PDA

View Full Version : 85 200x make faster HELP

weaseljeep
12-02-2003, 03:46 AM
I have an 85 200x. I want to make it faster, but not spend a lot of money. I have a dg exhaust ordered. I was wondering what sprocket sizes i could change to that would make it faster. I was also wondering whta else would make it faster. also i need a new rear shock because it lost the charge. the shock is ok just the charge. what could i do to fix this and what all years and model of atc's would have a shock that would work. I want to go fast please help

86waterpumper
12-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the boards weaseljeep. Mods to a 200x are pretty much the same priniciple as any four stroke, you want to get more air/fuel in, and more exhaust out. This means bigger carb, more airflow, better cam, pipe, higher comp piston etc. You can do one on a budget, and use xr200 parts, such as the 26mm carb, six speed bottom end, etc. like some others on the board have done, or you can go all the way and buy a whole powroll kit if you want to sink some real green in it. Faster is a relative term, and changes your sprocket and gearing decisions. Faster on takeoff, or topend? The 200x tops out at around 50 or so stock, so if you want more top speed, then get a larger front sprocket like a 13 tooth. If you want more bottom end power, go with a 11 tooth or something. The back sprocket is just opposite from the front in otherwords larger rear sprocket means more bottom end power, smaller one for top speed. I would change out the front sprockets at first since they are cheap, and easy to change. Decide on the gearing you want from that, and then buy a nice set of chain and sprockets. Just remember, it still isn't going to be blinding fast, and you will sink a whole bunch of bucks into it and still not probably be able to hang with a 350x. This is why I bought my 350x, I saw that after I modded the 200x I would have enough in it to buy a 350x, and have a bike with lower reliability and less torque. Now for smaller guys, that weigh say under 150 pounds, the 200x is a better choice, and in the right hands can be wicked fast in the woods. As far as your shock goes, hondas are pretty good about not blowing them , you might find a replacement shock on ebay or used for pretty cheap, or have that one recharged for roughly 30-40 bucks or so.

jdparsons1
12-02-2003, 02:12 PM
So is the XR200 motor the same as the 200x with the exception of 6 gears? It will mount right up in a 83-85 frame? THats pretty cool if it is. I have always wanted that 6th gear like the 86 and 87 200x has but there are just so many more parts available for the 84. I was looking at a picture and the motor looks identical.

86waterpumper
12-02-2003, 02:59 PM
The motors are very similar. Some of the xr200's had dual carbs I would steer clear of those. I think the best way is to make a hybrid of the two motors. Tdup here on the boards has a bike built in such a fashion. I know for a fact that he runs alot of tight steep trails, so he used the 11 tooth front sprocket for lowend, and overcame it with the six speed where the topend was about the same as before. I don't know if he used any of the 200x tranny gears or not, it seems like the xr200 tranny would have way different gearing because of the larger dia. rear tire. The xr200 motors have alot of benefits, larger carb, higher compression (10:1) and the six speed, as well as probably a hotter cam. Adaptions would probably need to be made where the sidecase off the 200x could be used so that forward kick could still be functional. You will want to ask someone that has done the mod, I myself haven't tinkered with it, but it seems like a low buck approach to having a fairly hot 200x setup to me.

weaseljeep
12-02-2003, 04:25 PM
thanks for the help waterpump, any more advice would be great. See my dad bought the 200x when it was two years old then it has now sat until about two months ago. i got it out cleaned the carb and got it running. took it out last weekend and it just didn't seem to be as fast as it was when i was little, since i am now 24 and the last time i rode it i was about 12.

weaseljeep
12-02-2003, 04:27 PM
any other tips on little cheap tricks i can to do make this thing perform better would be much appreciated.

MPNX2
12-02-2003, 05:06 PM
I am in the process of doning some mods to mine in hopes to make it a little more peppy. I have an all stock '83 200X that my fiance rides she is well under 150lbs. I tore the whole thing down to the frame and pulled the motor apart. My egine is at the machine shop now getting the work done that I cannot do at home. After I am through it will be bored 1.00mm over uping to CC's from 192 to 201 it will also have higher compression from 9.6 to 1 stock to 10.25 to 1. The head is going to be ported and polished and I am going to with a midrange cam from Webcams as well as high performance valve springs. After reassembly of the motor I will be running a bigger carb 26mm instaed of the 24mm stock size. I already have a Cobra pipe but I really dont like it so I may get the DG pipe. I am really hoping that this will make a difference and liven the bike up some. It really just boils down to how much money you want to spend. Good luck let me know if you have any questions that you think I could help you with.