websites, so I figured something useful to make would be an Interchange program/website for three wheelers. The thing I'm lacking is exactly what parts interchange with what. So if I can get some help and can get a near complete listing I'll build it. I'm looking for straight bolt on interchange with little mods like swapping a 200x front end on a 250sx, or exact parts that interchange within a 250es and 250sx like the primary clutch.

I mainly have 250es and 250sx machines, so I can test swap most parts in my free time, but am interested in any three wheeler. I would like to expand it to three wheeler/ quad parts that interchange as well like carbs etc. My main focus is 250sx and es machines to start with, and yes.. I'll use the search button as much as possible and other sites for resources. I would like to also throw up the OEM part numbers etc too to make life easier. Any other suggestions / ideas?

I'm thinking the website will be the best option, easy to update and I can hook it all up to a database, down side, monthly costs to cover, but ads should offset the cost (not looking to profit really). I'm thinking the format should be where you can search part numbers, part names (ex 250es swing arm), and the standard Make->Year->Model->Part setup.

Flyingw
10-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Wow, thats a tall order. Basically you would have to gather all part numbers by year and model. I have seen some Honda fiche sites that do show applicability for any given part number. I find that info very useful especially for part numbers that have been discontinued and superceded by other part numbers. A good example of this is the flat faced bolts like the 8x55 used on the R. The 8x55 is discontinued but there is a 8x55 dimple head bolt used on quads in lieu of the flat faced bolt used on the R.

With out trike parts becomming more and more discontinued every year, we find ourselves looking for suitable substitutes. Sometimes the parts may not be exact but it still works just as well.

Flyingw
10-19-2012, 11:33 PM
I too am an SX guy and have done part number comparisons between the SX and ES. There are some common part numbers between the two. I know you are looking at more of a top level comparison but having a complete part number cross referance database would be a huge task but it would also be very valueable. How can we help?

ps2fixer
10-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Right now any details on parts that work is great. If you can give a part number for my own reference would help out a lot. I'm going to be basing a lot on that Honda site's database, photos etc. If I don't have any copyright issues, I have a copy of most ATV/ATC manuals in pdf form as well. For the part number database to cross reference, that won't be too bad, I can make what people call a web scraper, which pulls and formats data from websites. As I said, my main focus is on 250es/sx machines, but I'm open for other swaps. The example above about the R bolts is a great example I would like the site to be full of. I know honda likes to change part numbers on things, even if they don't really change anything, so reference just by part number would only be for people wanting to keep exact OEM parts on their machines.

Just to add to the list of things of interest, I would be interested in parts that interchange between the fatcat/big wheels and the three wheelers, since I'm sure parts for them are even harder to find. Another note on the interchange "requirements" is that I would be interested in including aftermarket options as well, and even "upgrades" Like changing top ends around, cylendars, heads, etc and what changes are required to make it work. I just don't want to get into mods where you need access to a machine shop or tourch/welding skills, unless it is pretty stright forward, like I read a 350x engine bolts right in a 250x quad frame, but there is some fab work required, I think the exhaust or top mount or something.

Another thing I would like to include on the site is a good rim reference for factory / upgrade options. Like the 83 250r rear rims and 85-87 big red rims are the same bolt pattern, but the offset is different. The big red rims add 2-3 inches wider like a wheel spacer, and I think the tires an an inch wider. My cuz loved the swap compaired to the factory ones.

One thing to note, I know this site isn't going to be put up in a day or anything. I'm planning to get the main core of the logic made and throw up what I know and work on part number cross references and accept user input for things to add and mistakes to fix.

I'm always open to ideas, or examples :).

Oh... trying to think of a domain name as well. Maybe ATCInterchange or ATVInterchange.com, since if I'm going to build a web scraper for ATC pages, I could just go on and hit the quads as well.

d_b3ck
10-20-2012, 02:07 AM
This is a awesome idea, u should make sure to add all the brake swap info for the 200x i think those work with a few others as well

ps2fixer
10-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Links would be handy too, I havn't been here all that long, so I havn't read the good old threads with interchange details yet. Once I get the OEM parts and a basic site up, I'll be looking to add the extra stuff that is more or less trial and error.

Just an update on this, I think I came up with a database design that will work. Populated it with 1985 and 1986 250sx airbox part numbers for a trial run.

On my own machines, I wonder if there are any dirt bike forks that end up being bolt on for the 350x tripples and can handle the weight etc. Would be nice to have the option to buy new with out going NOS :).

EDIT:

Just thought of this "interchangable" part, so going to log it here :). Clutch cable from a 1987 TRX250X fits on a 1983 ATC250R. Only requirement to make it work is to relocate the holding bracket on the side cover since the cable comes out of the housing longer. This should cover the cables from 87-92 TRX250X fitting on 83-84 250r's. One thing to note, the cable is pretty close to the side cover, not sure if it ever hits or not, isn't on my own machine to check.

d_b3ck
10-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Heres the link, theres alot of part numbers in there for the calipers that will swap over

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/65970-brake-caliper-swaps-for-83-85-200x-s

ps2fixer
10-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Heres the link, theres alot of part numbers in there for the calipers that will swap over

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/65970-brake-caliper-swaps-for-83-85-200x-s

Wow... lots of great info there, stuff I needed to know lol, got a 250x and a 350x that wouldn't hurt replacing the rear brakes on (the 350x is missing it completely).

Another side note, I'm planning to add buttons on the site for users to verify swaps/interchanges, and provide reference links and credit where it is due.

d_b3ck
10-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Ya its awesome when u find out u can use newer/ cheaper parts that bolt right on to these older machines, the kx80/85 rear calipers go for around 40 these days the guy that made that got lucky with how cheap it was

ps2fixer
10-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Bought a domain that seems suitable. Primary target is three wheelers, but with this domain name I can expand to four wheelers, fat cats, side by sides, etc.

http://atvinterchange.com

Got a simple "what's to come" page for the homepage. I get to do the hidden programming now, so there won't be many visable changes to the site for a while.

matt22895
10-21-2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/94809-Kxt250-Tecate-3-What-Parts-Fit-Swap-Interchange?highlight=tecate+swap Heres one that nd4speed done a awesome job on tecate part swaps.

ps2fixer
12-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Been a while since I updated this (and the site :(). I threw a few more pages together to get a better "feel" of the website. Still far from done, but besides being a resource of info, I'm thinking of making a page on there as an open market place for new and used parts. I know ebay has crazy fees, but hosting the site does cost money, so I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to make the site make a little money to keep it going, maybe some ads.

Anyway... to see the "hidden" updates as I go, check out http://atvinterchange.com/index2.php and let me know what you think so far. Seems like the domain name was spot on, #1 rank for the search "atv interchange" along with this post being #2 :). Also... I know the email link don't fit on the page, it isn't a public page currently, so I'll fix it some other time.

Primary goal currently is to get the basic layout of the site made, so I can tweek anything that seems a bit off before throwing a bunch of code together to make sections actually work.

toki
12-02-2012, 04:22 PM
sweet!

very nice looking site too. professional and easy on the eyes. i cant wait to see some data tho!

keep goin!

ps2fixer
12-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the support, I'm still working on the database design for the actual parts info. Current design seems split up too much, so it won't scale well (lots of users will crash it).

ps2fixer
12-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Another update on this, started to build the search engine part of the site. Seems the db design I picked loads quick and is flexable to design :).

I would like some input on the search page. The actual textbox search does not function yet, but the clickable links do and you can see the results update at the bottom, which will change later, mainly for debugging right now. There are only 5 machines added to the database, and the search page shows all of them at the bottom, so you have an idea what results should be expected.

http://atvinterchange.com/search.php

Sites to compair aginst:

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.html
http://www.shopwevegotyourparts.com/oempartfinder.htm
(cars based) http://www.hondapartscheap.com/?gclid=COHIz_LLgLQCFcXb4AodWnoAwA

I kind of like how hondapartscheap is simple and does not require several page loads, but isn't as flexable to *find* machines that you don't know the exact info of.

UPDATE:

Added from 1971 to 1987 Honda ATV models to the db, that should cover *most* people here for testing and such :).

volfan537240
12-05-2012, 03:05 AM
you can cross reference part #'s on powersports plus. maybe you can use their site to help you out.

ex: 85 tri-z swingarm bolt cap

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-3R4-22129-00-00.html

ps2fixer
12-05-2012, 06:13 AM
I'm still working on how to get the data for part numbers for the machines (possible copyright issues), and the site will support cross reference by part numbers, but that is a basic interchange check, which just means the part will be 100% exactly the same. If 1 tiny thing changes, even if it is just for a different year/model, they change part numbers. My hope is once the site is up fully, I can use info on the web to start building a more advanced interchange lookup, such as brake parts that interchange between models, and what the requirements are to make it work. Wouldn't hurt to also include details like OEM rim bolt pattern sizes, and what other machines match that, and hopefully get more detailed info, such as rim off set, size, and width, maybe as far as OEM tire size/brand etc.

ps2fixer
06-20-2013, 01:51 AM
I revamped the site a bit, instead of going 100% pure custom code, looks like wordpress will make it work fairly well. Not perfect, but really not too bad :). Feel free to create and account and submit any interchange stories you want. Photos are always great!

Currently the interchange details are located at: http://atvinterchange.com/wp/

nd4speed
06-20-2013, 02:49 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/94809-Kxt250-Tecate-3-What-Parts-Fit-Swap-Interchange?highlight=tecate+swap Heres one that nd4speed done a awesome job on tecate part swaps.

And it still hasnt made it into the world class help section :wondering

Anyway Kawasaki.com owner info cross references the parts numbers...so that's how I find some things out.

ps2fixer
06-20-2013, 02:54 AM
I agree that checking part numbers is one of the easiest ways to check if something will interchange, however, sometimes the part number changes and there is such a little change in the part that both part numbers will work fine. Another example are which hubs swap to which machine, since none of the part numbers will line up :).

I'm slowly working on adding details to the site, so far I like it!

ps2fixer
06-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Made the word press version the primary version of the site now. Registration is open and you can post articles, photos, general details, etc. Any help building up the details would be great! If the site hits it big I plan to make donations to this site since it wouldn't be possible with out the great info being here. Adding references in the articles is a good thing to give proper credit to the findings and viewers can do their own research based on the details :).

If anyone sees any issues with the site, spelling errors etc, let me know. I'll be working on the theme in time to make it more ATV/ATC based.