PDA

View Full Version : leaking decompression seal

remsandpets
10-18-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm tired of the seal leaking on the decompression leaver on my 83 Honda 200.
I have one ordered a new seal from my local motorcycle shop but will be next week before it comes in. Sigh... I'm half tempted to pull one off the 185 I have till it comes in. I just wanted to vent a bit.

oscarmayer
10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
to stop the leaking of oil for the week do the following.
take brake cleaner (carb cleaner has slight oil and will not let i stick) and spray the seal completely clean.then take siome black hi-temp silicone and apply it aorund the entire seal and a little of the lever shaft. this will ensure all spots are sealed up. let it dry for 2 hours, then your set. don;t sue the decomp leverl to start it till you repalce the seal. but that should stop the leakign till you replace it.

remsandpets
10-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I never use the leaver anyway. Does not seem to do anything. Even lifting it while running.

oscarmayer
10-22-2012, 10:49 AM
btw, when you get the new seal, check the sealing surface of the lever shaft. there is a possibility, that it is pitted, if so, take soem sand paper to it and sand it somewhat smooth.

remsandpets
10-22-2012, 04:38 PM
It "looks" round and smooth, till I get a micrometer on it I just assume its a good seating surface. I ordered a new seal and should be in this week. I used some silicone sealer on it so far. Still leaks but not that bad. Usable, but it drips on the exauhst. I will still ride it but fear a oil fire one of these days. Ah. Ill just strap an extinguisher to the rack.

ps2fixer
10-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Ill just strap an extinguisher to the rack.

Don't forget the photos! :D

remsandpets
10-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Will do. As with anything else old I drive. I never leave home without means to repair or go further away from home than I'm willing to walk back it I don't carry tools, repair options.

kb0nly
10-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Funny this came up, i just replaced that very same seal on my 200ES this afternoon.. I did a top end refresh but the seals weren't here yet when it came time to put it back together, so i have been dealing with a slow weeping oil leak around that dang lever a few days, finally got the seal replaced today and the engine degreased, now it will finally stay dry! Took like five minutes tops to replace it.

remsandpets
10-23-2012, 04:34 AM
Yeah, easy fix if you have the seal in hand. At least it is available and not discontinued.

honda200x1987
10-23-2012, 09:33 PM
The 86-87 200X decompression seal is discontinued, I got lucky and found one on eBay the other day. I got a 84 200ES that had a bad decomp seal, seems this type of seal is wears more often.
Yeah, easy fix if you have the seal in hand. At least it is available and not discontinued.

kb0nly
10-24-2012, 09:35 AM
I think the previous owner used the decomp lever a lot on mine and that wore out the seal, the electric start wasn't working when i bought it, so they were using the decomp and the pull starter to get it running every time. Now that i replaced the seal and use the electric start the seal will probably outlast the rest of the trike... LOL

remsandpets
10-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Like I posted earlier, I have never used it. Its not hooked to anything and I can pull start it when its warm. I almost always have to bump-start it which I hate doing. Replacing the seal just because it leaking.